Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with TMC Traffic (UK) after map upgrade on 610T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with TMC Traffic (UK) after map upgrade on 610T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Problem with TMC Traffic (UK) after map upgrade on 610T Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an odd problem with my Nuvi 610T. I updated my maps to the EU 2010.1 and all went well. I don't know if this is related but my TMC has stopped working. If I look in the hidden menu's I can see the message cound going up quite happily but the icon on the front screen to actually display the traffic data remains greyed out.

Has anyone come across this one before. I have done a soft reset (back of device) and have checked webupdater to amke sure there is no newer f/w for GTM or device but there seems to be nothing.

My FW is 4.7 and my GTM f/w is 5.5

I have checked my TMC subscription and it seems to be set right (free £ subscription for life). It is set to Auto and I even did a rescan but to no avail.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by PaulJSmith on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Update:

I also did a full hard reset (pressing bottom RHS technique) but even this did not make it come to life. The message count, within 1/2 hour, went up to the 100's but still only a greyed out icon on the front screen.

Anyone? Can anyone at least confirm that the TMC in the UK works after updating to the 2010.1 maps?? FYI I also installed the Arnie voices from pigtones at teh same time. I am sure one of these has screwed it.

Does anyone know how to force a reload of the TMC firmware.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by PaulJSmith on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've encountered some similarly strange behaviour in the past.

I had two Nüvi 310's and two GTM-12's. One Nüvi would work with both GTM-12's and the other Nüvi wouldn't work with either. But, like you, the diagnostics looked fine - and identical on both units. I rang Garmin who declared it to be a Nüvi hardware problem ... and if I just sent the unit in, with a cheque for £60, they would 'fix' it. Yeah, right ;-)

It did eventually burst into life - but I'm not sure exactly what did it. I did go through two other procedures, which tend to reset things in a big way...
  • Go into the main diagnostics (ie hold finger on time/battery indicator for seven seconds). This definitely resets the GPS receiver - it may have some effect on the GTM-21.
  • Downgrade the firmware, and then upgrade again. This tends to reset a lot of things (You may even find yourself temporarily back in St James' Park Smile )
(I don't think you can reload the GTM21 firmware manually, without incrementing its internal version number - and (probably) recalculating the checksums...)
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the tips Phil. I did some more testing and loaded the 2009 EU maps back on to the 610 and low and behold the TMC fired back into life. I then reloaded the 2010.1 maps and it broke it again. My guess is that there is a bug in the 2010.1 mapset or else Garmin need to release a firmware update.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: