Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which speed camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which speed camera database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomgol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Which speed camera database? Reply with quote

I have just bought my first Satnav, a Garmin nuvi 5000 to fit into my truck and have been using it at a very basic level for a several weeks. The unit came with 3 months free trial to Garmins(?) speed camera database but after that runs out I have to pay. FAir enough, I don't mind doing that. However I would like to hear from more experienced users about which database to use. Would I be better signing up to the Garmin one (I have incidently found a few errors in using it over the past few weeks) or the PocketGPSWorld one on this site. I have looked at a few posts on this issue but I am worried that the PGPS appears very complicated to use/load. I'm not a technical moron but I don't want to spend hours fiddling around getting it setup and updated every time there are changes.

Any non partisan and unbiased views would be much appreciated. Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave others to comment on the quality of ours in comparison but installation on Garmin is a breeze.

Install Garmin's POILoader app, download our database, unzip and use POIloader to install. Probably the easiest of all the devices.
Tomgol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one post which appeared to suggest that you have to make a complicated selection of different files to load! Is it simply the case that everything downloaded is installed?

Incidently how does your database compare in size to the GArmin one?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to choose your database type and the country, nothing more than that. Very simple. See the install guide here which explains it all.

It really is very simple.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomgol wrote:

Comparing sizes (ooh err, missus!) is a bit tricky.
The PGPSW one is open about its data - you can see everything on the map on your device and on the website map too. On the other hand, the manufacturers keep the details about their coverage well hidden.
On the TomTom, there is no way to see a camera in *their* database on the map, it only shows up as you actually drive past it. I suspect it may be the same on Garmins. But on the PGPSW one I can just count up the entries.

If you are interested in the stats, THIS PAGE gives a complete breakdown of the camera types and numbers that the PGPSW database currently covers, and a post in the forum every week gives details of how many new sites have been added with every new weekly update, but I bet you wont find anything like that from Garmin!

All I can say is that lots of people run BOTH on their devices for a while to see how they compare - I do this on one of my TomTom's and while their data has improved hugely, it still misses LOTS.

To be fair, the one advantage the manufacturer's ones have at the moment is they are more sensitive to the direction a camera is pointing, so you are supposed to get fewer alerts for cameras facing "the other way".
This 'heading' data is available in the database from here, but the manufacturers currently don't implement it for third-party add ons.

To me (as a camera verifier) it makes no difference. I *prefer* to be warned of all the cameras I might pass, otherwise I cannot know for certain that they are correctly logged.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomgol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one post which appeared to suggest that you have to make a complicated selection of different files to load! Is it simply the case that everything downloaded is installed?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh didn't you just ask that Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timewarp!! On Fire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: