Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Your help is needed - Manufacturer seeks your assistance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Your help is needed - Manufacturer seeks your assistance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who says that using any kind of phone (hands-free or not) while controlling a moving vehicle is not distracting is either superman or justifying a very dangerous habit - I think that 99% of in-car calls are so trivial as to be unnecessary. Using a phone is basically very different to listening to the radio or a passenger talking. Trying to handle complicated technical and business issues while driving is just a no-brainer. But the ones that really disgust me are the texters who hold the phone up in front of them and try to read the message while concentrating (ahem) on driving.

Unlike a phone, a satnav is a positive contribution to road safety as it takes away the stress of trying to keep track of where you are in strange areas and can re-route you quickly if roads are blocked etc.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

culzean wrote:
Anyone who says that using any kind of phone (hands-free or not) while controlling a moving vehicle is not distracting is either superman...

YO! Cool
culzean wrote:
Unlike a phone, a satnav is a positive contribution to road safety as it takes away the stress of trying to keep track of where you are in strange areas and can re-route you quickly if roads are blocked etc.

Only really if you don't interfear with the device while on the move. There have been some suggestions to some how prevent satnav interaction while on the move, except for voice activation or special features but requiring a full halt of the vehicle before resetting a new route. In that respect they present the same hazzards as any complicated device used at the wheel!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
In that respect they present the same hazzards as any complicated device used at the wheel!

But that is not the point. The quite detailed tests I read clearly demonstrated that interaction with a device that was not nearly as distracting as the call itself.

Although many think it is not distracting, try watching TV and taking a phone call and then have someone ask you questions about the TV prog after you have finished. The tests did just that and drivers could answer very few of the Qs.

Now imagine that TV prog is the road and you have driven along it without noticing hazards and other dangers! Scary doesn't begin to describe it.

The other part tested reaction times (this wasn't Mythbusters Btw!) and drivers engaged in phone calls were far far slower to react then others who were up to twice the legal limit.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But that is not the point. The quite detailed tests I read clearly demonstrated that interaction with a device that was not nearly as distracting as the call itself.

That may be true but on the few occations that I have tried to put an address into a PND while on the move I have had my eyes off the road for an addmitedly, dangerously long period of time. Naturally I don't do that anymore! Shocked

It's the buttons you see! They are too small for big digits like mine.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
That may be true but on the few occations that I have tried to put an address into a PND while on the move I have had my eyes off the road for an addmitedly, dangerously long period of time. Naturally I don't do that anymore!

Delighted to hear it! Of course that kind of behaviour is already legislated for by the offence of careless / inconsiderate driving or perhaps even dangerous driving.
Quote:
It's the buttons you see! They are too small for big digits like mine.

I make no comment fat finger boy Wink
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally it is best to have the phone off, as the temptation to pick it up when you get a text is quite high. My hands free kit does text to speech for sms so I can listen to a text easily but would still have to pick up the phone to reply.

Remove the temptation and resolve need to reply and you are some way there, but removing the need to take that important business call. Now there's a challenge!

Took me four minutes to type this with my fat fingers! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: