Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 200 software upgrade to 300 or 550 series?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 200 software upgrade to 300 or 550 series?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandrbarrett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 200 software upgrade to 300 or 550 series? Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether it is possible to lioad 300 series or 550 series (or zumo) software onto a 200 series device to upgrade it to higher spec?

I have a zumo550 as my main device and a 200 as a backup which seems a bit limited at times. Has anyone tried loading higher spec sofwtare onto it to give better functionality?

Thanks,

Mark.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This almost certainly won't work and will just result in a bricked device. The firmwares are usually model or range specific.
mandrbarrett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on what I've read on the Garmin website I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that's what they want you to believe insn't it?

The case of my 200 is identical to other 20x models - there isn't even a model number written on it anywhere. I'm convinced that they manufacture one piece of hardware then program it to suit the model they want to sell it as. It may well be that as part of this programming they break fusible links inside the device making it a specific model from that moment onwards, but they may not do this.

Has anyone tried to install different software and did it work?

Thanks,

Mark.
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine they have thought long and hard about how to stop people doing what you are suggesting. Otherwise we'd all just buy a cheap Nuvi and load the better firmware. Very Happy

Besides if it had been done surely it'd be on Google/YouTube five minutes later.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Let's apporach this from a different angle.

mandrbarrett what extras features / functions do you want to achieve by "upgrading" the firmware from 200 to 300 or other...

Quote:
The case of my 200 is identical to other 20x models - there isn't even a model number written on it anywhere.

The case of your 200 is probably identical to many other nuvi such as the 7x0 and 7x5 series however i doubt they contain the same hardware....
mandrbarrett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd like to have it:

speak streetnames
allow more than one via point on a route
edit and reorder via points whilst navigating a route
save several routes for reuse
display speed whilst navigating a route
display a count down of distance to go whilst navigating a route
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandrbarrett wrote:
Going on what I've read on the Garmin website I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that's what they want you to believe insn't it?

The case of my 200 is identical to other 20x models - there isn't even a model number written on it anywhere. I'm convinced that they manufacture one piece of hardware then program it to suit the model they want to sell it as. It may well be that as part of this programming they break fusible links inside the device making it a specific model from that moment onwards, but they may not do this.

Has anyone tried to install different software and did it work?

Thanks,

Mark.

I'd guess this isn't possible.

I've had a C510T, and currently a C550 (plus still got a couple of I3s).

The case of the C510 is almost identical to the C550 - the only difference I can think of is that the C550 has two plug sockets on the back, for audio out, and microphone in.

Feature wise, the units are fundamentally the same, but the C550 has TTS, bluetooth, mp3 playback. Now whilst the C510 can be hacked (wtih a specific firmware version) to do TTS, the same can't be said for bluetooth or mp3 playback functionality - because the hardware support simply isn't there for the C510.

So I doubt they've equipped the lowly spec'd models in a range, with the hardware that's in the top spec models.
Pete7049
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use web updater it tries to install 2x5 software on my 200w. Needless to say I havn't installed it. Whats going on there???
retracert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 200w are actually 205w with some features removed. It is quite safe to install the 205 updates, provided you are do it using the update software. Do not do it manually because you must use the correct update file for the correct model on 200w or you will brick it. Although the operating systems is a basically 205 it will never be a 205w it will still be a 200w using the same basic operating system as the 205w with out the 205 additional features except perhaps the add advantage of FM traffic if you buy the receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: