Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, forgot to change that!

done now

MaFt
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chart is now an app: "Compare GPS Apps"

Itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334274305&mt=8

US only at the moment
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now updated with Navmii UK

NDrive London (aerial view) also added but needs the data adding!!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few tweaks to the Navmii section of the chart:

* TTS reads out some road numbers (M and A class roads) but not all.

* Road speed shown where known not limitted to just when travelling overspeed.

Quirks - Its a bit too talkative in built up areas.

Speed camera warnings seem to be heading based generating multiple warnings for a single camera (although its fine on a straight road).

Cons - TTS Handles some road numbers - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
TTS reads out some road numbers (M and A class roads) but not all.

added

mikealder wrote:
Road speed shown where known not limitted to just when travelling overspeed.

i only see the road speed on driver safety view OR if i'm over the speed limit... Confused strange

mikealder wrote:
Quirks - Its a bit too talkative in built up areas.

added

mikealder wrote:
Speed camera warnings seem to be heading based generating multiple warnings for a single camera (although its fine on a straight road).

my initial tests told me it wasn;t directional but i'll take another look after i've eaten...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its directional, in fact I am 100% it isn't but as your cars heading changes it will turn the camera warning off then back on. This leads to multiple warnings of the same camera. Think of it operating more like a narrow field of view cone projected in front of the car on the current heading and as the vehicle changes direction cameras are placed within the cone or out of it (a bit like the old speed cam warner we used to use with TTN3 or to visualise what I mean go back to GPS Speed Sentry - Mike
geolife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Navmii's algorithm Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Think of it operating more like a narrow field of view cone projected in front of the car on the current heading and as the vehicle changes direction cameras are placed within the cone or out of it (a bit like the old speed cam warner we used to use with TTN3 or to visualise what I mean go back to GPS Speed Sentry - Mike

This is not true. Navmii uses a sophisticated algorithm to detect speed cameras, the detection algorithm looks on the roads you can possibly move onto, not the field of view. Also, it gives a warning for each speed camera that is on your perspective, so if there are two cameras you may encounter, there will be two warnings.

Navmii does not use directional speed cameras at the moment. So, this could be the reason (it could give a warning also for a camera that observed the road in opposite direction).

If you certain that there was just a single camera on your way and navmii generated multiple warnings, please could you point out the place where it happened as it likely indicates a bug in navmii.

Also, about TTS: at the current moment, navmii does not use TTS. It uses pre-recorded sound clips to pronounce ALL route numbers (not only 'M' and 'A').
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Navmii's algorithm Reply with quote

geolife wrote:
If you certain that there was just a single camera on your way and navmii generated multiple warnings, please could you point out the place where it happened as it likely indicates a bug in navmii

N53,79427
W-3,03063

When traveling along the B5261 (its a camera I pass every day) and to be honest there isn't another location close enough to trigger mutiple warnings, you might have slightly different coords for the camera but these should be within about 10 meters of the true location.

geolife wrote:
Also, about TTS: at the current moment, navmii does not use TTS. It uses pre-recorded sound clips to pronounce ALL route numbers (not only 'M' and 'A').

Whilst its not TTS reading out the road numbers its better than some applications I have tried on this score, it just doesn't read the road numbers out every time from what I have tried, I have never heard it announce a B class road or its number, but to be honest the human recorded voice will always sound better than a TTS engine and what the app does at the moment is very good in this area - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to add Magellan to the mix now. Already in the US App Store for $79. Includes lane Assist, TTS, iPod Control and their iPhone/iPod carkit should be available pretty darn soon. Based on the same OneTouch interface from their recent pnd line, it allows the user to build their own custom menu for frequently used options or information. This one looks like it has potential.
Web announcement here: http://www.magellangps.com/iphone/iphoneapp.asp

EDIT: The app offers a couple of unexpected features like multiple destination and route optimization along with speed limit warning. The car kit will be available by the end of the year. Just like TT's, it will offer integrated gps, speaker, microphone but also be compatible with the iPod (second gen) coupled with any of the TBT apps. Looks like they really thought this one thru.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 - do you fancy helping us out then and email me the stats that need to go into the chart?

MaFt AT pocketgpsworld.com

cheers

MaFt
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually intended to send them to you specifically today, but just waiting on an email confirming/clarifying a couple of points. One of them is "dual destinations" and the other has to do with app/map options and updates.

EDIT: Just got an email back asking that I call tomorrow. The contact is on Pacific time, so it will be pretty late in your day.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's fine, i generally don't stick to normal 9-5, mon-fri working hours anyway...!
davehutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Could yopu update TomTom please? Reply with quote

You still show version 1.0 and the Car Kit "coming soon"
I'm trying to choose between Navigon, TomTom and Sygic so this would be very useful.

The app data is also out of date as TTS and ipod controls are now part of TomTom 1.4
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Could yopu update TomTom please? Reply with quote

davehutch wrote:
You still show version 1.0 and the Car Kit "coming soon"
I'm trying to choose between Navigon, TomTom and Sygic so this would be very useful.

The app data is also out of date as TTS and ipod controls are now part of TomTom 1.4

i've not got tomtom myself so i can't update it. just waiting to hear back as to what exactly needs updating!

MaFt
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Trafficmaster to add now, too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: