Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Have you used your device on the road yet, or justt connected up to your pc to do a Windows Explorer backup? (You have done one haven't you?) Laughing

I think I have seen some references to having to have the device actually get a GPS Fix and then waiting for a day or so before the maps are availale.

I also presume you have registered the machine with the TomTom web site?
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Rich, Have you used your device on the road yet, or justt connected up to your pc to do a Windows Explorer backup? (You have done one haven't you?) Laughing

I think I have seen some references to having to have the device actually get a GPS Fix and then waiting for a day or so before the maps are availale.

I also presume you have registered the machine with the TomTom web site?

Hi

20 mins ago I took it out of the box and connected it for the first time, so its not been on the road or got a fix as yet. I have not done a backup, but it sounds like you are suggesting I should!

As I already had a TT account with an old device it asked me if I wanted to switch my account to the new 940 so I guess it has registered it in my name on the TT website? Or am I presuming too much!?

cheers

rich
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Please do a Windows backup as soon as possible. It will get you out of trouble at some time in the future!!

You should register your new device with a different e-mail address if you still have your old one and connect it to Home. This will stop any confusion on the TT servers when two different devices connect with the same address. All features, paid or not and especially Maps are tied to an individual device by the device serial number and e-mail address.

Have a look at the site FAQs regarding Windows explorer backups HERE There's so much useful information for us all.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - starting the backup now.

As I no longer have the old 910 do you think there is still a risk of confusion as I cant connect it anymore to my pc/Home. I only have 1 email address and dont really want to set a second one up unless I have to.

thanks
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, in that case, I think you will be OK with the one address. It might just be worth contacting TT Support to confirm that you only have the one device.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again

ive signed into my account on the tomtom website (havent done so for a couple of years as I defected to Garmin on a Nokia!) but Im sure there was a button for "my device", but I cannot see it. Im sure it used to list your device and serial number, so that I could check if it had the new or old go listed.

But maybe it has changed since my last log in?!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on my first TomTom, so I can't remember either!
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
I'm still on my first TomTom, so I can't remember either!

Fair enough! Thanks for all your help. Backup done and much quicker than I thought it would be.

Rich
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been able to get 825 using the Latest Map Guarantee? I'm still only seeing 815...
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
Anyone been able to get 825 using the Latest Map Guarantee? I'm still only seeing 815...

A few people have, but not everyone. If it's not there by Monday, you'll probably have to ring TT Support.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the TT Customer support guy who told me March was almost spot on Laughing

theripper
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Toneloc427 wrote:
Yep, that's why this is so upsetting. I bought my 930 back in mid-December (good deal) and waited until the end of January to turn it on so I could get the new maps.
Oh my goodness, I hope you don't live to regret this strategy - when people have had problems with LMG in the past, the only solution has been to provide TomTom with a scanned copy of the purchase receipt, to prove they've only had the device less than 30 days!

Once again, I have to give TTNA their due - I called earlier this evening expecting quite a hassle, but to my relief I phoned once, was told that I would receive an email with instructions to attach a screenshot of the LMG offering me 8.15, and actually received the email in under 5 minutes. I took screenshots, uploaded them to the query in my account. Phoned back to let them know that it had been updated, and after 2-4 minutes on hold I was asked to go to "Update My Go" in HOME. Sure enough, BOTH NAM and WCE maps were there for download.

No fuss, no bother, no BS receipt scans (I did explain that I had purchased the device in December but hadn't turned it on until Feb 9th). Obviously, it would have been best if it had worked right away and offered me 825 automatically, but I have to say that this was surprisingly painless and quick.

At least there's one thing us Yanks can do better... Razz
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Toneloc427 wrote:
sonypc100 wrote:
Surely you can switch it on and use it without it registering with tomtom? If you dont connect to home etc then how would tomtom know its in use?

When you first turn it on it creates a "birthday" file that tells HOME when the unit was first turned on. It uses this to determine your LMG eligibility.

Strange that, I purchased my last TT in November 08. And looking at the Birthday file it has a date of March 08, and some other files in the same folder that show April 08.

I have just looked at my last FULL backup from a few days ago and the files have not changed.

As I said, this stopped working sometime in August; maybe it was actually fixed much earlier and I just happened to be working on devices that were older than yours, or maybe they fixed HOME so that by the time you activated in November the loophole was closed. I don't know HOW it worked, only that it did work for a while. I also seemed to have variable success rates with different models, for whatever that's worth.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
At least there's one thing us Yanks can do better... Razz

Dammit, we let you get away with chucking our tea into Boston harbour and next thing we know you're doing TT support calls like you're English!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to update my NA Map under LMG until I called TTS, and within 24HRS I had the new 825 NA Map, and I am in the UK, so are things changing with TT Support for the better?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: