Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC keeps scanning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC keeps scanning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: TomTom TMC keeps scanning Reply with quote

I have just purchased the TomTom USB TMC, but all it does is keep scanning for a traffic signal. I have manually entered the frequency for Classic FM but it comes up with the message 'unable to find a station at 100.0. Finding another station'. It then just continues scanning. Does this mean that the Classic FM station is not strong enough, although it is okay on my radio.

I have a TomTom GO 530 with the latest maps and firmware.

Gerry
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom TMC keeps scanning Reply with quote

GerryJ wrote:
I have just purchased the TomTom USB TMC, but all it does is keep scanning for a traffic signal. I have manually entered the frequency for Classic FM but it comes up with the message 'unable to find a station at 100.0. Finding another station'. It then just continues scanning. Does this mean that the Classic FM station is not strong enough, although it is okay on my radio.

Gerry

Does this occur while you are travelling or just at home? If the latter, it could be that you are in a poor reception area. I assume you do not have an athermic windscreen which sometimes can cause poor reception although the latest TMC antenna are better than just a couple of years ago.
BTW Classic FM is on 99.9-101.9 FM depending upon where you are, but your device should find the signal by itself...
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this occur while you are travelling or just at home?

It occurs at home and in the car.
puzlid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: TMC Scanning Reply with quote

Had the same problem for quite a while, mine was the operating system. Which one are you running? When I upgraded to v8305 last week i got nothing on the rds plus another load of problems, thanks to Mike I have now rolled back to v8302 and all is working fine. I have contacted Tom Tom and was told there are issues with the v8305 and there will be an update soon. I have found with the rds it’s very good when you pick up a signal, I live in Ramsgate Kent which does not always get the signal however when I travel a few miles up the road I always get an update.
Hope this helps

Paul

Tom Tom 730T v8302
Western& Central Europe 2GB v825 2157
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it on both 8.350 and 8.302 and I get the same problem.

Gerry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Scanning Reply with quote

puzlid wrote:
I have contacted Tom Tom and was told there are issues with the v8305 and there will be an update soon.

So TomTom actually mentioned an update to 8,350 would be available soon? - Mike
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cured the same problem on my setup by moving the aerial 2 inches from the edges of the windscreen
puzlid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Rds Issue Reply with quote

Recived this on an e mail from Tom Tom

Thanks for pointing this out. Could you send me your system information? Although you rolled back to the previous version, it may assist in determining the exact fault. Hopefully we'll be able to release a new update solving the issues shortly.

That was on15/5 assume they are still running round like headless chickens trying to find out whats wrong.

will post the answer when i get it.

Paul
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed TomTom support regarding the continual scanning of my TMC. They emailed asking me to delete the application files then reinstall the application files and then run the clear flash tool. I did this but it did not work. I have just received another email asking me to send my GO 530 and TMC receiver back for repair. I am very reluctant to do this.

As my 530 is working fine other than this TMC problem, I can't see there is a problem with the 530, unless I am missing something. To my mind the problem is either the TMC receiver or the TMC signal on Classic FM is not strong enough. Does anybody know of a way of finding out the strenth of the TMC signal? I live in the Barnstaple area of North Devon. Any help would be appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry, I have sent you a POI file by e-mail that you can use to work out the distance you are from the nearest transmitter as well as the correct frequency for your area so give that a try, you can find some details on how to use it in This Thread - Mike
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Gerry, I have sent you a POI file by e-mail that you can use to work out the distance you are from the nearest transmitter as well as the correct frequency for your area so give that a try, you can find some details on how to use it in This Thread - Mike

Thanks Mike. Manual tuning doesn't work either.

Gerry.
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had another email from TomTom support asking me to replace the 'mctx.dat' file with the one attached to their email. Looking at the contents of the file they have sent (22220) is totally different to my existing file (looks like a load of rubbish). Can anybody confirm who has a working UBS TMC receiver on Navcore 8.350 that the mctx.dat file contains 22220. The TMC receiver still does not work with the new file.

Gerry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a known issue a while back, resetting the gibberish to the "22220" (without "") is certainly worth trying as this used to fix similar problems last time RDS-TMC failed this way I guess your file currently looks something like this:

TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpç - Mike
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the contents of my old file.
'TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpçƒT ×±wù'

Replaced it with the file that contains 22220 and it still does not work.
trooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to V8.3.5.0 and found that my plug-in RDS no longer worked. It is not seen at all by my 930. I tried reverting to V 8.3.0.2 which I loaded onto SD card but it is still not seen by the device.
TT have said its just a coincidence that it doesn't work and nobody else has a problem with RDS following the s/w upgrade!!
I am being asked to return it for repair.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: