Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 730 help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 730 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: tomtom 730 help Reply with quote

Hi

i have just brought a TT 730. before had a TT One V3 what i have noticed that it tells you to turn into a road but does not display the road on the screen. also i thought the 720/730 model had voice alert of the road/street you turn into

Many thanks
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To show the street names, tap the screen then tap "change preferences". Go to page 4 and tap "street name preferences". On that screen, ensure "show street names" and "show next street name" are ticked.

For the voices, you have to use a 'computer' voice. On page 1 of preferences, choose "voice preferences" then "change voice". Choose a voice (Kate or Simon) that has "computer" after it. Also on the voice preferences screen, tap "speech preferences" and make sure the first 3 are ticked.

I think that's all the options you need to check. Let us know is anything doesn't work. Confused
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome

The second part of your question is easy....

There are two types of voice installed on the 730, "real" recorded voices, like Jane and Tim in the UK, and "computer" or 'text to speech' voices such as Kate and Simon.

The real voices just have a list of around 80 phrases which are used where apropriate, whereas the computer voices can be made to say anything they like, including the street names.
Switch to one of those and you will be given a list of options on two pages, the very first of which is "Read aloud street names"

Now.. the first part of your question has me confused!
The display while driving should be very similar to your old machine. A moving 3d view of the road ahead. when it wants you to turn off, you should get a blue arrow in the bottom right corner and the display will show the road approaching.

Maybe you mean you want it to show the NAME of the road, in the top right? That's done in "Street Name Preferences" in the preferences menu.

In addition to that, on motorways and some major roads, you can set the device for "Reality view" where it shows you a pretty picture of the lane layout, enabling you to choose the right part of the road.
This only works where they have programmed it into the maps, and you can switch it on or off in the preferences with "Show lane images" (if it's switched on already, it will show "Hide lane images" in the menu).

EDIT: Gah! beaten to the reply by a minute!!
Nas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply i have made the changes and avery thing is now working. is there a better night display on the 730 then the crap blue one

thanks guys for your help Smile
spook45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out TOMTOM.com for hundreds of day and night color schemes. They also have POIs that are available for download. Use HOME to load and activate the color schemes you download.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a day colour scheme called "GBNew" and at night I just set the TomTom to use that same one but dimmed.

I've never found it necessary to change the colours to see it well at night.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I use a day colour scheme called "GBNew" and at night I just set the TomTom to use that same one but dimmed.

I've never found it necessary to change the colours to see it well at night.

I also use GBNew during the day, but I use Astra at night. The problem with GBNew isn't seeing it well at night but, even dimmed, I find it's too bright and reflects in the windscreen, causing distraction.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
...even dimmed, I find it's too bright and reflects in the windscreen, causing distraction.

You've got a 720 haven't you?
I quite agree with you, but I'm pretty certain it's down to the TT software rather then the colour scheme.

When TT started tying to produce unified software versions that worked on all of the x20s/x30s and x40s, I found that the 720 doesn't dim as much as it used to. Using the same software on my 720 and the 940, the minimum brightness is vastly different...
Dimmed on the 940 is fine, but on the 720 it's just too bright at night.

(The screens look similar between day and night because the camera was on auto exposure. Just compare left to right)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Andy, I've got a 720.

Thanks for posting the pics. That's certainly some difference between the dimmed 720 and 940! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to find I am not alone in using GBNEW I use at night too, but my unit is fixed to a Brodit vent mount so no reflections in screen for me. Smile
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: