Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1490T poi on map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1490T poi on map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: 1490T poi on map Reply with quote

I currently have the Tomtom 730T and I'm looking to replace it with the Garmin 1490T due to being fed up with the TT's routing compared to my previous Garmin. Admittedly the TT wins over my previous Garmin for settings options, especially the ability to display selected POI's (not just cameras) on the navigation map and set proximity alerts with voice prompts.
So my question is can the Garmin 1490T display my chosen POI's like for instance McDonald's and alert me at a set distance as I approach them on a route.
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I received my 1490t last saturday so am still learning its features.
Ive loaded the PGPSW Safety Cameras and some pois from this site and some from elsewhere.McDonalds included.I have also downloaded from here the Liz warning sounds for the cameras and converted them to wav files and installed sox.
Now to your questions YES it displays the icons on the 3d map as you are navigating.(earlier reports say not but they work for me on latest v4 firmware)
I loaded the poi files with Garmin poi loader,set distance as mph and express setting for warnings and all working great.I suppose if you use Ash's Camera Utility from this site you could customize the warning distances but I have never had the need.
Its a great satnav and the screen is awesome,much better than TomTom and Ive always been a TomTom fan due to the customisation options but I prefer Navteq mapping to Teleatlas,it just seems more accurate and as a truck driver that is important to me.
Hope this has helped you to decide.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DracUK. Thanks for the reply.I note you say you prefer the Navteq maps over the Teleatlas, this was one of the reasons I am looking to go back to a Garmin, I previously had the Garmin C510T (TTS hack) and the routing showed and announced the number of the next road etc "Turn right A511 Ashby Road" (which the Tomtom does as wel)l, however having gone into Halfords (bless them) and had a play with the 1490T it only displays and announces the name and not the number of the road etc "Turn right Ashby Road" I tried a number of settings and routes and they all done the same No road number . This is not good as I need to see the number of the next A road, as like you I also drive trucks and work to road numbers and not names.Whats your experiences of this.
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the 510 with hacked tts and your right the 1490t does not pronounce the road number.It does however show the number on top status bar.I didnt even notice that, as Im on hols at the mo and havent had it out on the road.I will miss that too,think I will fire an email off to Garmin and see if it can be sorted with a firmware upgrade or if its a map error.Will keep ya posted

Safe trucking Drive

DracUK
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well have just emailed Garmin so will wait and see.I have just simulated a route from Hull to Scarborough and it didnt mention or show any B road information apart from road name but it did show and pronounce the A614. I am gonna run some more routes to test

DracUK
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any in put would be gratefully received as my Tomtom is currently on auction, and if there is an issue with the road numbering on the Garmin I will pull my TT auction until it's clearer
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its pronouncing road numbers, Ive just ran another route.East Hull to Scunthorpe and it mentioned A164,A1079,A164,A15
Havent had a B road number mentioned yet though and my batteries nearly flat,will try later.Its slow when simulating a route.

Maybe Halfords demo was running old firmware.Im on latest v4.00 with latest 2011.10b Europe maps

BTW Have you seen those discontinued models Garmin 7200 7" on ebay? £130 was £700,dont think they are TTS though,not sure.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DracUK. How you getting on with the 1490T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: