Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

I guess that the answer is already here somewhere but I couldnt find it! I have tried to load other POIs to my 765 and all that happens is it over writes existing thus doing away with speed camera data etc, what do I need to do to load additional POIs? any help gratefully recieved ta Laughing
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loading them all in one go. Put the Speed Cameras and the POIs in one folder and upload.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POILOader will overwrite any existing POIs with the new set.

So, put all the POI's you want into one directory and add them at the same time.

OR - (and here my memory is fuzzy), I think you can upload the POIs you never want to change. Then change the name from POI.POI to something else.POI and then upload the changing ones. [Quick, someone with real expertise jump in here]

Alan
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's POI.GPI. You can rename it to SOMETHING.GPI if you want but POILoader will only overwrite POI.GPI
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all and thanks, I have loaded the POIs such as hotels etc then renamed the file in the unit to "odd POI" then reloaded the camera data base and touch wood it seems to work although not road tested as yet!

Another question although off topic anybody no where I can get a higher capacity battery for the 765 unit, mine dont seem to last long, certainley under the three hours specified.

regards
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit is designed to be used on the power lead. The battery is for times when you might be away from the power or using the find my car function. It's not designed to be used for long periods. The stated time will be under optimal conditions. The screen brightness and having Bluetooth on will shorten that time.
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, I do use the unit for walking in cities sometimes and previous to this had a 360 where the battery lasted for ages, I havnt sold the 360 yet, maybe I should use that one for walkies, the only downside is the flip up ariel which can make it a pain, but thats life I guess.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekJacks wrote:
...where I can get a higher capacity battery for the 765 unit, mine doesn't seem to last long, certainly under the three hours specified.
I haven't sold the 360 yet, maybe I should use that one for walkies, the only downside is the flip up aeriel which can make it a pain, but that's life I guess.

The 765's battery life improves no end, if you make sure you always slide the power switch to the 'lock' position - because that's what activates the screen timeout.

I agree about the 360 being more suitable for pedestrian use (though in my case, just because it's smaller and easier to carry). You can overcome the inconvenience of the fold-out flap, by removing the small magnet that lives inside it. (This is what switches off the GPS when you close it up.)

Of course, it doesn't work as well when folded up, but it usually retains enough of a signal, that it doesn't have to go through the whole 'acquiring satellites' routine every time you get it out of your pocket.

I don't think there's that much to choose between them battery-wise really. Neither of them will survive a whole day on battery power. There's a variety of battery packs around that provide 5V to a mini-usb plug. Unfortunately, not many of them of have the 'personality resistor' between pins 4 & 5, so multiple reboots become necessary, to avoid the unit entering mass-storage mode.
DerekJacks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I have tried the suggestions on the 765 but it still only stays on for about 3.5 hours, an improvement but not a lot, perhaps it does need a new battery, but cant seem to find one on the net. any ideas welcome.
regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: