Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap creating massive .map files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap creating massive .map files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexdodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Satmap creating massive .map files Reply with quote

Hi,

I used my new Satmap for the first time at the weekend to record where i'd been on a 40km cycle ride over about 6 hours (some nice refreshment stops on the way).

When I got home, I stopped it recording and created the route from the track I'd done.

Using Satsync I noticed that it had created 3 x .map files - One of which was around 2gb, another 1.2gb and the third about 200Mb. Downloading the first of these took about 2 hours and this seemed to contain the entire route, the other two I can't do anything with because Satsync crashes (I'm using a mac).

So a few questions really: -

1) Why did it create 3 x .map files?
2) Why were they so big?
3) Satsync crashes often when i use it, is this to be expected on a mac?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
EDIT:
IMPORTANT
Read below but see my next post before taking any action.

I don't use Mac, but that should not be the issue.

The only reason you should get 3 .map files from one raw track is if you converted trail to track 3 times.

Under no stretch of the imagination should the unit produce gigabyte files on a 6 hour bike ride. The only suggestion here is that you may not have reset properly at the start.

I can't comment on the crashes.

I would suggest you clear all saved data, do a full reset and try again. If that fails call Satmap.

Last edited by jonesbach on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
IMPORTANT
Thought just occurred to me. Are you confusing the .map mapping file with the .map route file, they will both be on your SD card. I would suggest that the 2 larger files are your mapping and the 200mb file is your track - can't explain why this crashes.

Last edited by jonesbach on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Satsync on an iMac running Snow Leopard with no problems at all, so it's unlikely to be that. I've never seen a gigabyte-size file of any description on my Active 10, apart from the actual maps themselves. I don't wish to patronise you, but since you are a new user, you're not confusing the file that contains the OS maps with the log files created by when you record your journey, are you?! They will both have the same file extension (.map).
Other than that, I agree with the above poster - try a full data clear (DO NOT DELETE THE OS MAP FILE FROM THE SD CARD!), try to record another log file and see what happens.

Rob
alexdodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, that was a close one!

Thanks for the advice, you were right I have been a complete noob and deleted the actual OS map files. Silly me for assuming that they would have a relevant name and that they would be write protected!

Fortunately the 2 hours was well spent as I simply moved them to my mac before deleting them from the card so it should be easy enough to put them back on the card (and I have a nice backup too!).

No worries about patronising, you were correct and I deserved it Smile

I guess the early lessons are often the most valuable ones.

Cheers,
Alex
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I have often wondered whether you would get a warning, did you delete from Satmap / Satsync or by putting the card in a Reader? If deleted from Satmap I think they should seriously consider adding some checks and at least a warning before deletion, it could be argued that a complete refusal to delete would be in order.

I trust you didn't reformat the card as there are a couple of other Satmap files on the card that you wouldn't see from Satsync.
alexdodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted from within Satsync, and there was no warning whatsoever - this does seem a bit silly and I guess I won't be the first or the last person to get a bit confused and do this - hopefully the backups will function correctly.

Ah well, at least I've provided some safety information to the forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: