Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765t Battery replacement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765t Battery replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: 765t Battery replacement Reply with quote

I have been having a discussion related to battery life and thought that its worth asking the question to all.
My unit does not hold a particularly long charge and I think that a new battery is needed, the mechanics of the replacement is not an issue but getting the right battery is!
No one seems to stock the correct battery which is a 361-00019-16 this is a 3.7v 1.25Ah Li-ion, having researched and spent lots of time studying the issue I cannot see any reason for not replacing the battery with a different model ie a 1.5Ah such as a 361-00019-02 or similar, there are also 1.25Ah avaliable, some of these are Li-Pl but this is just different battery technology and should not be an issue. The 1.5 should give a longerbattery life.
Or am I missing the blindingley obvious???
Over to you please
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, Li-ion and Li-Poly require different types of charging, so I would stick to the Li-ion type.

Are you sure that the 1.5Ah battery is the correct physical size, will it fit into the casing Laughing
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I checked 'on the fly' & immediately came up with this:

The correct voltage/ampere battery replacement

Not original brand of course & it's made in HK, but at least it's cheap Wink
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks, not sure if there is a difference in charging but didnt think so, the poly is a diifferent type of construction but is still basically a Li-ion, but I might be wrong, regarding size the 760 unit and the 765 are the same therefore in theory should be the same, am working with "Batterymill" to try and sort the problem.

The site with the list of units again does not mention the 765 as a unit and it is an update of the 760 so who knows, it does look the same but cant see the part number which should be 361-00019-16 or 11 how much is it in GBP?
regards Derek
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekJacks wrote:
Hi and thanks, the list of units does not mention the 765 so who knows, it look the same but cant see the part number which should be 361-00019-16 or 11 how much is it in GBP?
regards Derek

Believe me when I tell you, that this is exactly the same as the original.
The battery itself is 9.22£ + shipping 2.26£. (at least what I could find).

Don't hesitate to ask in case of translation needs... Very Happy
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Telev, Unfortunately the site that you recomended said that they will only deliver in Sweden! but never mind, I have a resolution from "Battery Mill" who are quite confident that a 760 battery will fit so I have ordered one, if it doesnt they will refund the dough, cant say fairer than that.
Incidentally the type of battery construction is not an issue.

Will advise the outcome
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Sorry, I didn't know they only post to Sweden. Shocked
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 765t Battery replacement Reply with quote

DerekJacks wrote:
No one seems to stock the correct battery which is a 361-00019-16 ... I cannot see any reason for not replacing the battery with a different model ie a 1.5Ah such as a 361-00019-02 or similar,

Or am I missing the blindingley obvious???

Not obvious, but there is an issue...

The 361-00019-16 has a 3 pin connector, whereas the 361-00019-02 has a 2 pin connector. (I assume the battery is made up of two cells, and the extra conductor gives access to them individually. I've not checked the detail though, and don't know if you could just leave the missing pin disconnected - ie swap plugs).
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Garmin not have a battery replacement service?
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediaguycouk wrote:
Do Garmin not have a battery replacement service?

No, I believe their opinion is; "the battery is non-replaceable".
Instead, they want you to invest in another GPS unit.... Evil or Very Mad
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try contacting this company HERE (opens in a new window).

I have not used them myself.
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things.

What battery life are you getting ?

Why are you do you feel you have to replace battery ?

Units are less than a year old & come with a 2 year warranty, if there is a problem garmin should be doing this FOC.
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Yes the unit is under two years old but its a second hand job and Garmin charge a fortune to do anything, they wont sell a battery to an individual.
The battery lasts between 2 and 3 hours if I just let it sit on the side, in use just less than 2. It looses a bar almost instantly it is taken off the charger, it matters not if its charged via PC, mains adapter or car, so the battery is definately not performing as it should have tried all the tips ie bluetooth off, lock the screen to operate backlight control, reduced brightness etc.
Batterymill have been excellent but even they could not locate the replacement part number so they are sending me a 760 type and will see if its ok, if not they will refund and if it is then they have learnt something as well.
The 760t does seem to be a good unit and with the current updates I have had no probs whatsoever, I did have a prob with bluetooth not showing the phonebook on my phone but even thats sorted with the latest "mandatory" update. I had read horror stories of this until but bought it at a good price and tried it with some trepidation but it appears that I bought a good un!!
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 was having problems with low charge on my unit last week, unfortunately I was away so did not take the cradle with me & I found out that the USB lead I took with me put gps into data mode !!.

However I found out if you plugged in route without usb lead in place then powered it via lead, though it was still in data mode, you could here voice instructions. (just as well), The screen was showing enter password all the time but then when you entered it it went into pc mode, then back to password again.

I have now ordered a lead the does not put into data mode :-)

Btw , what is the difference on a data mode power lead & not ?

On the battery i found this http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=361-00019-11

they ship all over the world.
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the battery arrived and apart from the battery technology, is identical, ie same size, capacity, voltage and connector, the technology is Li-polymer rather than Li-Ion but this should not make any difference whatsoever, the battery is fitted and I didnt switch the unit straight on but connected to the live updater which stated that it has the latest software, and none of the bits that I have loaded ie POIs etc have been lost so it could have just been switched on it would appear.

The unit is now on charge and I will leave it overnight and test tomorrow, fingers crossed that all will be well!

to save you reading back the battery is a 760 type and my unit is a 765t, the battery is supplied by batterymill who have been great.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: