Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic Reply with quote

I have purchased 12 months for my TomTom 720

As I live in Weston-super-Mare and drive up the M% over the Avonmouth Bridge with huge trailbacks, I expected to be notified of the slow fraffic and miles of tailbacks, but everytime I do an update it tells me there are no problems even when I am in a very SLOW long line of traffic.

Does the system work? All of the settings appear to be correct.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the traffic is there every day at the same time it is quite likely that the IQ routes in your TomTom unit know that this traffic moves at say 30mph at this time of day and as such you may not see this reported and it is already taken into consideration. If for some reason there were additional delays over the normal delays this would probably be shown as a delay. Having not driven this road, I do not know what is normal and what is not.

Are you seeing traffic incidents in other places when you touch the traffic bar and browse the map? Is there a green circle at the top of the traffic bar, this indicates that the traffic info is up to date?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this on GPRS or RDS-TMC traffic? Either way, I'd expect the traffic bar and then the map display to have at least an indication of narrow lanes. One problem with Traffic is the speed of updating - there's got to be at least half an hour from an incident (accident, traffic queues, whatever) happening to it being put out on the traffic service. To be honest, your own experience is rather more reliable for this journey on a "normal" day.

MrT I wouldn't expect IQ routes to know anything about this - IQR is historical, not current and there won't be any history of "today's" roadworks on the Avonmouth bridge. The alternative to cross the river is probably a 20 miles or so diversion, maybe more if you pull off the M5 in time to avoid the build up of traffic before the roadworks (but you pull off into Bristol, sort of frying pan and fire, really). Despite them widening a stretch of M5 thereabouts a couple of years ago, it's simply a case of (don't) grin and bear it where the M5 is concerned. Fortunately for me, I live east of Bristol, so I hardly ever use that part of the M5. But I verified the Specs cameras on that stretch recently and it was a 50 mile triangular trip.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know anything about roadworks, I just assumed it was the normal slow morning rush hour traffic into Bristol which IQ routes would probably have known about.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I did not know anything about roadworks, I just assumed it was the normal slow morning rush hour traffic into Bristol which IQ routes would probably have known about.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sorry, being a local I know about the current roadworks and I'd have sworn he mentioned them - Worra blunder, I shudder gone to Specsavers!!

Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very often approaching these roadworks in either direction I am warned of delays (anything up to 33 minutes) This is using RDS-TMC and it usually offers to reroute me.

Living just off junction 19 the alternative is long and expensive (50p for bridge if I choose that option)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By chance, today I had a job from Avonmouth and whilst that wasn't over all the roadworks, it did take me north on M5 after the bridge at 4pm. My 920 with RDS-TMC showed narrow lanes, my XL Live with HD traffic showed me nothing. On this occasion I suffered no delay at all.

So, TheGas, it doesn't look as if the service isn't working, likely to be something with your device. It might be useful if you answered MrT's questions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: