Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT730 or TT740
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT730 or TT740

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j3n24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: TT730 or TT740 Reply with quote

I'm torn between the two at the moment, i was hoping your help could sway me to one or the other.

as far as i know the big difference (for me) between the two are:

(740)
- uses the active mount
- voice command/control

(730)
- FM transmitter
- mp3 player

I'm leaning towards the 730 because I'd like to achieve the below:

1. Play MP3 using the 730 and then transmitting it to my car stereo using the built-in FM transmitter...while at the same time (proceed to no.2)
2. my mobile phone is connected to the 730 using bluetooth
3. i'll manage my calls using the 730 and if i'm in a call, will the conversation be transmitted to the car stereo as well, lowering the music's and sat nav's volume in favor of the phone conversation?
4. what's the quality like (audio, performance, reliability) if set up as above?

the only thing that attracts me to the 740 is the active mount

i hope you guys can share your first hand experience relating to the above.
cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Don't forget the x40 series also has Live Services!
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 940. It does the lot.
j3n24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hi and welcome.

Don't forget the x40 series also has Live Services!

thanks for the welcome and the reply.

i'm not interested with the live services of the 740 though Smile
j3n24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Get a 940. It does the lot.

just a little out my budget, the 940...
and does it play mp3 music?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the x40 versions if you don't want Live Services.

The 730 and 930 are much more flexible and better value for money, and more so if you get an official refurb cheap.

At least with the x30 models you can still subscribe to GPRS traffic which is far cheaper than Live Traffic.

Got my 930 for £180 on eBay as a 'brand new refurb'
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TT730 or TT740 Reply with quote

j3n24 wrote:

if i'm in a call, will the conversation be transmitted to the car stereo as well, lowering the music's and sat nav's volume in favor of the phone conversation?

No, it won't. The handsfree only uses the internal speaker. It will stop the audio transmission via FM whilst in a call.

The quality of mp3s via FM isn't as good as it is via Bluetooth.

Search this forum for problems regarding x20's and x30's handsfree. For some of us they cause the TT to keep locking up, rebooting, repeating words constantly etc.

I would recommend a dedicated handsfree kit and save some cash and get a ONE XL IQ Routes instead.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Andys reply, the combination of a decent handsfree kit such as the iO Play unit (try a search on the forum to find more details as posting a direct link sat next to my tent isn't easy). With this you can stream music from the TomTom (if its equipped with bluetooth AND mp3 playback) and phone calls also go via the car speakers, excellent quality and easy to fit.
If you can do without mp3 playback consider the XL IQ or newly announced XL IQ Live which should be great devices, I like the XL units as they are a dedicated nav unit that simply work, no extra bells and whistles to compromise the hardware. With the new car deck I have it will play DVD disks packed full of mp3, if that's not enough I use a 16GB memory stick plugged in to it, so while my 940, 930 or 720 can all play mp3 I don't tend to use them for music too often - Mike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 730 to send directions via bluetooth to a Plantronics earpiece and handle my Motorola K1M Krazer phone. I use the FM or audio line-out for playing mp3s off a 16GB SD card. As previously noted, if a call comes in then everything else is muted and you handle the call thru the 730's built-in mic and internal speaker until the caller is disconnected.
The sound is definitely better via the line-out but if you don't have that option with your car stereo then the FM is fine... it's just FM quality of course... so it's fine but not audiophile fine.
In theory all of this should work smoothly but software glitches often get in the way of a smooth operation of the above. The latest software update has made the audio much more unstable for me and the unit often requires a restart or pin reset. If TT ever gets the software right then this unit which is physically well constructed will be a very fine piece of hardware for all of the above.
By the way, although the 730 plays mp3s and can handle playlists, creating a playlist is a royal pain to go through and cannot be done on the unit itself... stupid really.
j3n24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

@mikelalder: I'll check out that iO play device which seems to be an easy yet working solution

I'll now consider the One XL in my option instead of the 740.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also check out phone compatabilty on the TT web site. My 730 isn't compatable with my Motorola V8 and won't work handsfree.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: