Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Decent Up-to-date Speed Camera POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent Up-to-date Speed Camera POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez_Gafys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Decent Up-to-date Speed Camera POI Reply with quote

Right I have the POI - Warner software and I downloaded the free Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database and implimented it into the software fine. I then went for a drive to me dads to test it out. This entailed a trip more or less down one road. On this road there are no less then 7 Cameras the database was aware of only one of these cameras but it was approx 100yds out (I had already passed it before it began giving the first warning). I then thougt ah well I can't complain the database is free ...

I then decided that I would probably get a more accurate database if I was actually paying for it (a funded db should surely give accurate data??) .. how wrong I was, I paid for a yearly subscription with www.poihandler.com, I then did a speed/safety camera update and decided to take a drive down this same stetch of road .. it again only detected a total of 1 camera ... the exact same one as the freebie database but this time its coordinates were correct. And its not as if the cameras are new, I would estimate that they are approx 3 years old from when teh road changed from 60 to 30/40 ...

So then you updates this database, do you reliy just on word of mouth for positions. And if it can't even handle the information for one road, what hope have I in the entire UK being accurate (ps its not just speed camera accuracy thats not good it also shows a shell garage that hasnt been there for approx 6 years and a moter museum that was closed down some 4 years agp)...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get anywhere near as 80% accurate, then you need to go and purchase something like the Road Angel. Our SC database is user funded. If nobody drives down that road, then the camera won't get recorded. We do source cameras from other locations when we can get our hands on the data, but most are from sight.

Nothing is going to give you over around 80% coverage of the country.
Jez_Gafys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right ill see what I can do to help then, I have a mate who actually makes speed cameras and was involved in designing the camera that takes you average speed over a distance (the ones that got trialed in Northampton). Anyways Ill ask hi if he is able to produce any sort of address list of UK mainland cameras.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: