Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverpeak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shuttle1981 wrote:
Dear PGPSW
Can you please advise your membership to NOT download the latest application 8.350 software as there is a major bug which reduces the spoken volume down by at least 50 %.
So at normal road noise level the device is difficult to hear when the unit is on 100% volume.
Why TomTom cannot get there software to work is beyond me, there is a perfectly good volume bar at the bottom of the touch screen to reduce the volume if required.
Many thanks
Clive Watson

I had a similar problem when updating to 8.35. The way I was able to fix this was to go to "Change Preferences", then "Volume Preferences". Somehow, the update process checked the "Link volume to noise level" option, or if it didn't, it changed it's behavior. I unchecked this setting, and I'm back to the higher volume levels that I had before the update.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are seeing who has which bug from the latest update, I'd like to be added to the 530 with reduced volume list. I only bought the 530 for the speech to text function so I could watch the road and hear the street names in the directions. Since the update I cant hear squat, especially if the van is moving! As a travelling engineer on home calls, I rely on the TT for directions all day, almost everyday. I have to look at the 530 screen now almost more than the road, to make sure I'm heading in the right direction! Not a good thing for road safety...

A fix sooner than later would be great TT!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar problems with sound.

I deleated the lot from SD card and internal (backups all round in case).
Loaded a 'good' version - again from back up. Then downloaded the direct 8.350 from Mike I think it was who posted about 5 pages back.

Did a reboot, downloaded good old Kate, who must be getting a bit long in the tooth now. Checked volume settings like riverpeak, I also noted that speech had been turned off!! so turned it back on.

All is well.
Also have to say that it finds the satellites a hell of a lot quicker on start.
have a 720 that was 'upgraded' to 730 and it is now working a treat.
Checked all my POI warnings and camera warnings and they all seem OK.
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT responded to my support ticket today regarding the low volume level, first time I have ever seen this on mt TT720.

Had a lot of instructions which I am currently following, but the bottom line was back-up manually certain folders, format hard drive, run flash tool, install 8.350 from Home (already downloaoded of course) and then restore copied folders. I've never done this before so it's probably not a bad thing to

Once this is done I'll report back and see how it goes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Is there a Glutton for Punishment emoticon here? Razz
Well, David, if there isn't, then I deserve one! I deleted everything, checkdisk and full reformat. Then copied an old backup onto it, deleted the spare loose files and went to get the latest application files. With a half hour break to watch Have I Got News For You, it's taken me about three hours to get the device reloaded with app 8.350 and map 825 - TT servers kept refusing to talk to me, but after many, many repeat attempts I have at last got there (it felt just as if they'd released map 830, servers going all clunky). Sorry, can't test it just yet as Vera's asleep next door and it might be dangerous (to me) to let rip with 100% volume to try it out!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - it worked.

I used to run the standard Western Europe map n the 720 and then when I Moved to Australia ran the Australia map from the SD card as there was not enough room on the HDD to store it.

Now, having formatted the hard disk, then run the flash tool, then connected to Home to download (from my computer where it was stored) the latest 8.350, and then updating, plus copying back across the files Tomtom told me to save before formatting, I found all worked fine and more importantly the sound/volume is back to normal.

I then installed the Australia map on the hard drive since there is now room and all works swimmingly well. And all on the HDD.

I also notice how the acquisition of a GPS signal was slow after I had upgraded the other day (as some have also reported) but this is now back to normal and the planning of a route is back at standard speed (same as when I used the SD card) whereas again, 8.350 seemed to be a lot slower.

I think this comes down to the changes people have made or the age of the unit as to whether 8.350 (or any other updates) have the correct effect when installed. I wonder if a few rogue files create problems such as this update did, and the fact I have cleaned and started from scratch means there are no previous navcore versions (of which I have about 4-5 I think), leaving remnants on HDD?

If anyone wants the instructions I can send them on, and it took about an hour start to finish to get it all working.

As I'm about to come back to the UK for a week tomorrow, it will be a good test but all seems so far to be the right solution.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's 740 traffic servers apparently went down across (as TomTom says) 'all of North America" this afternoon, Eastern Daylight time.

Considering there is NO 740 traffic service in Canada whatsoever Evil or Very Mad , let's say the USA.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:

edit: like some other new navcores, when you browse the map it shows you a floating arrow tip that shows the distance to home/ destination, plus an arrow showing North in relation to the direction you should be heading.

The Blue marker is to your current GPS location, not to north.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
If anyone wants the instructions I can send them on, and it took about an hour start to finish to get it all working.

Yes please - my few hours efforts last night didn't make the slightest difference!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:

As I'm about to come back to the UK for a week tomorrow, it will be a good test but all seems so far to be the right solution.

Post the instruction in this thread as I am sure quite a few people will be interested in trying whatever you did, out of interest if you tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box what is the Navcore version insalled, 8,350_9980 or something else?

Enjoy the flight 24 hours in a metal tube ain't my idea of fun - tried a couple of times - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for smiles - because that was the only thing I didn't do last night (I thought a full format was good enough) I ran clearflash this morning. It downloaded and installed MS Virtual Earth 3D Beta! Rolling Eyes

And now Vera's brought me my van keys which have just been through a complete cycle in the washing machine - there's "wet" and nice smell seeping out of where the battery lives. Could be an interesting trip to the shops this morning! (the 1GB memory stick on the keyring seems to have survived).

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(the 1GB memory stick on the keyring seems to have survived).

Unless the stick is fully sealed the stick should be ok until it dries out. Once if dries contacts could corrode so if you already have the data else where it might the worth putting this one somewhere warm to dry for a few days. It might even be worth seeing if you can split the case open. Even if just to get the bulk of the water out and then to backup contents, if needed.

Personally id be nervous of plugging it in and if i had the data anywhere else i'd scrap it...
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The Blue marker is to your current GPS location, not to north.

I thought the arrow on the left was pointing to my GPS location, and the arrow on the right surrounded by a circle was pointing north?
spannersatcx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT520 after installing latest app 8.350 - volume inaudible even at 100% - unticking link to noise level made no difference.
Submitted it to TT, got a standard scripted reply (which really needs updating due to errors in it) to backup, format etc. Which turned my 520 into a paperweight!

Anyway returned to previous app version and all's well again.

Interestingly home does not now offer the update to 8.350 even though I am at a previous version, can only assume it's been removed.

Back to the clear flash tool, whenever I run it all that it does is launch Norton Security Suite uninstaller, what's all that about?? Shocked
madbanana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere - does anyone know please if this update will allow more than 360 phonebook entries?

On a TomTom 730 (borrowed previously) I get to 360 of 590 phone numbers transferred from my Nokia E51 and there it stops. I have to cancel the transfer and there are no numbers in the TomTom phone book

Am I doing something wrong?!

Thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 16 of 39

Jump to: