Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 550 live google search problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 550 live google search problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Tomtom 550 live google search problem Reply with quote

Hope someone can help,bought a tomtom 550 just over a week ago,worked fine for a few days.now google search and weather wont work,when i press google search or weather it says TO USE THIS SERVICE YOU MUST CONNECT YOUR DEVICE TO TOMTOM HOME.HD traffic is working fine as are the safety cameras.the network is connected and a good signal.ive done a reset and a back to factory settings but changed nothing.TODAY I FOUND THIS OUT WHEN I HAVE NO GPS SIGNAL IE IN THE HOUSE GOOGLE SEARCH AND WEATHER WORK.its only when gps is active they wont work help.

(Edited to remove bold text effect - does my eyes in. DennisN)
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: tomtom 550,750,and 950 live Reply with quote

Is there anyone who has got one these units,tell me if there google search is working at the moment? Iam running navcore 9.026
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An odd one. If a reset to Factory Settings didn't work then I'd suggest you need to speak to TomTom.
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: tomtom 550 live Reply with quote

Tell me about it! Been in touch with tomtom since the problem started,still waiting for reply. ANYONE OUT THERE GOT A 550,750,950? and the google search and weather is working on navcore 9.026?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you look under "my services" in live services to see what services and expiry dates are given?

When you entered your username and password for your Live Services did you do this on the device rather than from within Home? It does not properly work when set up from in Home.

I assume you did buy it form a UK retailer and it is the UK version. Look under the network signal strength and see if the SIM card starts with 8944.

Also check you have set a Home location on the device.
lyngarth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom 550 live Reply with quote

BAZZA77 wrote:
Tell me about it! Been in touch with tomtom since the problem started,still waiting for reply. ANYONE OUT THERE GOT A 550,750,950? and the google search and weather is working on navcore 9.026?

Yep my 550 with 9.026 is working fine, both weather and google is OK.
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim starts with 8931,bought off amazon uk two weeks ago,ive set my home location and also my user name and password on the device.o and the tomtom services is ok till may 2010. hd traffic is working fine just google and weather.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xx31 is a Dutch based SIM card ID which might be partly to blaim but x50 devices have European roaming enabled by default so it should work while in the UK, give TomTom a ring on 0845 161 0009 and see if they can add any detail to this issue, make sure you tell them the SIM code though and the country of issue vs where you are trying to use the device - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
xx31 is a Dutch based SIM card ID which might be partly to blaim but x50 devices have European roaming enabled by default

Do we know of the roaming covers ALL live features or perhaps it only covers traffic and or a subset of the home live features?
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: sim number Reply with quote

tomtom said makes no odds what sim number is,google and weather work ok as long as i have no gps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do we know of the roaming covers ALL live features or perhaps it only covers traffic and or a subset of the home live features?

This is exactly what I am thinking in that only HD Traffic is true roaming and Google/ weather is location based - Probably a cockup with the software and one to be discussed elsewhere later - Unless you can direct Najib etc to this thread for comment - Clearly something isn't quite right but the SIM ID is what I expect to be the issue to be honest - Mike
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: sim id Reply with quote

if sim id is the problem? how come google search works when i have no gps,also it worked when i first got the 550.and also cameras work.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sim id Reply with quote

BAZZA77 wrote:
if sim id is the problem? how come google search works when i have no gps,also it worked when i first got the 550.and also cameras work.

Well I'm speculating but it must use GPS to confirm location for delivering Weather etc and perhaps uses that as a secondary check for entitlement to LIVE services when roaming.

If there is no GPS it may not be able to check and thus allows access when you would otherwise not be entitled to it.

But as I say, we are speculating as we don't know for certain.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom 550 live google search problem Reply with quote

Post Deleted by Andy_P
Reason: I have a long memory Bazza77....

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: sim Reply with quote

Just been talking to a bloke in holland,hes having same problem. he bought it in germany but lives on the border and travels to germany alot and it wont work in any country.and his sim is german based.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: