Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765T - Anyone here got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765T - Anyone here got one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't take 18+ hours for the download on broadband.

On my nuvi 255WT the download was 3.0Gb - chunky but not unmanageable.

I do seem to recall the process getting bogged down at the first attempt - it gave an ever-extending series of dots across the screen, which made you think it was processing but actually it wasn't getting anywhere. I kicked the process off again without further problems.

Dales.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that TomTom generally will calculate a reroute faster than Garmin, but the difference is seldom more than 2-3 seconds in my use. Haven't found it to be a problem unless turns are very close together. I suspect that Garmin's "snap to road" might be ever so slightly more aggressive, delaying the reroute just a little, but no real evidence of that. As for speed limits, here in the States we have just the opposite of your experience, with the TA maps usually only displaying speed limits for major highways, sometimes incorrectly, never local, whereas Navteq nearly always shows the correct speed, even on neighborhood streets. But overall I've found both to be very capable navigators. If TomTom would simply pay more attention to the quality of their Home and application updates I'd be much more likely to recommend them over Garmin. My 760 simply works, never requiring a reset since new, well over 16 months. My TomTom930 has been more problematic.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map download problem solved, still took 5hrs plus to complete by now loaded on Garmin.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd day of testing, set for fastest route:

On some regularly used local roads the algorythm is different than TomTom and does not make use of some perfectly acceptable 'shortcuts', rather it keeps to AorB roads i.e. certainly not optimised.

I am getting very frustrated with the voice option ONLY giving street names. Today 80% of country roads did not have any street name visible anywhere near to the junction. However, in most cases, road numbers were clearly visible on signposts. I am convinced that my old GO720 system with Road numbers and street names is much more practical.

Anyone with similar gripes??
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you wish you had of bought another TT
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am getting very frustrated with the voice option ONLY giving street names.

The 765 i have here reads out road numbers. Got the latest firmware and Voices installed?
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulB,

Firmware up to date and have just downloaded latest text to speech file.

Situation is:-

On most local roads ONLY the street name is spoken, i.e. as shown in text at top of screen.
On my local main road the signal is inconsistent, at one place the road number is given (A20) and 2 miles away only a street name (Maidstone road) for the same highway.
On motorways and motorway junctions the road number is given.

Speed limit signalling is also inconsistent:
For the A20 from Maidstone in the Ashford direction NO speed limit is shown for 10 miles, until approaching Charing, after that a 60mph signal shows and changes to 40mph, correctly as you pass Charing.

The issues may relate to mapping???????? although the latest 2009 update is installed???

Will continue to try out!!!!!!

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those issues will relate to data in the maps.
gzkbbx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: New User of Garmin 765t Reply with quote

Having had my Garmin a few days I would say that I am yet to be convinced.
The first upgrade was an experience in itself. The Garmin site is slow and being just before Easter very overloaded. Quite why Garmin leaves its programs in packed for and uppacks each time is a pain.

I have registered for my trial 30 day experience of Cyclops but thus far to say I am underwhelmed is giving it a good shade (I can't find any of the cameras even in simulation). I would try your database but you don't offer a free trial.

My testing where I am locally has shown a major flaw in the algorithms as in the village of Helmsley Garmin routes everyone down a narrow alleyway between two pubs (width of alleyway less than eight feet), The main road is around the next door church. (I think this is a Garmin issue as my original in car VDO Dayton Navteq unit did not do this). Testing of the quickest route from Helmsley North Yorkshire to Luton shows an even worse error as it prefers the A1 even though the M1 has just had its fiftieth birthday.

The freephone number show in the literature does not actually get you Garmin but the nice person from Dyson Vacuum cleaners

I have loaded the NT and English Heritage POIS but the Icons still dont show.

The manual should be in the box not just the quick in many languages.

Quite waht the relationship is between Garmin and Trafficmaster I cannot tell as it does not seem to use the dat fed from the blue poles along the roads.

I am sure someone with more experience will come to my assistance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin TMC data is fed from Traffic Master but it isn't delivered from the blue poles you mention, instead it is transmitted from a number of different commercial radio stations spread across the UK.

The Speed Camera database from this site will be more up to date than the Garmin offering, I would also say it is far more accurate.

Sorry I am not much help with the other issues you list as I don't have the Garmin model you own - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Camera Database - The Garmin one is woefully inaccurate. There are a few cameras loal to me that are over 3 years old and when i last checked 3 months ago where not on the Cyclops Database. See this thread for a few reasons why you should choose the PGPSW database over any other.

If you have a 765 then you'll have a TMC antenna in the box. It attached to the power lead and needs to be strung across the windowscreen. It picks up traffic data and shows it on the map and allows you to route around delays. The signal can be ropey in some areas.
Vormulac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the general concensus on this now? My other half wants a satnav for her birthday and I had thought that what with the real time traffic update service I would decide on either the 265WT or the 765WT (to get the lane assist), but it sounds from reading this thread as though it's only blind luck that gets you where you are going if you are using a Garmin what with the shutdowns/screen freezes/etc?
I'm not happy about the thought of the missus trying to navigate somewhere at night only to have the satnav lock up for no good reason - for reliability am I going to be better off getting a TT?
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 765T for a month (with latest available software down loaded to it) and have driven about 1,000 miles with it. In that time it has not given me any problems. One vote in favour of Garmin.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, I don't think any of the xx5 issues you've seen are pervasive, with many initial application problems already addressed with application updates. I haven't seen many recent posts of problems and, at least in North America, the 2x5's have been extremely dependable and well-received. Do you already have a sat-nav? My advice to a lot of owners who already have a device with Navteq maps is to get one with the "other guys" maps (or vice-versa) if they plan on owning two pnd's. Often you can find locations in one that may not be in the other, or roads may exist in one mapset that don't yet appear in the other. As far as simple operation, the Garmin nuvis are generally easier to use for someone who's never had one before IMO, tho TT's are certainly not difficult. But as an example, the first time my wife used my Garmin, she successfully entered a destination with no help from me whatsoever. The TT operation took a little help. The same for another aquaintance new to nav devices who had a bit of problems when first presented with the TT interface. Just my 2 pence worth Smile
Vormulac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point, she's not into 'tech', so would appreciate as straightforward an interface as possible. She always hated trying to do anything on the TT3 I had on my PDA.
I am very tempted to give Garmin a try and see what happens in terms of reliability, there are a few people saying they haven't had any problems, so I guess as with any piece of technology you accept that there is a chance of failure.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: