Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Map Updates for older Tom tom's are not complete
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Map Updates for older Tom tom's are not complete
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveTTheDon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
I was going to add some screen shots, but It won't work on this forum for some reason?

Post the photos to ImageShack or simalar and then insert the links to the photos using [img] tags. Don't use any of the cleverly formatted links just find the direct link to the picture and use that.

Thanks Paul
Here's my effort.

Last edited by DaveTTheDon on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveTTheDon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

egg1000 wrote:
From my (probably biased) experience it would appear to be a gamble upgrading to the European maps, not an informed choice as I believe it should be. Whether the roads you want will be on your map upgrades, I have no idea and I don't believe there is a way to check?

Personally however, I wouldn't buy the map upgrades, but I think its clear from the thread I will most likely never purchase anything Tomtom again.

PS. I use photobucket for images, it gives you the [IMG] code in full.

Hi Egg
Ah well you see it was a pressy from the Kids, so I can't really complain too much now can I? All the same, its nowhere near as good as the built in jobby I had in my Toyota Landcruiser, that mother was so good it was frightening. It new all the back streets in France, and where the nearest McD's was!!! Twisted Evil
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

DaveTTheDon wrote:
egg1000 wrote:
From my (probably biased) experience it would appear to be a gamble upgrading to the European maps, not an informed choice as I believe it should be. Whether the roads you want will be on your map upgrades, I have no idea and I don't believe there is a way to check?

Personally however, I wouldn't buy the map upgrades, but I think its clear from the thread I will most likely never purchase anything Tomtom again.

PS. I use photobucket for images, it gives you the [IMG] code in full.

Hi Egg
Ah well you see it was a pressy from the Kids, so I can't really complain too much now can I? All the same, its nowhere near as good as the built in jobby I had in my Toyota Landcruiser, that mother was so good it was frightening. It new all the back streets in France, and where the nearest McD's was!!! Twisted Evil

Considering the three screen shots we now have, (Yours show major roads and my two on page one show some differences between paid FULL maps for older machines and FULL on the newer machines) I think this shows what you're getting for your money, and furthermore, what you are missing when you think you are getting the FULL maps when you upgrade.

Plenty more options out there, until Tom tom can be honest and upfront about their map variances and upgrade options, I think I'll shift brand loyalties to someone, anyone, else. Garmin is the obvious other choice. Unless someone else can enlighten me?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

DaveTTheDon wrote:

Does this mean its a total waste of time upgrading from the original map set that was delivered with the TT (i've got the 510 go, GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE v650.1110)

For a 510, it will offer you the
Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1667.8 MB version.

This is the 2nd largest version available (if you ignore the one with IQ routing data which you can't use anyway)
as you are updating from a V6 with only the major roads of Europe, I would say that in your case it *is* well worth updating, you'll see a huge difference in the detail and quality.

Oh and by the way, you may want to modify the first picture you posted in your last post to disguise the device number, it's not good to share that around.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

egg1000 wrote:

Plenty more options out there, until Tom tom can be honest and upfront about their map variances and upgrade options, I think I'll shift brand loyalties to someone, anyone, else. Garmin is the obvious other choice. Unless someone else can enlighten me?

Do we know for sure that Garmin don't do something similar to get the maps on THEIR smaller devices too? Confused
DaveTTheDon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DaveTTheDon wrote:

Does this mean its a total waste of time upgrading from the original map set that was delivered with the TT (i've got the 510 go, GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE v650.1110)

For a 510, it will offer you the
Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1667.8 MB version.

This is the 2nd largest version available (if you ignore the one with IQ routing data which you can't use anyway)
as you are updating from a V6 with only the major roads of Europe, I would say that in your case it *is* well worth updating, you'll see a huge difference in the detail and quality.

Oh and by the way, you may want to modify the first picture you posted in your last post to disguise the device number, it's not good to share that around.

Cheers Andy
Duly noted and dealt with. By the way, why? what use is the device number to anyone?
ATB
DaveT
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egg1000 wrote
Quote:
I think I'll shift brand loyalties to someone, anyone, else. Garmin is the obvious other choice. Unless someone else can enlighten me?
If you're thinking about buying a new device anyway, then it's worth looking at the latest TTs. You would get a better device than any of the others and the comprehensive up-to-date maps.

You can't really compare an old TT with a new of any make and, if you read the other brand fora, you'll find many similar complaints about them as you get about TTs on here.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth. My TT Go730 has the 2Gb, modified version of W&C Europe. This map shows dirt roads and tracks in my local area of spain. Not all of them, just some of the larger ones. My old Garmin nuvi 760T showed all the dirt tracks. (But I couldn't get the nuvi 760T to Route from Calais to Barcelona without running out of memory! - Horses for Courses.)

If I ever do buy a map from TT it will be the W&C Eu map which is un-modified, hopefully it will show more of the smaller tracks I could use for cycling and less of the major routes into Eastern Europe which I'd probably never use. As you say "How do you know" what it displays until you have paid, downloaded and installed?

But I will probably buy another brand of SatNav rather than a new TT map. I'm not so dis-satisfied with my TT now that I understand it's foibles, I just fancy trying another brand and don't want to be tied to TT.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old 910 still has its original european map version 650.1052 and has all the detail of side roads and tracks in nerja
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenorplayer wrote:
My old 910 still has its original european map version 650.1052 and has all the detail of side roads and tracks in nerja

If you have a 910 (with it's massive hard-drive) you will ALWAYS be offered the largest/unsimplified version of the map when you go to buy a new one.
Tangsoodogb
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: New map on older device Reply with quote

Hi, Egg1000.

I have a TT Go700 with App 7.903 and latest maps Western Europe, v8.35.2421.

I have all the detail on this map of the roads you are 'missing' as per your second photoshot, first post.

Having said that, the maps are only as good as the info supplied by the mappers.

My TT tried to take us through the middle of a church and down a footpath in France last year. The church had been there for 800 years, so was not a newly built structure!

We decided to find another route.
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from nerja now. Last 5 mins of our journey were done by the stars. The reply I've had from tom tom whilst I was away was quite apologetic. It seems the guy that was helping me wasn't aware that the maps offered different levels of detail, but clearly they do. They say they are working on a solution. I personally doubt they will find one. I have simply asked them to clarify the issue at point of purchase. (remember teleatlas and tom tom DO have the mapping data). I still feel the issue should be raised to trading standards. But will await a response.
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original One came with UK map and when I bought Central Europe [not all of it, just the map:-)] this came as detail country maps with major routes, I could load those I needed when I needed them.

More difficult to handle, maybe, but then the detail could then be greater?

An alternative to the single Europe map that should fit on any machine with a little fiddling.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: