Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:

3. Operate My Go does not work

4 No updated dll is offered when trying to Operate my Go

7. GPS fix is a lot slower than with 8.302 and in fact, I can't get a fix inside the house where I could get 4 - 5 satellites before.

On 3 & 4, even after the unit has updated and restarted it needs to be disconnected and restarted as does Home otherwise you will get a message similar to "this device is not supported".

On 7, I have noticed a lack of GPS signal strength and number of satellites on both my units, this could be an atmospheric anomaly or something with the GPS system but my suspicions would be more towards a bad GPS Quickfix file or a bug in the new firmware.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
richard345 wrote:

3. Operate My Go does not work

4 No updated dll is offered when trying to Operate my Go

7. GPS fix is a lot slower than with 8.302 and in fact, I can't get a fix inside the house where I could get 4 - 5 satellites before.

On 3 & 4, even after the unit has updated and restarted it needs to be disconnected and restarted as does Home otherwise you will get a message similar to "this device is not supported".

On 7, I have noticed a lack of GPS signal strength and number of satellites on both my units, this could be an atmospheric anomaly or something with the GPS system but my suspicions would be more towards a bad GPS Quickfix file or a bug in the new firmware.

Yes, I have done all those, including a pc reboot and a pin reset.

The fix back on 8.302 was less than 30 seconds in the same position indoors within 15 minutes of the attempt with 8.35

Out in the car this lunchtime, I got 5 sats in 15 seconds or thereabouts.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS behaviour particularly on the 940 is wierd. I am sitting here with my unit on the window still looking at the GPS status screen and it looks like a graphic equaliser display. In the circular part of the display the satellites are switching on and off in sequence and none of the three which are blue are showing above 30 on the strength scale. Using my GlobalSat unit I can currently see 10 satellites, on both TomToms I can only see nos 15, 26,27,28.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Update screwed my TMC (720T) Reply with quote

I have used today, and all seems fine save for the TMC
which now does not appear at all, where it always used to. Evil or Very Mad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: 8.35 Update Oddities Reply with quote

Previously the volume on my 730 would begin to distort after 80% and would be unbearably overloaded at 100%. Now the volume at 100% is as loud as the unit will go without distortion. So for me, the lowered volume level was a reasonable change and it seems to blend better with using my bluetooth earpiece. That is, if I turn up the volume for using the bluetooth earpiece but then later disconnect it, then the internal speaker is not blasting out at overdistorted volumes.

However, I cannot figure out the new icons in the browse map view.
1) I found and tried the green circle icon marker. Since I can't seem to turn it off after activating it I would consider this inclusion minimally useful but more annoying.
2) The yellow, and red markers don't seem to give accurate distances to anything... blue, I'm not sure.

For example. If on map browse I set a location that I know to be 18km from my home/current position the red and yellow markers indicate a distance of only 14km when map is on max. zoom. As I zoom out then the distances displayed on the icons decreases down to 8.4km (green) and 7.6km (blue) before they stop displaying altogether. In other words, the displayed distances vary depending on my zoom setting and never equal the actual distances between home and the location I've inputted.

I think I understand the concept of the icons; Yellow = distance to home by road and Blue = distance to home in a humanly impossible straight line and Red = distance to destination from home (or is it current location?) but the distances they indicate seem to be way off. I tried deselecting showing POIs and Favorites but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else notice or experience such anomalies? Or am I simply misunderstanding how to read these things?
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disable the markers by browsing the map, selecting the advanced option and deselecting markers
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a fair trial yesterday (Bristol to Porlock and back) on my 920T and was sickened by the poor volume. So I copied my previous app 8.302 onto SDHC card and used that today for Bristol to Tooting. The volume reverted to usable. Coming back from Tooting, I took the card out and ran home on device's internal app 8.350 and could barely hear anything on the motorway, despite driving at mega economy speed of around 55mph (my van is in good nick, 14 months old, so it's not a banger for noise).

So I'm sticking with 8.302 and will get round to moaning at TomTom - it looks as though there are enough others with this volume problem for me to decide it's the 8.350 doing it. I can (and have done) sit here and switch from 8.302 to 8.350 and back again to prove the volume problem. I could video it (the difference) if I thought anybody would pay me any attention, but I suppose TT will tell me to adjust the slider in volume preferences. Evil or Very Mad

Incidentally, yesterday the second spoken instruction got repetition "At the roundabout roundabout ...."

RDS-TMC is working as before (and I'm no lover of it), with different announcements - previously something like "Traffic delay on route now 1 minute. No faster route available." is now "The traffic delay on your route is now 1 minute. You are still using the fastest route."

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wazzzzupmate wrote:
You can disable the markers by browsing the map, selecting the advanced option and deselecting markers

Yes, but it is all or nothing. It would be good to be able to select and deselect the green marker icon. As it is, once it is selected it appears to be there forever (although you can move it around) and deselecting the markers box turns them all off.

That may the necessary route to take however if I can't get them to display accurate distances though.

I would have been much more enthused if TT had added an option to calculate routes for multiple destinations (itinerary doesn't do it) or send you to your destination on the correct side for parking.
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volume hasn't really affected mine,You can notice it but ive got no problem hearing it when driving,But i have sent tomtom a email saying about the volume,I thought the more people say the better chance they will get something done about it,I read what people said here so in my email i said it was very poor sound.
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up-Date

Just connected my 540 and let home download any new updates.

All computer voices now reporting as compatible. and are working fine.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem for me with this update is that the Phonebook entries no longer display names, just long entries of seemingly random numbers and letters mixed together. The phone number does follow at the end but there is no way to ascertain who each phone number belongs to. I've tried deleting all Phonebook entries and use Get numbers from phone option to reinstall but that makes no difference. My phone is a Motorola Krazer K1M
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I have the green marker icon figured out. If you go to your home location and set that as the marker point then the green dot and green distance icon disappears.
The Red icon only appears when you have a destination set.

Now if I can figure how to get the other icons to display distances correctly then that'll be something.

Last edited by 0101 on Thu May 07, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
GerryJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a minor problem after updating, with the battery charge icon. If you fully charge the battery and then switch onto battery power the battery icon drops immediatly from the fully charge display which it never did on the previous firmware.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8.35 Update Oddities Reply with quote

0101 wrote:
I found and tried the green circle icon marker. Since I can't seem to turn it off after activating it I would consider this inclusion minimally useful but more annoying.

To clear the green marker, just set it to either your Home location or your Destination location.

Quote:
I think I understand the concept of the icons; Yellow = distance to home by road and Blue = distance to home in a humanly impossible straight line and Red = distance to destination from home (or is it current location?)

Yelow is distance to Home, as the crow flies
Blue is distance to your current location, as the crow flies (turns grey if you do not have a GPS fix)
Red is distance to set destination, as the crow flies.

Quote:
The yellow, and red markers don't seem to give accurate distances to anything... blue, I'm not sure.

For example. If on map browse I set a location that I know to be 18km from my home/current position the red and yellow markers indicate a distance of only 14km when map is on max. zoom. As I zoom out then the distances displayed on the icons decreases down to 8.4km (green) and 7.6km (blue) before they stop displaying altogether. In other words, the displayed distances vary depending on my zoom setting and never equal the actual distances between home and the location I've inputted.

The distance shown is supposed to be the distance "off the edge of the screen" measured from the centre of the screen, so it will change with zoom settings. It seems to match the scale marker shown at the top i.e. if you drag the map horizontally with your finger along the scale, the distance shown on the marker increases correctly.
Actually, more accurately, I think it is the distance from somewhere on the "flag" itself, as you can see the numbers change if it has to move position on screen to avoid something else (another marker, the map scale bar or the Lat/Long coordinates display)

This creates the oddity that if you drag (say) the green marker JUST off the screen the flag sometimes shows a slightly different amount, depending which edge of the screen you choose.

Overall, I think it is supposed to be an "indicator" of how far away things are, rather then a supremely accurate measurement.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Andy_P for the best description of the new colored icons in Browse Map view that finally explains how these things work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 11 of 39

Jump to: