Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oh dear - What do i do now
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh dear - What do i do now
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Oh dear - What do i do now Reply with quote

Firstly I do not have a windows backup of my Tomtom - (Dont ask, disk got wiped Mad )

I have a 720T and tried the latest map download, this came back with not enough memory error free up 29mb - So i cleared around 50 by removing other languages from the western_erope directory - started another update, which failed again (15mb? ) - so tried once more and got 9mb this time.

At this point windows through a wobbly and closed down my explorer and Home windows. On restarting my Home, i looked ofr what map I had, but it came back an said the map was not authorised ( ? cant remember exactly) for this device. The restore is not an option, and I now have no maps on the device.

Will TomTom help me through this? I would ideally like to "blow" away the whole device and reload from scratch.

Very annoyed, that my backups have gone, but also that this all started because TomTom cant release a map that fits on the standard internal memory Sad

Any ideas ?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You downloaded the map through TomTom Home. It should be available to re-download for a while - several months, if not a year.

Map is linked to your GO by the email you used on TT Home. Did this get lost in the crash? Check the login on TT Home first.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
You downloaded the map through TomTom Home. It should be available to re-download for a while - several months, if not a year.

Map is linked to your GO by the email you used on TT Home. Did this get lost in the crash? Check the login on TT Home first.

I have the yearly download update subscription.

When I go into home and check for updates - it comes back with a blank screen - no options. My login on the TT home page still works fine.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dl map will be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Save yourself alot of hassle and get a 4-gig sdhc card for your unit and install the map there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get Home to offer you the map again, got o the downloads directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map

....and DELETE (or move somewhere else) the entire folder for the new map.

Once you've done that, Home should offer to download the map for you again if you go to "Add maps".
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map

....and DELETE (or move somewhere else) the entire folder for the new map.

Once you've done that, Home should offer to download the map for you again if you go to "Add maps".

Thanks,

I have now tried that, but it still comes back with "no items available" when I try the update.

EDIT: got it to load the map from the computer by going to the SHOP in HOME. It showed I had the map loaded on my computer. This downloaded OK, but I now get -

PROBLEM WITH MAP

You cannot use this map on this device.

- On manage my device, it now shows the map as being installed, but says that it needs to be "activated first" ?

Any thoughts ? Really hoping I dont have to call TT if possible.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the information here is of assistance. Explains how to install a map without using Home.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map ....and DELETE (or move somewhere else) the entire folder for the new map.

Just had a look on my computer to see what I have got and there are LOADS of map and Navcore updates on there using A LOT of my PC's memory. Can I delete all the old maps / Navcores and just leave the most recent ( to free up some memory ) ?
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seemed like a good time/place to ask the question.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To activate the map extract the file that ends in .dct from the activation cab file in the map downloads directory and put it in your maps folder on your device.

Yes you can clear the downloads folder to free up harddrive space (not memory) but you may later regret it. Back it all up to a USB harddrive or burn it all to DVD before deleting would be my advice.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage space on the hard drive isn't very costly these days so I wouldn't go deleting everything although it is possible to download older Navcore versions for any device directly from the TomTom servers as long as you know the URL, I hope this situation doesn't change but TomTom could at some future point alter the way Home works with the server to make it more secure and as a result slamming the door on direct URL downloads.

To give you an idea of storage space consumed by TomTom related files I am currently using 220GB of drive space on one of my 750GB drives just for TomTom related maps/ Navcores/ back ups etc and I only ever keep a single Day 01 back up rather than multiple backups as I have no need for anything more than a single backup - Maps etc are all stored indexed by device and version - Mike
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got much the same problem (silly me). Got the files

Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip
(which extracts to give a whole load more files than those I already have in my map folder on the device, including a whole bunch of cspeech_XXX.dat files where XXX = country abbreviation)

and

activation_map_51202.cab

which won't extract at all either using The Unarchiver or Stuffit Expander.

BTW, I tried clearing out ~/Documents/TomTom/Home/downloads/complete to see if it would offer the map again - but it wouldn't.

Help ... Sad
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archchancellor wrote:

activation_map_51202.cab

which won't extract at all either using The Unarchiver or Stuffit Expander.

But extracts OK using keka ...
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I can't copy the files across because there's not enough room ...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ archchancellor, I have asked Darren to take a look at this thread as the issue could be MAC related with files that need removing from your XL Live (remember it helps to state the device rather than have us trawling around and second gussing what hardware you are using). Hidden files/ recycle bin issue that MAC's leave in a dirty configuration until purged.

If it is your XL Live then I can only assume it has been sent back to TomTom at some point and stupidly had a map installed that contains the ASR related files (cspeech_xx.dat), Home stupidly then tries to install the new map complete with these files that the device cannot use (as it has no microphone).

If I knew how to expand the map download to a specific folder on the MAC, delete the crap thats not required from it and add the .meta.dct file prior to copying the expanded folder to the device I would tell you what to do, but I am afraid all I have ever used from the wondefull world of Apple is the iPhone so this one needs help from a MAC user who understands how to do the above - Mike
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - apologies for not posting that it's a Mac.

As I write, Home is downloading the update file again, so I hope that may resolve the issue. Will post again tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: