Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi on sd card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi on sd card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperactive7
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: poi on sd card Reply with quote

hi guys there seems to be little info on the correct way to transfer poi on to micro sd card.i have a garmin 1340 western eu and i have tryed to load all my poi,s onto the sd card using poi loder,latest version. do you nedd to add the garmin system file onto the sd card then make a poi folder on the card also for all pois. maybe some one one here could detail in sequence how to do this please.

ps why didnt garmin give the option to show poi,s on the map like tomtom
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: POIs on SD Card Reply with quote

I have a 760 and the way I do it is first put SD card in a reader and create a folder called POI - that's only for convenience so they can be easily found.

Next, put SD card in Garmin, power up and connect to computer.

Use POI loader and select the option to copy to a custom folder, select your POI folder on the SD card and Bob's yer uncle!

Note every time you turn the SatNav on, it will ask you if you want to copy the POIs to the SatNav - if you only want them on the SD card you need to say NO each time. This is useful if, for example, you are going to France where it is illegal to use camera warning systems. If you get stopped, just remove the SD card and reboot the SatNav (preferably before the Gendarme arrives?)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: POIs on SD Card Reply with quote

Meter_Man wrote:
for example, you are going to France where it is illegal to use camera warning systems.
Where did that come from, Shocked or is it the beginning of another urban myth Shocked or is it Switzerland that you are thinking of?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is useful if, for example, you are going to France where it is illegal to use camera warning systems.

Actually GPS based devices are not illegal. It's just the Gendarme don't like you using them. If it where illegal PGPSW wouldn't be supplying the data like it doesn't for Switzerland.

However Radar and laser detectors are illegal in France.
hyperactive7
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: re poi on sd card Reply with quote

hi meter man
thanks so very much for replying,i will follow the instructions as you have said and report back many thanks
david.....

ps
does there need to be any system files copyed from the garmin system onto the sd card in order for it to reconise the poi,s
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a nuvi 255.

On my SD card there is a folder named "Garmin" and within that is a folder named "Poi" which holds the poi.gpi file.

Personally I just put the SD card in the card reader. In POI Loader, I use Save Options...Garmin device.

The POI Loader now recognises the SD card as a Garmin device and loads it up without browsing to the file or channelling everything through the Garmin unit.

Nothing else is needed on the SD card, no system files at all.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: