Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not working/never worked.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not working/never worked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Not working/never worked. Reply with quote

Guys Sat-map just wont get a fix :-(

I got it well over a year ago for a particular trip, saw it wouldn't be any good so didnt use it. I've now got it out of storage updated the SW but still no luck.

the symptoms are

turn it on leave it on a large lawn in a big garden and after 30mins if you're lucky you might get a fix. Take it to a big wide open Golf course walk the dog for 90 mins it never gets a fix.

As the thing is well out of warentee and Satmap aren,t answering my emails are then any user tricks I could try before I bin it? I dont mind pulling apart as it really is useless as is.

cheers

MArtin
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Rather than "bin it" which seems a bit drastic for something fairly expensive,I would give Satmap a ring and see what they say.Don't quote me on this but I think I saw somewhere that it was guaranteed for two years but I may be wrong.

Some folk on this forum have benefitted from returning their unit to Satmap for the aerial "retuned" and have reported good results.Satmap say that 5% of their units need this.

They run a refurbishing service which,among other things,retunes the aerial ,for £25 I think it is ,so a retune on its own won't cost that much even if you need to pay.

Don't give up on it yet it is a great piece of kit.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Some folk on this forum have benefitted from returning their unit to Satmap for the aerial "retuned" and have reported good results.Satmap say that 5% of their units need this.

Please do contact SatMap, their number is +44 (0) 845 873 0101 and I am sure they will be able to fix the device, once setup it should acquire the GPS position fix in well under the time it takes to put walking boots on, my device is usually ready in under a minute - well worth getting it working as its a cracking unit - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not working/never worked. Reply with quote

martin_b wrote:
Guys Sat-map just wont get a fix :-(

As the thing is well out of warentee and Satmap aren,t answering my emails are then any user tricks I could try before I bin it? I dont mind pulling apart as it really is useless as is.

Are you an MP that's got his Satmap on expenses?

As Bosun has pointed out the warranty is for 2 years.
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Bosun wrote:

Please do contact SatMap, their number is +44 (0) 845 873 0101 and I am sure they will be able to fix the device, once setup it should acquire the GPS position fix in well under the time it takes to put walking boots on, my device is usually ready in under a minute - well worth getting it working as its a cracking unit - Mike

I was in the Lakes last weekend (Borrowdale) and started a walk and it took about 30 minutes to get a fix ! Others with Garmins were up and running in seconds. I found it a little embrassing that my unit costing three more would not lock on. If was dispalying Satellites were there (yellow) but would not lock (orange).

Any ideas or recommendations.

Many thanks

Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike777 asked for
Quote:
Any ideas or recommendations.

Has if worked better before? If not then you might consider contacting Satmap by phone.

If it has worked better before or as a good idea in any case leave it stationary in the open for a while. Most of us find that after we have finished putting on our boots it has a lock. Moving it while it is trying to get a lock seems to make it more difficult to get the first lock.
Satsync 1.525
Tony_P1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin. Call Satmap as others have suggested. I had your problem, and the Satmap folks re-tuned the aerial free of charge. It now gets a fix just as quickly as my Garmin 60csx, and holds the signal better than the Garmin when under cover.

Tony
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in for Repair now,

Fingers crossed!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: