Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IQ Routes Suck !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IQ Routes Suck !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijwoo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: IQ Routes Suck ! Reply with quote

Two cars guided by tomtoms set off early one Sunday morning from Val d'Isere heading to the Eurotunnel . One uses IQ routes and TMC, the other doesnt. Which one goes through the centre of Paris ?

Needless to say IQ routes has now been disabled !
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ooppsss
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds obviously bad, but presumably the logic is that there are fast routes into and out of Paris, and the direct route is slower. Paris would obviously add time, but perhaps overall should be better.

Did the cars actually take those routes, or was this just theoretical?
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh id be interesting in knowing that as it was the IQ routes which swayed me towards tom tom and away from garmin
ijwoo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Did the cars actually take those routes, or was this just theoretical?

Unfortunately the cars took the routes with me coming off the worst . So the routes were actual not theoretical ! It wasnt the only significant difference either, the two routes shared very little and the sections of my route were consistently worse than the "dumb" route. In total it took over an hour longer on a 10hr journey.

I might forgive it if any part of my journey was quicker, but all I can say is mine was characterised by heavy traffic over large sections of the journey whilst the other was clear.

Even on the outward journey, mine selected an IQ route which was 20 minutes longer than the "dumb" route, sending us different ways within minutes of getting off the Eurotunnel. Again I naively trusted mine and ended up catching my friend up at a service stop.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, do you know what map versions you were both using?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which traffic system were you using as IQ routes only uses historic average speed data and has no idea of current traffic without this?
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Just for info, do you know what map versions you were both using?

Quite an important question, I've noticed a difference in regular routes since upgrading to my 740, e.g. from the Tunnel, it now wants me to use the A16 to CDG, whereas with the 910 it was always A26/A1, I had to force it to use the A16. This is between midnight and 3 am. I've limited experience of either in busy periods, but at night there should be less than 5/10 mins difference. It would be nice if TT's told you what they were doing on IQ routes.
ijwoo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the RDS TMC addon with the GO 740. I'll have to find out what map version the older TomTom was using, but the 740 is the latest European 2GB map.

The traffic on my route was moving at about 75% of top speed, so probably not enough to register as a traffic delay via RDS TMC ??

The traffic density was pretty consistent on my journey, in other words normal for a Sunday, at the end of UK half-term week and in the middle of French school holiday periods ! But I bet IQ routing does not factor this in.

On this experience atleast, it is a nice idea but ultimately rather flawed and arguably pointless - you are still very much at the mercy of lady luck.

Had the journey been in the UK it would have been interesting to see if HD traffic would have been sensitive enough to override the IQ route.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued and planned the same route on my GO920 using IQ routes. and map version 815. I got the same route through Paris. Turned off IQ and avoided Paris as expected. I also accepted toll roads.

The premis of IQ routes is a good one, but as with all forecasting based on statistics, you need enough data before the forecast bears a resemblance to the real world.

I also ran the IQ route based on leaving Val d'Isere at 11:15 on a Thursday. The result was very different, i.e. avoided Paris like the plague. So clearly it is taking account of forecast road conditions on different days.

As IQ routes data is associated with the map download, it will be interesting to run the same journey using the next map release to see if we get the same answers.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sad person that I am Sad , I reran the Val D'Isere to Calais route with the new 825 map. I planned the route for a Sunday morning and it still routes via Paris forecasting a journey time of 10:06. Crying or Very sad

That being said, the forecast time is fairly close to the actual time experienced by ijwoo1. So IQ routes is accurate for this route. The problem is why does it belive the faster route is even longer Censored

I then used "Find alternative" to avoid Paris - you can just select the whole city to avoid - the reroute then avoids Paris and forecasts a slightly longer journey time of 10:08 Confused

I suspect that there is something on the alternative route that is being heavily weighted skewing the result in favour of Paris as the non IQ routes forecast is 8:55 and this avoids Paris like the plague Razz
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: