Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickyg1947
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

how often do tom tom check maps just downloaded latest map but it still shows roundabouts that have not been there for about 5 years have sent them to mapshare so many times but they still put them in the maps one is on the A5 Houghton road junction dunstable which are now traffic lights the other is houghton road bidwell hill junction in houghton regis which are also traffic lights
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the club!
Many people have given up sending in corrections.

But remember that TomTom don't make the maps, TeleAtlas do.

Now... TomTom BOUGHT TeleAtlas a while ago, but they are still run as two separate companies and they are still working out the system for reports made to TomTom to be ported across to the TeleAtlas verifying team.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reporting the "new" development I live in in the centre of Newcastle, and the changed roads and POIs around it since 2006. Still not updated.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point then ( from TomToms point of view ) in having an upload Mapshare feature on their sat nav systems if they do b@gger all about the information that people send them anyway ?

I have , in the past , taken the time to correct errors and have duly uploaded the corrections to TomTom , but I shan't be doing it anymore.
If they can't be bothered to add/amend their maps from the information we give them , then why should I bother telling them in the first place.

Rant over............Thank you.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand TomTom's reluctance to integrate the Mapshare changes.

At first I thought that they had hit on a brilliant plan - get the customers to do the hard work, integrate the changes and the charge the customers for those changes - brilliant!

Then I could see that this wouldn't work in practice, without them checking them (e.g. closing A40!).

But you would think that they could use the submissions as notifications that a bit of road needed re-surveyed. At the moment they seem to ignore them!

Maybe you need a certain number of submissions of a particular change before they will roll out and have a look?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel a fair bit around the Costa Blanca in Spain. Its amazing how many new roads have been built in the last 4 years, do any of them show up on the new maps from TomTom, nope. I often travel a 10 kilometre stretch of major road/motorway, the TT just shows I am driving thru fields and asks me to regain the road when possible Rolling Eyes

I just paid for a 1 year subscription for new maps, to be honest I am thinking it is money I have wasted.
theberties
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are all expecting too much. i have been travelling the A423 from Coventry to Banbury for the last 44 years and there has never been a roundabout in Marton unless you own a TomTom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theberties wrote:
you are all expecting too much. i have been travelling the A423 from Coventry to Banbury for the last 44 years and there has never been a roundabout in Marton unless you own a TomTom

Same here for A420 in Wick between Chippenham and Bristol

51.452235, -2.41844.

I told Teleatlas back in the days of whatever and I've told TT with MapShare with 9 separate, different devices. I only use MapShare for this and a couple other local junctions which annoy me and upload them even though I never download MapShare corrections myself.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely its obvious that by keeping the maps as out of date as possible they actually constantly con customers in to buying new ones in the hope that the missing road etc will be added only to find that they are not so they then feel they have to buy another map update..........................

Last edited by Capvermell on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I want to check whether a particular road/junction has been added or not, I always look at the route planner on the TT website, which (I assume) has the latest version of the maps on it. If that is correct, then I will see if I can ask in here for someone to verify that the latest version has been updated too. If that's not correct, then I know (surmise) that the change hasn't been made yet.

But of course, the vast majority of the general public don't even know about this site (sadly)....so TomTom don't need to keep updating the maps. As long as they carry on giving people the perception that the new maps are much better than the old ones, people will keep on buying them...

It's a shame, but you don't need to have your customers' needs at heart for them to make money. Features-wise, TT still have the upper hand - 95% due to HD Traffic in my opinion - so unless someone like Navigon (hint hint) can hurry up and get this working too, then they have little or no competition at the top end of the market breathing down their neck. It won't take much for TT to realise they need to get their act into gear technically - but it hasn't happened yet...

J-P
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
I travel a fair bit around the Costa Blanca in Spain. Its amazing how many new roads have been built in the last 4 years, do any of them show up on the new maps from TomTom, nope. I often travel a 10 kilometre stretch of major road/motorway, the TT just shows I am driving thru fields .

Out of interest, what map & version were you using?
i.e Western Europe - v8.35.xxxx

What was the road that was not on the map, any ideas?

From experience these maps are actually very accurate for our Iberian satnav followers, where I know new roads have been put in over last year or so, they are already on the new maps! ( wish i could say same for some UK roads still missing ! )
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpg1 wrote:
It won't take much for TT to realise they need to get their act into gear technically - but it hasn't happened yet...

Great amounts of unfavourable press and magazine coverage about their heavily out of date maps and failures to act on MapShare corrections are needed to embarrass them in to action.

I found that emailing the chief executive of Teleatlas and cc'ng it to the three executive directors of TomTom worked as a way to get the name of my own road (wrong for numerous years on Teleatlas by one letter) finally corrected on the main Telatlas database that then percolates out to multimap.com etc, etc, etc.

I had tried just filing a report on the Teleatlas website but inevitably nothing happened to get the main master mapping database changed until I complained to their top brass directly and attached a copy of the earlier error report.
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capvermell,

That would be great if it works! There is a particular road on my journey to/from work that has been turned into a no through road and they have put turning restrictions in at the junction - the TT nearly always navigates an impossible route around this, since the turn restrictions are in place but the new road (straight on) is only there as a dead end. That would save me perhaps 5-10 mins on my journey home each day, since there is often a traffic jam just after that road, but because the TT doesn't give me that route option, I can't see how long it'll take.

Would you mind PMing me with those names & email addresses?

Thanks,

J-P
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it about time we all stopped paying for map updates until we know exactly what is contained in the new releases? Tom Tom why don't you tell us what has been changed in each release? I appreciate there could be 10's of thousands of different changes between each update etc and that would prove difficult to administrate, but to say nothing about what has been added/changed is outrageous? - Surley you could name the major changes to the infrastructure right?

I really don't feel comfortable about paying for something I don't know what's been included or corrected? That is why I have now stopped paying for quarterly updates until the whole process has been made transparent.

I always find my local routes (especially speed limits along the A127) are always incorrect when a new release comes out.

Evil or Very Mad I am fed up wasting time correcting the wrong speed limits, road names, roundabouts each and every time a new map release comes out!

As a group we should all vet our anger at both Tom Tom (map share) and TeleAtlas. Can someone on here (with better knowledge than me) perhaps run a poll of some kind to gauge users feelings towards new map releases/mapshare data? Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Mark
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly I'm actually very pleased with the latest map changes. Missing roundabouts have been added, turn restrictions updated, missing exit added, blocked roads now blocked etc. Perhaps they're just ignoring the UK and they're only updating maps in the US. Wink

One thing I do find strange though is how many of these are fixed by the latest map but are still wrong on both mapinsight.teleatlas.com and routes.tomtom.com. You'd think they would want to make sure those two sites were as up to date as possible so that time isn't wasted reporting errors that have since been fixed. I also have never once gotten an email letting me know that my report through mapinsight had been fixed and yet clearly many of them have been corrected. The last thing they would want is for people to just stop reporting errors out of frustration but it sounds like it's already happening.

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: