Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - lost HD traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - lost HD traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got absolutely no problem with people tinkering as much as they like!

Just so long as they realise the risks don't expect TomTom to sort it out if it goes pear-shaped and it bricks the device (we all know that's possible, with incompatible boot loaders etc.)
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang,

I've not been able to dial into ANY of the Live services this evening - first noticed at 9pm and it's now 1am. Usual messages such as "An error occurred on the TomTom server". Have tried factory reset, etc but no joy. My subscription is not due to finish until May, so I'm still well within it.

Perhaps it's a localised Vodaphone problem - I'm in the north Lancs/south Cumbria area.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by DaveMatthews on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that something isn't quite right with the Live services at this time in the UK, whether this is a regional problem (which I rather doubt) or a server issue where the data is distributed from (most probable) who knows, I just added an (educated guess)

Its known about and affecting loads of units, should you want to give them a ring the number is 0845 161 0009 they re-open on Monday around 08:30 if nothing else make the call to demand compensation for the service outage you suffering and you might get a free month or two added to your account - Mike
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having problems with Live Services. I haven't "tinkered" with my device. TomTom Customer Services are continuing to "try and sort the problem out" but this has been on going since the start of January. I live in Cumbria.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As there hadn't been any activity on this thread for quite a while, I had assumed everything had been sorted out. Indeed last weekend it all worked perfectly for me on a journey from Carnforth (Lancs) to London and back again.

--

Cheers,

Dave
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I left home this morning, drove through the town of Carnforth and still no HD Traffic but as soon as I got on to the M6 it sprung into life, along with the other Live services. Every few minutes I dialled in to the Weather service and it worked fine. Arriving in Lytham (near Blackpool) and everything is still good.

Will post again after I've returned home - it will be interesting to see if I lose the services again when I arrive back in Carnforth.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by DaveMatthews on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I had an outage for about 15 mins leaving Chesterfield and joining the M1 at J29. Not long after joining the M1 normal service was resumed. This was at approx 3:45pm today.

It is still not a reliable service, since November it has been very on and off.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, reporting back on developments...

I left Lytham and travelled M55 and north up the M6 - all services working as expected. Arrived in Carnforth and they all dropped out. Just as an experiment I travelled back to the motorway junction (J35) and, voila, all services spring back to life again.

So in my case there does seem to be a "regional" problem - albeit extremely localised. I'm guessing that there is a problem with the Vodafone "cell" that covers the Carnforth area and as I approach the motorway I am being picked up by an adjacent cell which is working OK.

Having said all that, my mobile phone happens to be with Vodafone and that works OK in Carnforth.

Very odd!!

Could it be that the manner in which Live services data is being sent from TomTom cannot always be handled by some mobile phone masts?

--

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by DaveMatthews on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Blackpool at 07:00 this morning heading for Newbury and had no Live services for the entire trip, on the way back nothing until I stopped off at the most Northern service station on the M40, from there to Telford it worked fine. I didn't reset the device just a simple power off/ on and the Live service magically reappeared!

This is with a 940 which I also noted still has the memory leak when playing mp3 files for more than three hours, the sound starts to stutter and the music drops out everyfew seconds (to save the device from a certain re-boot I shut off the mp3 player) It might be time to return it to the original software version as supplied when the device was new as at least it worked back then! - Mike
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like a problem with the unit itself, Mike. Assuming you used the M55, you must have been picking up the same mobile phone cells as I was.

My own 940 is running Navcore 8.371 (with v815.2003 maps).

Are you saying that, having got the services working after an off/on, they dropped out again ater you passed Telford? If so, did you try another off/on?

This morning (Sunday) I'm picking up all Live services in Carnforth as per normal. What the heck is going on here?! Could it be that the mast (or Base Station?) had a "reboot" over night?

--

Cheers,

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked again this morning from Telford back to Blackpool with no issues, I don't think the problem is with my device which was running the latest version and mobile phone signals are a rather local in coverage so I doubt its a UK network issue - My guess would be a server issue rather then anything else as it affects multiple devices accross the country - Mike
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
My guess would be a server issue rather then anything else as it affects multiple devices accross the country - Mike

But that wouldn't explain the issues I had yesterday. Ah - unless TomTom actually provide a "round robin" distribution of ("replicated") servers and the one picked up by the Carnforth cell is different to the one used by the adjacent cell by M6 junction 35.

A distribution of servers makes sense in that it means there aren't thousands of units all dialing into a single server plus it provides resiliance in that if one of the servers fails, it's only certain mobile cells that can't dial in rather than the entire Vodaphone network.

Well, that's my theory anyway!

Anyway, contrary to this morning, Live services are once again unreachable in Carnforth. As ever, though, no problems making calls on my Vodaphone mobile.

--

Cheers,

Dave
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Getting the Warning Triangle in the midlands now - "Cannot Connec to Wireless Servies"

Showing Strong Voda Signal in settings
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chesterfield to Coventry leaving at 8.10am this morning, no problem with Traffic all the way on my 940. Coventry to Chesterfield leaving at 2.15pm, again no problem with Traffic all the way.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here (touch wood) in South London. Been using it all week and no issues, even though i have a weak VodaFone signal here it usually catches first time. If not, then second...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: