Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MILLWALLFC10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Road Angel database Reply with quote

I know the majority on here will use the PocketGPS safety camera locations, however now Tom Tom are using Road Angel database can anyone give any opinions of this.
I currently have a Road Angel Navigator 9000 which is great for safety cameras and alerts, it’s one of the best systems I used, however the mapping is useless, it’s not no where near as good as Tom Tom.
I'm therefore thinking of getting a Tom Tom with the HD service which offers traffic alerts and cameras. Is anyone subscribed to this and what do they think of alerts.

With the Road Angel it picked up every camera plus used to warn you or Laser areas, the majority of times there was no one there, but it did come in handy twice.
How does the SPECS cameras work , does this give you the average speed you have travelled etc etc.
The best thing i liked with the road angel were the clear alerts. However on the Tom Tom it just seems like a little bleep, does it alert you to the road speed, and flash red if your over the limit. ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, if you want alerts for where mobile cameras are known to opperate from then forget it as its about as good as a chocolate fire guard.
Specs don't seem to be anything like accurate for the rapid changing locations around roadworks and even some of the fixed cameras such as established Gatso's don't issue warnings. When you do get a warning it is a simple beep but the device does indicate the rated speed of the camera, it issues the same warning whether you are above or below the speed limit.

The RA database is a credible one and the implementation of it on the Live deices is somewhat bizare, I don't think its very good for use in the UK and therefore don't use it - Mike
MILLWALLFC10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

So is the recommendation is to use the PocketGPS database.
Do these warn of possible laser sites.

It’s just a shame to pay out twice one for Traffic updates and another for camera updates. My only other option is to have two satellite navigations system mounted on the windscreen, one for mapping and one for cameras, think it may look a little odd.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do get warnings of the Mobile sites and its even possible to get the device to read out a warning such as this "Warning Gatso ahead speed limit is 30 miles per hour" when using the PGPSW database. each camera type and speed can be configured in the way.

Just remember we also offer a free lifetime subscription to the database if you are the first to report a new/ altered camera location subject to verification, you need to be a subscribed member to qualify in the first place though - Mke
MILLWALLFC10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, looks like when I get the Tom Tom I will sign up to the database and give it ago.

Just one last question I don't suppose it will do it, but when driving past spec cameras will it work out your average speed, e.g. if you are going to fast to tell you to slow down.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the road angel plus and the tomtom 540.
I also use PGPS data.
The TT data is NOT the same as the road angel.
Tried them side by side and are not the same even though TT say they use road angel data.
They may use some but they are not equal.

Can any one else confirm the same findings?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Tried them side by side and are not the same even though TT say they use road angel data.
They may use some but they are not equal.
Can any one else confirm the same findings?

Would you like to share with us which one in your experience is is 'better', why it's better and what the differences are?
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC10 wrote:
Just one last question I don't suppose it will do it, but when driving past spec cameras will it work out your average speed, e.g. if you are going to fast to tell you to slow down.

The TomTom LIVE implementation of speed cameras warns you if you are over the limit during the SPECS zone.

Does the PGPSW database filter out alerts based on directionality? Or is it just a simple POI overlay that alerts to all locations?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the PGPSW database filter out alerts based on directionality? Or is it just a simple POI overlay that alerts to all locations?

TomTom don't allow use of directional data with 3rd party POIs so PGPSW has no directional filtering.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

TomTom don't allow use of directional data with 3rd party POIs so PGPSW has no directional filtering.

although directional data IS available for those devices that support it Smile
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

That'll always be a deal-breaker for me, then.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

surely though it's better to be warned of cameras on both sides (even if they can't all "catch" you) than to reply on TT's own database that is known to be missing plenty of locations?

MaFt
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the PGPS data is the most accurate data.

TT data is missing alot of mobile sites and some fixed sites.
Same goes for RA data.

TT take too long to put your additions to the data and even though the live mobile sites is a great idea, I have NEVER had even one alert.

I don't beleive for 1 minute that TT and RA are the exact same data.
(Someone prove me wrong on that one).

Until TT or RA get their acts together then I would say the best is PGPS Data.

I just wished that TT and PGPS was together within the navcore.
Maybe one day.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Seamaster wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

surely though it's better to be warned of cameras on both sides (even if they can't all "catch" you) than to reply on TT's own database that is known to be missing plenty of locations?

I don't break the speed limit often enough to be prepared to put up with 50% of all alerts being false alarms.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:

I don't break the speed limit often enough to be prepared to put up with 50% of all alerts being false alarms.

Then why do you need a speedcam database. Shocked
One of the other alternatives is to ditch the TT and get a nav that has IGO based software, then you can have the best of both worlds, a PGPSW database that is directional. Very Happy (and it calculates your average speed between a pair of specs cams. (This is a bit iffy if there is an odd number of cams though) Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: