Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - O2 XDA Mini S - Car Holder?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 XDA Mini S - Car Holder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: O2 XDA Mini S - Car Holder? Reply with quote

anyone got any recommendations for a car holder for the O2 XDA Mini S?

I don't think O2 ever had an in-car kit for this PDA, anyone got any recommendations on a device to hold it to windscreen or dash?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit make a number of holders for the Mini-S in both Active and passive styles, landscape and portrait just don't forget to order the Pro Clip to suit your car along with the holder of choice see Here - Mike
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Brodit make a number of holders for the Mini-S in both Active and passive styles, landscape and portrait just don't forget to order the Pro Clip to suit your car along with the holder of choice see Here - Mike

Thanks Mike, I thought you'd respond. At that sort of money (which I expected), I only use my PDA for TT6 with BT GPS, which also occupies a power socket in the car. £38/£47 + £3, that's half the cost of a refurb TT 910 at £99, with bluetooth, I can do handsfree with my other mobile phone with this device (only occupies one power socket). So me thinks personally, it's not worth the investment. I'll have a think what my Chrimbo money buys.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your XDA is worth a few hundred quid, then it seems prudent to spend a little money on a cradle that will support it and protect it?

You pays your money of course but I've used many many holders and none are as good as a Brodit. Buy cheap pay twice as they say Smile
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Given your XDA is worth a few hundred quid, then it seems prudent to spend a little money on a cradle that will support it and protect it?

You pays your money of course but I've used many many holders and none are as good as a Brodit. Buy cheap pay twice as they say Smile

I appreciate what your saying, I don't believe that an old O2 XDA Mini S is worth £200, (when they sell on eBay boxes for £20!). The problem is I don't use if for anything other than TT6. I never have. Maybe when it was new and shiny, I may have spent money on a cradle and car kit. But I just think personally it's a bit old for that investment. When a TT 910 is £99, and has bluetooth for handsfree, which is another thing I need to do in the car!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your guide budget then?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with a second hand 910 to be honest, the maps will be well out of date and to get hold of the FM Transmitter mount will be very difficult these days, not to mention issues with the mount itself that caused problems for quite a few users, finally the battery will be on its last legs and they are a real pain to swap out.

If you can run to £125 then consider This its a better spec device and you get the latest map for free with the purchase and it does hands free for the phone. If you want to use the Mini-S with the TomTom for data then you will have to add the Bluetooth DUN profile to the phone but thats not difficult - Mike
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What's your guide budget then?

Well to be honest with you, when I saw the TotalPDA advert, at £99 for a 910, 12 months warranty, refurb, I thought well spending £50 on a mount for a PDA for the car, which is only used for TT6 and BT GPS, which occasionally gets losts, and needs two plugs to power them. It's not economical.

£99 seemed a bargain, when I've already got the bits left over from a 910, where the motherboard charging circuit fried itself!

But coming from town, I see there's a NAVI for £60, and a TT XL for £89, so the market has really changed. But I like the TT interface.
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wouldn't bother with a second hand 910 to be honest, the maps will be well out of date and to get hold of the FM Transmitter mount will be very difficult these days, not to mention issues with the mount itself that caused problems for quite a few users, finally the battery will be on its last legs and they are a real pain to swap out.

If you can run to £125 then consider This its a better spec device and you get the latest map for free with the purchase and it does hands free for the phone. If you want to use the Mini-S with the TomTom for data then you will have to add the Bluetooth DUN profile to the phone but thats not difficult - Mike

Mike

Thanks, I thought you might recommend something!

So the GO 520 is better than the GO 910?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount is better and the 520 is a much slimmer unit fitting in your pocket easier, the big plus point of the 520 is once updated to the latest Navcore and map (all for free as this is a new device) you get IQ Routes 2, advanced lane guidance and reality view. With the 910 it will cost you to update the maps as it's a refurb and it won't have IQ Routes, ALG or reality view - Mike
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've had that 520 on order from CPC for a while, the case and NAV-Mat arrived, the 520 went missing in the post/carrier over the bad weather, and now they've got no more 520 because they've been discontinued! So returning all the other stuff to CPC....

I wondered why, I couldn't see that listed elsewhere....

any ideas whats similiar at same price? I'm a little confused by all these Tom Tom models, funny it's still for sale from Tom Tom, but I'm not paying £75 more!

At this rate I'll be buying a cradle for my PDA again......
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a TT520 and very happy with it, excellent piece of kit!

I've been meaning to spend money on Handsfree for the car for ages, and this works a treat with my aging Nokia 6230i, and also Data Services work with this phone also!

Speed camera database loaded, additional voices loaded, very happy, a very feature packed TT!
kp40adman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 XDA Mini S - Car Holder? Reply with quote

I purchased a XDA mini s via ebay and found a decent carholder with gps on holder - never used it as I then got a free phone upgrade to an 02 XDA Orbit2 with Co-Pilot free on phone with built in GPS. My main Nav is a TT910, and phone Nav is a backup only. Holder is a large suction mount .. any offers appreciated.

einstein-a-go-go wrote:
anyone got any recommendations for a car holder for the O2 XDA Mini S?

I don't think O2 ever had an in-car kit for this PDA, anyone got any recommendations on a device to hold it to windscreen or dash?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: