Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - satsynchelper.exe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

satsynchelper.exe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: satsynchelper.exe Reply with quote

I note that the latest version of SatSync has installed a permanent process to run named satsynchelper.exe (even though I'm not using SatSync) and the .net framework, also installed, wishes to keep contacting the internet for some unknown reason. I have recently been preventing unnecessary processes to run to speed up my PC and now I have some more, thanks SatMap.

Shouldn't the satsychelper be set to run only when I'm using Satsync? This looks to me like sloppy and inconsiderate programming to me having unnecessary tasks running permanently. Could this be spyware?

Also to run SatSync I have to close down all the other running processes with EndItAll or the PC locks up. Why?
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be another case of Bloat! The excuse usually is that it speeds up program loading. To be fair to Satmap it is just about universal these days. Thanks for the warning, I'll stay with the older version. as I've said elsewhere, if you don't need the latest frills I can give you a copy of the previous version.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an issue here. In fact I don't see satsynchelper.exe and can run Satsynch with plenty of other items running.

Using Vista.
Satsync 1.525
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Not an issue here. In fact I don't see satsynchelper.exe and can run Satsynch with plenty of other items running.

Using Vista.

It's in my process list. I'm running XP.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have satsynchelper.exe but it only runs when Satsync runs.

No problem running Satsync on XP Service Pack 2 with other programs running.

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just revereted to 1.203, and satsynchelper.exe is a background process with that version too
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I have just revereted to 1.203, and satsynchelper.exe is a background process with that version too

Or it wasn't removed when you uninstalled the later version? I haven't tested it yet but will do when I get half a chance Smile
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
4ndynorfolk wrote:

Or it wasn't removed when you uninstalled the later version? I haven't tested it yet but will do when I get half a chance Smile

Good point Darren. I should have stated that I did check that it was removed from both the startup list and the running processes after uninstall.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Good point Darren. I should have stated that I did check that it was removed from both the startup list and the running processes after uninstall.

Ah, in which case I'll get my coat Wink
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored the system to what it was just before installing the new SatSync so back on 1.203. Seems just as compatible and useful as with the latest SatMap firmware but without the bloat.

SatSynchelper.exe does not appear in the task list now so maybe it isn't uninstalled by the new uninstaller (I restored using GoBack.)
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand why I get a different outcome to J-K.

I just uninstalled 1.208 again and after a restart, Satscynchelper.exe is definately removed from the task list and the list of processes in the startup tab of msconfig.

After installing v1.203 and restarting it reappears as a running process in the task list. Interestingly, the entry in the startup is now located on the services tab. of mscnofig

I am running XP SP3.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I do not understand why I get a different outcome to J-K.

Please note Darren's reply above. I didn't uninstall it but reverted my system to what it was before I installed it (to get rid of the .NET s/w as well) as if from a back up.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed 1.208 under Vista, and the only Satmap process I see running is SatSYNC1.1.exe when I run the Satsync program. no sign of satsynchelper.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running XP and it showed up in the task list and appears as a service in MSCONFIG
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: satsynchelper.exe Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
I note that the latest version of SatSync has installed a permanent process to run named satsynchelper.exe (even though I'm not using SatSync) and the .net framework, also installed, wishes to keep contacting the internet for some unknown reason. I have recently been preventing unnecessary processes to run to speed up my PC and now I have some more, thanks SatMap.

Shouldn't the satsychelper be set to run only when I'm using Satsync? This looks to me like sloppy and inconsiderate programming to me having unnecessary tasks running permanently. Could this be spyware?

Also to run SatSync I have to close down all the other running processes with EndItAll or the PC locks up. Why?

I managed to get an answer from Satmap on this.

SatSYNCHelper.exe is part of SatSYNC for Win XP. It enables users on Win XP guest or limited accounts to use SatSYNC. It is always on because users with guest or limited accounts do not have sufficient privileges to start it. However, if Win XP owners feel the 1 MB of memory used by SatSYNCHelper.exe has an adverse effect on their systems and they don’t need to run SatSYNC in guest or limited accounts, then they can switch to SatSYNC for Vista or Win7.

If a computer doesn’t have .NET 3.5, then the installer for SatSYNC v1.2XX will guide the user to Microsoft’s website to download and install it. they haven’t heard about .NET 3.5 constantly trying to connect to the Internet and would need more details to be able to answer. They would also need more details with regards to all processes needing to be closed down before SatSYNC runs.

if J-K would like email me with the info I'll happily send the email on to the Satsync developer and ask them to respond to you directly - I'll PM you with my email address.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: