Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newby question about maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newby question about maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentkruzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Newby question about maps Reply with quote

Hi
Been looking at buying a new SatNav when I was offered a used Garmin 310. Thought I would give it a try to see if I would actually use it. So far I'm more than happy with what appears to be a unit that is nearly 2-years old.
Had to get a new screen mount, but great little unit. Far better than TomTom on my old PDA.
I've updated the unit software, loaded the PGPSW cameras & Ash10s camera manager. I have the CD and loaded and upgraded Mapsource too.

I've re-registered the unit in my name (after the previous owner had to call to confirm he sold it to me). The map update utility on MyGarmin tells me my maps are upto date. The version seems to be City Navigator NT 9.02. On the unit its v9. However reading on here there seems to have been several updates since the unit was first used in June 2007.

How can I tell what version I really have?

Also is TMC worth it? I have the aerial.

Thx
Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newby question about maps Reply with quote

kentkruzer wrote:
Also is TMC worth it? I have the aerial.

Welcome to the forum, the RDS-TMC is free to use once you have the receiver, all you do is plug it in to the device and put up with the string wire aerial across your dash/ windscreen. I prefer to connect the RDS device to the cars aerial, this improves signal strength and reduces wires in the car - there are plenty of posts detailing how to do this if you find reception isn't good enough - Mike
kentkruzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike.
So what does the 'premium' TMC from Garmin give me?

Anybody able to answer my question regarding identifying the map version?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to settings, maps, and at bottom of the screen "about". The very latest version is 2010.1. I suspect yours will show 2009, and not even 2009.1.
kentkruzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gatorguy6996.
I've got Settings/Maps/Map info and its here I see 'City Navigator Europe NT v9' then below [1] UK & Ireland.

So assuming they are old maps, why does MyGarmin tell me it is up to date, or is this common?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: