Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeday
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the database for a while (Garmin Nuvi 670) & well......it does exactly what it says on the tin. I also use the 24x24 icons & as I've had no alerts without a 24x24 icon displayed I can only assume the disabled Cyclops is well & trully out of the loop.

So might as well delete the Cyclops anyhow as it's dated 7/2007
Browntea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedcam Database complaints - comments/help required Reply with quote

[quote="Darren"].... I received this morning in praise I have received another complaint:
Quote:
....I am a Garmin (255) user and I have disabled the internal database. I am experiencing exactly the same problems with speed cameras declared that are not there (and have not been there for a long time, or maybe never), wrong speed limits, wrong direction etc. Also the reliability of the warnings is doubtful too with sometimes only a single 'bong' and then nothing....

Quote:
...I'm certain that our data is very much better than this but I want to find out why some Garmin users are having such a poor experience.
Not having a Garmin to hand, is there any possibility that it could still use the Garmin Demo data even if unticked...some issue with install where the wrong folder is being selected in POILoader? Or any other suggestions ...

Hi I've been using the Tomtom OV2 files for sometime and they are good. Recently bought a Garmin GPSMap60Csx, (mainly for hiking, but have the navigable roads database too) and have been playing with it for road navigation. I loaded up the camera database two months back and thought I'd done something wrong, so last month tried again very carefully, using default POI loader settings. Result, some completely missed and some very late alerts. There is no pre-existing camera poi list that comes with this unit - so no conflicts. Don't know what the problem is but probably isn't related to Garmin pre-supplied camera pois. Cameras it missed alerts or was late on alerts included: Mobile:23235, Gatso:55354 and Gatso:1977, but these do display on screen, so it's not the database that's missing entries. Hope this helps. Regards Browntea
RonnyGold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Problems with Garmin Reply with quote

I have a Garmin 770 and I have disabled the speed cameras because it kept on warning me even when there were no cameras there. In the beginning I thought that maybe there were cameras there at one time and have since been removed, but now I see that it is a problem. Onto the problem about wrong speed limits, I have also had bad experience with that, then again, being an optimist I thought that the speed limit has been changed on that particular road but after reading all these posts I see that it is a problem. I travel all over England and Europe so for me it is a problem. Any remedies???
Lotus26r
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong speed indications Reply with quote

SpencerJames1972 wrote:
Whilst I generally find pocket gps miles better than any other system thanks to all the member and the site for keeping on top of things (as best as possible) given the speed the goverment put them up!

It is slightly frustrating when you are told the speed limit is 33 mph in the average 40mph zone during the road works on the M25 juntion 26 - 28.

In fact all the speeds seem to have gone goofy since I last downloaded 6 weeks ago.

Will down load again this weekend and let you know if the issue has been fixed.

The annoying thing, I do 500 miles per week and have only ever found 1 camera not in the system (on the A1 Northbound), but one of you lucky people must have beat me to it! Happy Driving

Is this because you selected KPH rather than MPH?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpencerJames1972 - As Lotus26r says you are probably loading the database with POILoader set to KPH rather than MPH. Try reloading and make sure it's set to MPH.

Browntea - You'll only be alerted to cameras if you are over the speed limit. If you are below the speed limit they'll appear but not alert. Does that help?

RonnyGold - Can you provide specific examples of cameras you are being warned of that don't exist? What do the alerts say? With regards to the Speed Limits issue, have you checked POILoader is set to MPH when loading the database?

-----

When posting problems here it would help enormously to provide examples of where you see certain behaviour and what you see exactly. Sadly, someone stating they are having problems with Speed Limits doesn't tell us what the issue is and the symptoms. The more information you can provide the quicker we get to the solution.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong speed indications Reply with quote

SpencerJames1972 wrote:
It is slightly frustrating when you are told the speed limit is 33 mph in the average 40mph zone during the road works on the M25 juntion 26 - 28.

In fact all the speeds seem to have gone goofy since I last downloaded 6 weeks ago.

You might want to check you installed them with POILoader set to MPH and not KPH?

Whilst 33mph doesn't equate to 40KM/H it does come close to 50 and I suspect that is why ALL your speeds are out!
gzkbbx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: mobile and specs alerts + Tax Paid checkers Reply with quote

I think that some of the reports for mobile camera on the A1 and M1 are most likely the mobile teams that check the validity of a cars tax disc not actual mobile speed guns. The duty teams normally display a board but not always.

There does seem to be a possible problem with the database for the Derbyshire Specs system with a gap in the centre that is within the average system and the positions of both ends being slightly out of line with the latest camera layout. Same also for the Wetherby A1 cameras.

Travelling along the A170 towards Scarborough you have every potential location for mobiles and they do it seems cut in irrespective of the speed you are travelling which with the chime and the MP3 voice can be a bit irritating. I plan to recheck that I am loading MPH/Feet but as the problem does not happen on other roads I am not sure that the MPH/Feet is the root of the problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Garmin Reply with quote

RonnyGold wrote:
I have a Garmin 770 and I have disabled the speed cameras because it kept on warning me even when there were no cameras there. In the beginning I thought that maybe there were cameras there at one time and have since been removed, but now I see that it is a problem. Onto the problem about wrong speed limits, I have also had bad experience with that, then again, being an optimist I thought that the speed limit has been changed on that particular road but after reading all these posts I see that it is a problem. I travel all over England and Europe so for me it is a problem. Any remedies???

Number 1 remedy I'd suggest is to use a decent database that get's updated regularly!

Hmm, let me think... Try the PocketGPSWorld.com one :D

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Garmin Reply with quote

RonnyGold wrote:

It would have helped if you had pointed out that you weren't a subscriber here and the issues you mention are with Garmin's OWN database!

This thread is for issues with ours which we are trying very hard to identify.

Your issues can be resolved by subscribing to ours whose quality is very much better than Garmin/Cyclops.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: mobile and specs alerts + Tax Paid checkers Reply with quote

gzkbbx wrote:
Travelling along the A170 towards Scarborough you have every potential location for mobiles and they do it seems cut in irrespective of the speed you are travelling which with the chime and the MP3 voice can be a bit irritating. I plan to recheck that I am loading MPH/Feet but as the problem does not happen on other roads I am not sure that the MPH/Feet is the root of the problem.

From Scarborough to Thirsk (44 miles away) I only counted 3 mobile sites...

MOBILE:7945@30 (nr Brompton)
MOBILE:7944@30, Heading:90 (nr Snainton)
MOBILE:13008@30 (nr Thornton le Dale)

we have 7 mobile sites and 4 gatso's on the 4.5mile road from my house to bradford!

i think the garmin warnings are an initial 'beep' and then repeated beeps if you remain over the limit?

MaFt
RonnyGold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Darren. your right, sorry. being a beginner I didnt realise.

Paulb2005. Ive lost count so I dont have any specific places of wrong warnings.
RonnyGold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Database Reply with quote

Darren.

Now that i have the database, do you reckon that i wont be having any problems???
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Database Reply with quote

RonnyGold wrote:
Darren.

Now that i have the database, do you reckon that i wont be having any problems???

I certainly hope so. We have thousands of Garmin subscribers and only a very small number of reported issues, and even fewer we can replicate.

But we are here to help Ronny so if you do get an issue, please let us know.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that all of the Garmin gps units display the camera id when you get a warning. I know my i3 does on the red bar across the top of the display.

A typical alert says:

50mph Speed Alert Ahead
Speed Alert: 50mph
Alert: GATSO: xxxx-50

If you are able to stop safely you can then note the camera number/id on the screen. It can then be checked against the master list here at PGPSW.
Browntea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Regarding Garmin speed alerts...
Browntea - You'll only be alerted to cameras if you are over the speed limit. If you are below the speed limit they'll appear but not alert. Does that help?

PaulB2005, hmmm I'll have to check - could be. I'll not be able to report back due to holiday for a few days, but I'll check that idea out and report back, thanks. Appreciate the advice. Browntea

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: