Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO vs PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO vs PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: GO vs PDA Reply with quote

Hi there,

Great forum Thumbs Up - Ive been reading for a couple of weeks and following the launch of TomTom Go with interest.

I'm afraid this is another "Which is best question", so I thought I would identify my requirements first:

1. I want a SatNav solution that can easily be swapped between 2 cars.
2. I want a neat/tidy install that looks good with few/no wires.
3. I dont want to spend much more than £400.
4. I dont own or have a major requirement for a PDA.
5. I would also like a Safety Camera detection system.

I realise some of these may be mutually exclusive, but my choice comes down to TomTom Go or a PDA/BT GPS/Tom Tom.

I do really like the Go, have read the reviews and the thread on here, and it does all I want apart from the Camera database. Some concern over the visibility/screen etc but at £425 it seems a good option. How easy does the holder transfer between cars? Will you be able to buy a second holder seperately in the future?

If I go down the PDA route, for say a ipaq 2210 with SD card, BT/GPS, TomTom 3 and car kit it will cost at least as much if not a little more, so the issue is more down to points 1 and 2. Where the PDA scores is the fact I can get the Camera database.

I am slightly more confused about the installation/portability options on the PDA front:

If I want to use it in two cars, is it better to have two car kits?
Where is it best to locate the GPS Antenna? Some car kits seem to have a holder that holds both this and the PDA?
How reliable is the Bluetooth option? Ive had problems with using a bluetooth headset on my phone in the past.
How long does the charge last on bluetooth GPS? Is there much of a difference with different devices?

If I thought I could get a neat/tidy easily transferrable PDA option I would potentially go down that route, otherwise it looks like the Go.

Any advice/comments/answers to the above would be greatly appreciated.

Having spent quite a while reading topics on here, I am amazed there are so many things to consider...but I do find it fascinating. Most of all, this site has convinced me that my life is not complete without GPS :D

Thanks
Mark

p.s. Long shot - but has anyone got pics of a PDA install in a Mazda RX8?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the add-ons which are the problem with GO - as far as I know you can't run Checkpoint, GPSAssist, ukpostcodes, PocketGPS safety camera database etc These add a lot of functionality to TomTom and would be a strong reason for going down the PDA route for me. But GO satisfies your first 4 requirements admirably
Robin
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look around you can get some good prices on iPAQs and TT3 at the moment.

I managed to get a 2210 and TT3 with the TT Bluetooth receiver and a decent 256meg SD from www.ebuyer.co.uk for about £370+vat delivered next day plus a Brodit proclip car mount and car charger from www.handnav.co.uk
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I went for Ebuyer too. I've used em a few times, and have been reliable, and the stock levels always seem to be good, so you can normally get what you want. Cheap too I noticed
cgriff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know PC WORLD are doing the 2210 ipac with tomtom3 and gps mouse and tomtom car kit for £399
chris66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: tom tom go Reply with quote

have had this for about a week now and its brilliant , yes it does lack some of the "add ons" but if you want a neat and tidy set up for your car as i did without all those wires this is the one for you voice guidance is loud and clear even while listening to radio etc , to remove just pull lever amd release suction cup and you away , all in all a brilliant piece of kit!! Thumbs Up
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted portability in the long run, but bought a PDA setup.

If you are thinking Bluetooth, then even a basic Tomtom BT GPS will last around 5 hours, so you could have your primary car set up with a charge cable nicely installed, then just pop out the GPS for use in the secondary car.

Then just double up on the powered mounts (I have a tom tom one which is good, there are others too). That would give you a neat and tidy install for both cars, and then just pop the PDA into the cradle and off you go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: