Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version .373 here also.
Live search was a very small button only available from the bottom of the front screen when very first starting the app. On entering the live services section of settings it was not visible to select there which I always thought was strange.
Can anyone else remember live search in the former version?
Redtel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
Version .373 here also.
Live search was a very small button only available from the bottom of the front screen when very first starting the app. On entering the live services section of settings it was not visible to select there which I always thought was strange.
Can anyone else remember live search in the former version?

I have version .373. I downloaded straight to iPhone from iPhone app store.
Fuel prices works fine for me.
I also have the small live services button enabled on the welcome screen and it takes me into it as it did in the previous version.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live services yes but I'm referring to something called live search. That was available on the original version but not thus update. Looking at the updated version description of copilot in the app store it seems to suggest that forthcoming changes include:
1. Live fuel costs ( which we currently have) will become a premium service soon and
2. Live local search will be offered. This must be what we had in the origiNl version but is sadly missing now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall Live Search ever being present?
Redtel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is live search for? The screen I get using that small icon is 'live friends' where I can see friends that are connected.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'live search' is basically a google search. eg instead of searching for an address at home on your pc and transferring the postcode etc you do it all direct from the app.

my little 'live' button on the start up screen has always been a link to live services... never seen live search in the app and if it was i'm sure they would have made a bigger splash about it :D

MaFt
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live Search was available on the start up pop-up screen only and I used it quite a bit (although it was annoying having to restart just to get to it!)

I can confirm that it has indeed been unceremoniously dumped at present and I have emailed ALK asking why and if it is coming back!

More news when I get it!

I miss live search!! Crying or Very sad
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did an upgrade but had an error as I have a jailbroken phone and had added speed cameras. I kind of worked. I also had live petrol prices
Decided to delete the app and do a fresh install. Now not as flakey and no error over the sped cameras
Also no live petrol prices now Sad

ern
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to prove that Pete1336 and me aren't making this 'Live Search' thing up, here's the originsl review from PDA-247;

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2009/08/co-pilot-live-8-for-iphone-review/

Look at the splash screen and note the FOUR small icons across the bottom of this pop-up. the second from the right is the (now missing) 'Live Search' icon.

Razz

EDIT:

Just noticed on the app page on iTunes it now says under Premium Live Services;
Live Traffic, Live Fuel and Live Search available to buy in september from www.copilotlive.com/iphone.

So looks like we will have to cough up to continue using that one!

Shocked

S
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
Hi

I did an upgrade but had an error as I have a jailbroken phone and had added speed cameras. I kind of worked. I also had live petrol prices
Decided to delete the app and do a fresh install. Now not as flakey and no error over the sped cameras

ern

ah, so fresh install = no live fuel prices... bummer...!
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooteee, thanks for the confirmation and links. My sanity is proven ;-)

Come to think of it I too intend to email ALK and complain about the removal of the live search feature. To have given us this facility free in the original version then to remove it in the update expecting us to pay for it as a premium service is quite simplay unfair!
I petition others to do likewise. Here is the email I sent this morning:

Sent: 09 September 2009 07:47
To: 'ukcustservice@alk.eu.com'
Subject: Unfair practice

Sir,
In the original release of co pilot 8 for iphone, customers had access to the live search facility. This could be found at the bottom of the pop up screen during app start up.
This feature is sadly missing in the update and according to the iTunes app description it is to be offered as a premium service soon. To offer this facility for free in the original release only to remove it expecting customers to pay more for it later is simply an unfair business practice.
Please can you clarify the following:
1. Why it was removed in the update?
2. If you do intend to offer it as a premium service?
3. How you can justify this decision when it was initially free?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.
Peter Davies
mattyduk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
Hi

ern

had exactly the same issue and can confirm that on a reinstall, you don't get live petrol prices. Amazing testing by the developers there. well done....
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying the upgraded version... and have found some interesting quirks.

Firstly, as I approached a roundabout, it said 'take the 3rd exit'... even though the 4th exit was showing on the display. then, as I got to the roundabout it said 'take the 4th exit'. I'm not sure if this is just my hearing or an actual glitch, so will retry the route again later.

Secondly, last night, it tried to route me through nothingness. I was trying to get to an industrial estate near bristol and it noticed that a road finished near my destination from the south, so it routed me to that rather than the far longer actual way around from the north. Trouble was there wasn't actually a passable route from where the road finished and my destination. I didn't expect it to use fields as a valid route for a car Smile I'll look up the two co-ordinates later and see if the routing is is repeatable.

It still suffers from the dimming of the screen when the ipod application is running at the same time and is docked.

The safety camera alerts seem to work well, as far as I've noticed. It seems to have found all the ones along my way that I knew about.

Live petrol prices work for me. But I'm still on my original install.

-- gyre --
jadakin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
Hi

ern

Me too. I can live without the live petrol prices (shame though), but I am concerned that I won't be able to use the PGPSW database any more. I haven't had time to try properly, but it does seem there might be issues with the two sets of data co-existing. I think it handles the pmobile data OK as a new POI category, but the main combined data seems to disappear when loaded. I could be wrong. I'll try again tonight. I'm hoping it will at least be possible to trick it into loading the PGPSW combined data as a new POI category somehow. What with this, no live petrol prices and the keyboard with only "t" on it, I'm starting to wish I hadn't upgraded!
epic_monkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...would definately have thought they would have sorted out the dimming issue. Such an obvious bug.
Agree with mattyduk, The developers did an awesome job of testing this product.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: