Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX8220-BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX8220-BT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camatuba
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Kenwood DNX8220-BT Reply with quote

Hello every,
I have just bought a Kenwood DNX8220-BT, tried to upload the POI/spedcameras. It works only with the SD inserted in Crying or Very sad .
Is this normal? Is anyone have the same unit?
Please help
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you lose POIs/SpeedCams if you remove the SD card?

If so, is there no option when an SD card is installed for data to be copied to the Kenwood?
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same unit in my MX-5 and assuming you used Garmin's POI Loader software to create your POI/Speed camera data file, when you insert the SD card, the Nav unit should automatically inform you that the file needs to be copied to internal memory and that existing POI/Camera data will be over written. You then either confirm the copy or cancel.

Worked for me with each database update for the past year or so.

Updated maps can be run from an SD card but can also be copied to the internal memory using a laptop. You would need to backup the original map though as there isn't enough spare memory for more than one map.
camatuba
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

If so, is there no option when an SD card is installed for data to be copied to the Kenwood?

Yes, I do loose the POIs/SpeedCams. I have looked throu the receiver menu there is not a such option. I previousely owned a Kenwood KNA G-520, when you insert the memory, card it ask you if you wanna copy the POIs/SpeedCams to the internal menory but it does not happened to the DNX 8220 bt am really surprised.
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camatuba wrote:
Yes, I do loose the POIs/SpeedCams. I have looked throu the receiver menu there is not a such option. I previousely owned a Kenwood KNA G-520, when you insert the memory, card it ask you if you wanna copy the POIs/SpeedCams to the internal menory but it does not happened to the DNX 8220 bt am really surprised.

Just to be sure, are you using the correct SD folder layout? The POI/camera data file should be like this:

R:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi

Obviously, your device letter (R: in my case) will be different.
camatuba
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Yes, after removing the sd card I lose POIs/SpeedCams. There is not such option on this unit. I owned a kenwood kna g-520 and it had this option, right now I doubt that the dnx8220 bt unit is in good working worder!
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you insert the SD card with the poi.gpi file in the correct path (see my previous reply), does the unit automatically display a message informing you that 'POIs can only be used from Internal Memory etc... Do you wish to Copy...' (I'm typing this from memory and cannot remember the the full message).

If you are not seeing that message, it would suggest that either the file path is wrong (unlikely if the POIs work with the card inserted, but possible) or as you suggest, the unit is faulty.
WizardKing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you sorted it yet ?

I would suggest burning a cd, use the same folder-structure that Rebel stated i.e.

(CD drive letter):\Garmin\poi\poi.gpi

When burnt, insert disc, switch off then on again. Ignore any message saying 'Disc Error' , 'Read Error' or similar. Go to Nav, in a few moments unit asks if you want to add poi's . . . remainder is straight forward.

the Kurgen
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardKing wrote:
I would suggest burning a cd, use the same folder-structure that Rebel stated i.e.

(CD drive letter):\Garmin\poi\poi.gpi

When burnt, insert disc, switch off then on again. Ignore any message saying 'Disc Error' , 'Read Error' or similar. Go to Nav, in a few moments unit asks if you want to add poi's . . . remainder is straight forward.

I think camatuba has gone deep and silent as he has not replied to my post in November.

I wasn't aware that you could upload POIs via a CD. I'm sure there is no mention of this in the manual.

I'm having a problem now where the unit refuses to upload the POIs (mainly cameras) created after using Ash10's Camera Manager. It worked last time I did it, giving me voice prompts for the cameras as well as a second sound alert if I was exceeding the limit. Strange.
WizardKing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it is possible for the 8220, just thought it was worth a try. I have the DNX7240BT, there's no SD slot built in but I'm able to upload POI's both via disc (CD and DVD) or direct from laptop to headunit over USB.

After checking a recently used disc, I notice a slight difference in upper/lower case letters ;

D:/garmin/POI/POI.GPI

I've seen several variations of the use of capitals, it seems some models are more sensitive than others.

In the back of my unit's GPS manual, updating the software is explained to be achieved using either SD or DVD. (Although only the DNX9240BT has an SD slot.) It proceeds to give the same, vague instructions to upload POI's with Garmin's POI loader.

Of course, the POI loader has to be used to save a file which is then burnt to disc with the correct folder structure.

Have you updated your firmware/software in your unit ?
Although I've only had mine for a month, it's had 3 updates added.
(Check at Kenwood and Garmin websites.)

the Kurgen

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: