Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it worth updating my TT 520 UK Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth updating my TT 520 UK Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio_two wrote:
Is it usual for the Favourites to be cleared out after the Upgrade? Mine all seem to have vanished...

Assuming you made a backup prior to updating, you may be able to recover your favourites by copying the MapSettings.cfg from the backup to your new map folder.

If this doesn't work, then search these froums for MapSettings.cfg, which will give you a couple of alternative solutions.

If you didn't make a backup prior to updating, then why not?!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes... it's quite normal to lose them.
Studio_two
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Studio_two wrote:
Is it usual for the Favourites to be cleared out after the Upgrade? Mine all seem to have vanished...

If you didn't make a backup prior to updating, then why not?!

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying that. I assumed I had missed something during the update.

I had a backup and initially tried a restore, but that completely reversed the v8 update (maps and all), so I'm not really impressed with the tomtom home software in that respect.

Thanks again,
Stephen
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio_two wrote:

I had a backup and initially tried a restore, but that completely reversed the v8 update (maps and all), so I'm not really impressed with the tomtom home software in that respect.

There's lots you CAN blame Home for, but I don't think you can blame it for that.... That's what a backup is for.

If you have a problem, maybe with new software, you want to be able to restore it to the previous working state.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth updating my TT 520 UK Map Reply with quote

Nedsez wrote:
........ What would I gain by updating to latest map £52 .........
Nedsez

If you read these forums regularly you will be aware that many members complain of roundabouts, junctions, roads, etc which are missing on their version of the "latest" map. If I updated to a new map just to discover that some road layouts, some many years old, have still not been included, i would feel cheated. It all depends on what benefit you will realise from having the "latest", yet already out of date map. I don't need my SatNav for work so it is not critical that I have the latest map, I still use my old paper road atlas which is at least 20 years old and Paris is still there!

To me, 52pounds represents half or a third of the cost of a new SatNav, depending upon the spec. Personally, i would bide my time for a couple or three years, put the money aside and then invest in a new SatNav which would come with the new maps. I'd then have 2 SatNavs, just in case one broke.

Andy_P is quite right, upgrading would enable you to benefit from IQ routing, Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View. Equally, AndyVaughan is right in saying that a lot of members have encountered an awful lot of grief and lost a lot of functionality in updating to the latest maps and NavCore.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

pilk wrote:
........ I am also wondering what you get with the 2gb version of the western europe map. it costs a tenner more .........

Please read this in two parts -

1) From TomTom's own web site -

" ... Countries fully covered (99.9%): Andorra, Austria, Etc. .....
.... Countries partially covered: Bulgaria (54%), Estonia (72%), Latvia (63%), Slovenia (68%) and Croatia (42%, including major cities and coastal areas)......"

So it looks like you get major routes and popular destinations in Old Eastern Bloc countries with the 2gb version.

Conversly -

2) From TomTom's own web site -

..... Detailed map seamlessly covering Western and Central Europe - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory. ......

The following is PURE SPECULATION on my behalf and I am going to focus on the phrase "modified to fit" . I repeat, I do NOT know this to be fact but it is SPECULATION.

I used to own a Garmin 760T which also had European coverage. On my Garmins version of Europe there were a lot of country tracks and paths which were great for exploring by foot or by bicycle. These tracks and paths are missing from my TT GO730 2Gb's version of Europe. I think MAYBE TomTom have deleted some very minor roads in central europe to make space for very major roads in eastern europe.

I notice that on a TT ONE XL both European versions are "modified to fit". But maybe the 2Gb is more modified than the original, I don't know. Something to investigate further perhaps?

Personally, I would rather have the cycle tracks around where I live displayed than motorway routes from Tallinn to Zagreb.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly seems worth browsing these forums - this is another question I had been wondering about, i.e is it worth upgrading the maps on my unit, as well as receiving the usual mapshare free corrections? The argument about saving the cash for a new unit in a few years time seems sound for me and I think I will persevere with what I have and just apply common sense if I hit a junction that TT doesn't know about.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a refurbished TT720 and have done the update. I had read the advice to do an Windows Explorer backup, thankfully I did.

I set my new device to update last night. It did all the OS etc. and then finally I found out how to do the LMG update. I have 8Mb broadband and plugged in my wired network for reliability. The update took 7-8 hours, i came down this morning to find it had failed, not enough memory. I then had to go through a process of deleting this and that, then did an update again this morning 1.7gb in about an hour, and then had to copy files back, do more updates etc. and finally had it working. Wouldn't be easy if I weren't a computer nerd! Smile

I have had a couple of slightly dodgy moments already where you think is it me or the sat nav? It does seem to work ok so far on just a couple of short trips except for one completely wrong direction as I left work. It was totally incomprehensable where it was sending me. this is the very latest map and IQ etc.

I have had sat navs for years on PDA's and for the last year had a Tt One v3 Europe Traffic. Apart from a couple of new roads and not being clear on a couple of motorway junctions it was perfect. My first impression of the 720 is it moves away from perfect simplicity and gets more complex and too much going on. The maps should be better now, yes you do get the updated navicore, but my TT One, and the older maps and OS seemed much snappier and just 'worked'.
Studio_two
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Studio_two wrote:

There's lots you CAN blame Home for, but I don't think you can blame it for that.... That's what a backup is for.

If you have a problem, maybe with new software, you want to be able to restore it to the previous working state.

Point taken, Andy. Thanks.

Stephen

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: