Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NT 2010.20 is now out - if anybody still cares
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NT 2010.20 is now out - if anybody still cares
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped them a mail, with a suitable whinge about the delay - dunno if it will help, but we live in hope!
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the recent release is described under MyMaps in MyGarmin as "...All Regions, Sept 09", so it seems to have been lurking around for a while before it was released/escaped. Confused
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disappointed to find the Longstanton bypass (Cambs) not shown on the latest maps. This was opened to traffic in Dec 2008.

Went to check at navteq, and it's missing there, too, so not Garmin's fault this time.

But why is it still missing from navteq, almost a year after opening?

I see it was added to OpenStreetMap in February. Seems that the free open alternative being better than the expensive proprietary one now applies to mapping.
RV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an email response from Garmin this morning, saying they are "Glad to help" and have reactivated my account!

So, excitedly (don't get out much) I logged into My Garmin and found that they had merely reactivated my account so I can download 2010.10 again - or buy 2010.20 for £69.99.... Grrrr

Emailed them back, we'll see what happens now....
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdmackay wrote:
disappointed to find the Longstanton bypass (Cambs) not shown on the latest maps. This was opened to traffic in Dec 2008.

Went to check at navteq, and it's missing there, too, so not Garmin's fault this time.

I see it was added to OpenStreetMap in February. Seems that the free open alternative being better than the expensive proprietary one now applies to mapping.

When OSM becomes more complete, and it will take a while, it will hit TA and Navteq like an express train. Encyclopedia Britannica suffered when Wiki hit the bootstraps, I think OSM will have a similar effect.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdmackay wrote:

You can always report missing things to Navteq via http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I had already reported it, forgot to say. Last time I reported something, took navteq 6 months to deal with it.

I'm wondering whether OSM isn't already complete enough to be a serious competitor. I've yet to find any area that isn't considerably *better* on OSM than on navteq. And not just in the UK.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RV wrote:
I've had an email response from Garmin this morning, saying they are "Glad to help" and have reactivated my account!

So, excitedly (don't get out much) I logged into My Garmin and found that they had merely reactivated my account so I can download 2010.10 again - or buy 2010.20 for £69.99.... Grrrr

Emailed them back, we'll see what happens now....

I emailed with the same whinge, they weren't prepared to give me a free update. I'm fed up with them, tempted to flog it and buy a TomTom at the moment.
RV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed back, didn't get a reply after 3 hours, so phoned and whinged....

After explaining my position and my feelings towards Garmin and their updates, they agreed to give me the 2010.20 update....
nachzehn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: no consideration Reply with quote

RV wrote:
I emailed back, didn't get a reply after 3 hours, so phoned and whinged....

After explaining my position and my feelings towards Garmin and their updates, they agreed to give me the 2010.20 update....

I wasn't so lucky! My '60 days' expired one day before the new 2010.20 update was released( even though i still havent been informed by Garmin, as promised!). I've asked for the new update and the response was negative. I feel the same as a previous post, sell it and buy a TOMTOM, which is what i should have done in the first place!
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Just a few other details for the new update

Eur NT 2010.1
Main Maps 1,675 MB
3d Map 319 MB
Time Zone 586 MB
Junction view 92MB

Eur NT 2010.2
Main Maps 1,811 MB
3d Map 347 MB
Time Zone 582 MB
Junction view 437MB

Having done the update I can agree with all your figure above, except the Time Zone one.

My TZ file is still dated 01/08/2009 and is 582MB, the same as before I did the update. Are you sure your TZ file got smaller during the update?

If you have got your figures the wrong way around, it means my TZ file did not updated correctly/completely ?[/i]
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those talking about moving to Tom Tom, it seems you should beware as
Tom Tom appear to offer only offer a 30 day new map gaurantee with similar restrictions to the Garmin offering.

The following post from another forum (made this month) illustrates the problem.

"Somewhat similar to all that I read above I also cannot fathom how tomtom interpret the wording of the so call "30 day map guarentee" that in my case must have been excercised on the day I bought the XL 3 series device. It seems that I had the latest map installed though no one can tell me when it was released. It appears that I inadvertently reinstalled the one that was in the device and that was my one shot free upgrade. If I am correct why did they pester me for proof of date of purchase. I was told that I probably had an older version installed and the 270.2001 was downloaded to replace. There has been no supporting evidence of this. So I lost out on how a right thinking NORMAL person would expect the guarantee to work. Once bitten twice shy. No more updated maps for me. If the device becomes outdated/impractical then it becomes a sunk cost and written off. I will update satellite positions only once every week or so and ignore map corrections and safety cameras.

What initially seemed to be an exiting purchase with lots of potential has become a bitter pill to swallow. All part of a learning curve in understanding how modern business operates."

Terry Walsh
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chastreo

Hi - I've checked and the TZ (TimeZone) reduced from 586mb to 582mb in the 2010.20 update
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Chastreo

Hi - I've checked and the TZ (TimeZone) reduced from 586mb to 582mb in the 2010.20 update
I've just been checking the backups on my PC.

My original maps were 2009.1 The TZ file was 586.
When I upgraded to 2010.10 is went down to 582.
When I upgraded to 2010.20 it stayed at 582.

So I'm not disagreeing with you, as there could be file set changes between the same map sets, depending on their build date. Very Happy

I expect the size of the Time Zone file varies with the layout of the maps and their tiles.

BTW, it's 582Kb, not 582mb Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: