Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Which device Reply with quote

Looking to buy a TT for my son who has just bought his first car.

Only needs UK mapping and personally I'd like one that uses SD card for storage.

I'm starting to do some searching myself but any suggestions would be welcome.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be looking at an old device then if SD card support is a must, the last devices in the GO range to use SD card were the 510/710 devices, although the x20/ x30 range do support SD card if you bother to fit one otherwise they run off internal storage memory.

The TT One range is even more difficult to work out, the One Third Edition, One V4, XL (all models) all had just internal storage with no memory card capability.
The One XL (often called the One XL Classic) did have an SD card slot, otherwise the One New Edition or earlier are all you are looking at.

The higher end x40 products can use a MicroSD card in addition to the built in memory, but none of the current One or XL devices can use a memory card - Mike
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike I've just been browsing round and found exactly as you say SD support is no longer there.

Just my use of a TT 500 that makes me like this. So I'll forget this point.

The TT 0ne V4 looks about right at the moment. I've a couple of questions perhaps you might be able to help with.

See that 'in the box' you get a car charger and usb cable. Would I be correct in assuming that the device doesn't charge via USB when connected to the PC? So that the purchase of a 'home charger' would be useful.

I'm just trying to establish if the only way you can get Traffic info is via the less that useful TMC option as I can't find any info if the device will connect to a mobile via bluetooth.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB cable does provide a charge to the unit, just not as fast as with a car charger.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One V4 (easy port mount and the newer XL devices with the same easy port mount) are not equipped with Bluetooth so the only option for the traffic is to use the RDS-TMC receiver, worse still it has to be the newer mini USB style receiver. When I say worse still thats only down to the fact it costs 15 times what you can pick the slightly older model up for £2 vs £30 (yes Currys are/ were clearing stock and it was possible to get the oval receivers for under £2 and still is possible if you shop around) but the newer One devices don't have a socket to accept these units!

If you can find a One XL at the right price then I would look at that as the routing is much better, otherwise consider a refurbished 520 or 530 as they are very capable devices and look like new for considerably less outlay than you might think, even a 720 is a very credible device at under £150 Here double check the latest map gaurantee prior to purcahes though as this might make it a costly option if its not included with the device and the advert is a little grey on this area - Mike
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Obviously need to to a bit more research.
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from Mike. I followed his advice earlier this year and bought the refurb 720. It's great value and I think I saw in the site here that members get free delivery from Totalpda.co.uk Wink but check it out if you are thinking of buying.

My other half was so impressed we bought a 520 for her. It has the same facilities as the 720 apart from having UK maps only.

I like the hands free bluetooth on both of them. Some phones seem to work better than others but we have been lucky with ours as they both work fine.

Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: