Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map 835.2419 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map 835.2419 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email from TT to make a backup copy of my device (after installing new map) then restore to factory setting, then set up GPRS connection & check for traffic.

Already had a backup so just dived in to use home to install (again) the new map. As I launched Home it wanted to download & install a "Critical Update"
After this the map was installed, didn't bother with the factory reset.
Didn't have to do anything with GPRS connection & now everything works, didn't even have to reload mapsettings.cfg

Home version now on 2.7.1.1812

That was easy roll on the next update Rolling Eyes
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
copierman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: New Maps Reply with quote

I downloaded new map with no problem about 16 mins. also this time it did not delete my favourite locations and I did not need to reset the warnings for any of my speed cameras, at last something right
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Excellent and thorough explanation on how to deal with map update issues Andy. Thanks for taking the time for that detailed post. Cool

Ditto that. Thanks, Andy.
wjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
If your device does not support TTS (Computer Voices) then delete all of the cspeech files from the folder you have just extracted everything to as you do not need them.

I'm starting to venture off-topic now, as this is a more general question:

My XL IQ Routes definitely does support computer voices – I use "Kate" all the time, and "she" gamely tries to pronounce signs and road names if I require her to. She even gets many German names sort-of right, which makes me think she must have built-in hints somewhere.

Yet none of these cspeech files exist anywhere on my device (even after the latest map install). Do the higher-end devices use a different type of TTS which requires these files, or what's going on here?

(Also, I may well try your procedure for a complete manual reinstall of the map to see whether that solves my duplicate Petrol Station POIs issue.)
wjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've learnt from another thread that the cspeech files are for the voice recognition system, which the XL IQ clearly lacks.
dbarfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
To everyone having problems with this map update can I suggest the following as a fix....

Many thanks. All working again.

I'm going to leave my support query to Tom Tom open just to see if they come up with a solution and how long it takes!

Dave.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjv wrote:
Hmm, I've learnt from another thread that the cspeech files are for the voice recognition system, which the XL IQ clearly lacks.

That was a new one on me - I thought they were for TTS but I stand corrected.

Anyway, if you have speech recognition you will have TTS so I wasn't too far out!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjv wrote:
(Also, I may well try your procedure for a complete manual reinstall of the map to see whether that solves my duplicate Petrol Station POIs issue.)

It might well do.

It also seems the critical update to HOME may have fixed the map install issue - try deleting your map from your device using HOME and then reinstalling using HOME.
pat100701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjv wrote:
Seamaster wrote:
I have unzipped the latest map, and found traffic.dat to be 4K and tmccodes.dat to be 6.4MB.

That sounds about right.

Quote:
Am I supposed to copy the older versions of the files from the last map or backup over? And do I have to re-zip it?

Nonono, you take the two files that you've just extracted from the .zip, and copy them to the map directory on your device. The end.

In other words, instead of taking the old versions of those two files from a backup and copying them onto your device, just copy the new ones that came in the new map's .zip.

(There are the ones that are presumably supposed to be installed with the new map. Why they end up as being zero-length after going through the by-the-book update procedure is anyone's guess.)

Quote:
Any chance of a step-by-step instruction for this fix?

I hope the above explains things a little better. If it's still confusing, I'll happily do a step-by-step! Smile

This worked for me. Thanks!!
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Problems with TomTom Go 740 Reply with quote

OK, I’ve had the same problems as everyone else following the dreaded latest map download, I’ve followed the advise on this thread (special thanks to AndyVaugha for his detailed guide), which seems to have done the trick with the maps Very Happy I’ve not yet had the change to see if my live services work yet though.

However my TT will now only power up if it’s connected to the USB docking station or my car kit… the led on top glows orange, and the icon on the GPS status screen says charging… the battery is dead you think…

But, everything was fine before the original upgrade and the battery was then a very healthy green. I left it on charge all last night but same problem when I got up…

Any ideas so I don’t have to program it when tethered to a power point, is it a software fault?
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get HD traffic working on my 540! My problem is that I can see the zero kb traffic.dat file in the map folder on the device, but I can't see a 'populated' traffic.dat file in the download map folder, when I unzip it. Any ideas?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjv wrote:

You cannot get the ASR (Advanced Speech Recognition) working on the XL IQ Live as the device has no microphone - Mike
wjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
It also seems the critical update to HOME may have fixed the map install issue - try deleting your map from your device using HOME and then reinstalling using HOME.

Another good point.

I've heard from someone who's been in contact with TomTom support that they're now aware of the doubled-up POI issue, and that apparently it's fairly widespread. (Weird that no one on here has reported it.)

Anyway, I'll take the time over the weekend to try (a) reinstalling the map via the new Home and, if that doesn't work, (b) doing a full install. We shall see…

Thanks again for all your help so far!

pat100701 wrote:
This worked for me. Thanks!!

Don't thank me; thank AndyVaughan! I was just rephrasing his advice! ;)
wjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've just reinstalled the v835 map using the new version of Home, and… no difference. I still have doubled-up Petrol Station POIs, and the tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat files on the device are zero-length once again.

Interestingly, though, my Favourites and Recent Destinations got preserved this time around. This wasn't the case when I originally installed the v835 map using the old version of Home.

Anyway, I'll do a full manual install this weekend in the hope that that might sort out the double POIs.
mrbunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Thanks to Andyvaughan Reply with quote

Andy,

Just wanted to say thanks a million for the tip regarding re-establishing the HD Traffic on my 740. I've literally ripped clumps of hair from my head with the e-mail support from TomTom. Your solution fixed the problem in 2 minutes. I hope you don't mind but I've emailed them back with it and a reasonably pithy rebuke!

Many thanks again, I can enjoy a lie in of a morning once more....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: