Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does TT7 have to have WM6.1 to work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does TT7 have to have WM6.1 to work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinapatra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Does TT7 have to have WM6.1 to work? Reply with quote

I have a HTC TYTN II and I do not want to upgrade my OS as there have been some problems with this. Will TT7 run on WM6.0 professional OK?
Any advise would be welcolme.
CoPilot Live 9
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently asked TomTom for advice on this, although I'm using WM5 on my Ipaq 2490 and I have no legal way to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.

I'll let you know if/when they answer me.
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reply from TomTom is
Quote:
Navigator 7 has been written for WindowsMobile 6 exclusively and will not work on Mobile 5.

So they don't specifically mention 6.1, but they do eliminate it working on Windows Mobile 5. Now that's a shame as I don't have a legal upgrade path to Mobile 6.

If I was to replace the perfectly functional and suitable for everything else PDA (HP iPaq 2490) and purchase the new version of Navigator 7, I would easily have the budget to get a dedicated GPS for less money.

But if I was going to do that, then I'd probably look at gettnig one that is usable on my motorbike in addition to the car and the unfortunate thing is that it would be unlikely to be a TomTom as their offering doesn't come across as being the best on the market for that purpose.

Well done TomTom, you've shot yourself in the foot by only offering a product that'll run on devices made in the last 2 years and thrown away the possibilities of so many other customers with suitable spec PDA's but not the latest OS.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see why TTN7 will not run on wm5 because it certainly runs on win2003se and wm6 classic, not sure if thats 6 or 6.1. and also runs v8 maps on wm6. mind you it would seem to depend on the version of TTN7
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: TT7 Reply with quote

Having recently bought a 'nice' new PPC (Palm Treo Pro), I thought I would splash out on the new TT7 because it's for Windows Mobile 6 devices - right?. The answer is maybe. The terse answer I got from TT was 'This device is not on our compatibility list'. What does that mean? It might work but they haven't tested it or it wont work?. Would you pay £85 on the off chance.?
In case anyone is interested, I was able to 'borrow' a copy of TT7 to try and, guess what, it works although I am not convinced that it is any better than TT6 and the maps have not been updated for the area I live in. Not sure that I want to go with TT7 as the 'legendary' TT customer support never gets any better. No wonder other companies are taking their business.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give TomTom a little bit of credit, they did at least include in TT7 the facility to block off a through road changed to a cul de sac in my local area 6 yrs ago and thus addressing the shortcomings in map updates, but personally otherwise I did find TTN7 an improvement on TTN6.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In running TTN7 on a Palm Treo 750, well off the supportability map, and it works fine. Traffic via GPRS seems to work much better then on TTN6, it seems to be able to process the data quicker and it now has more detailed info on the sidebar such as distance to the first incident and expected delays. The UK maps seem quite up to date, as it shows a new DC near to me that was only finished a few months ago.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: TT7 Reply with quote

I have to agree that the GUI section of TT7 is smarter but I can't agree about the maps. I live in a major city and new roads have been complete for at least a year just do not show. In addition, on a roundabout close to my home, I am told to take the 3rd exit while the map, correctly, shows the 2nd exit. Personally, I just can't see the benefit of paying £85 to upgrade from TT6
inglishg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if TT7 would run on my Mitac Mio P550?

Sorry, but I don't know all the ins and outs of the software installed, but I'm currently running an old version of TT5 and on a recent tour of Portugal found the maps to be hopelessly out of date and nowhere near detailed enough.

Just so relieved a colleague had an up to date Garmin that worked perfectly!

Thanks in advance...
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See quote posted on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 am 'For some months now I have been running TT7 without problems on a WM5 Mio P350.'

As it runs on the P350 then almost certainly it will run on the P550.
inglishg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
See quote posted on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 am 'For some months now I have been running TT7 without problems on a WM5 Mio P350.'

As it runs on the P350 then almost certainly it will run on the P550.

Thanks for this. It's very encouraging.

Now, all I need is to get a copy of TT7 Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: