Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MAP UPDATE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MAP UPDATE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin CN2008 map update you used is 2 years old, released in April of 2007. The latest is 2009.1 which I suspect has quite a few changes over the old map you are using.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come of it.......there are roads around me in south London that were changed in 2004 and still not updated. its the same all over the place......
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is with any map from any source. But it doesn't mean that numerous changes haven't been made. You just found a couple that hadn't. Eddieo, so you verified those roads are not in the new map update? How did you check, online or in person?
BlueCharger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmick wrote:
But what brasses me off more than that Garmin expect you to know the exact longtitude and latitude, road name, area, date and time then expect you to email or fill in a complicated form so Navteq can put the error right.

Why not just ask us to go out and draw the maps ourselves as we drive

Somebody else with the same opinion as myself, little wonder I get confused with it all. Very Happy

This latest update of map is 3GB downlod unpacked it's 11GB to install by the time it's on the Satnav it's back to a 3gb. Or so the customer service tells me.
I don't have that kind of space on my PC. So no up dated map for me!! Sad
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also available on DVD. Garmin understands some owners are still on dialup or for other reasons are unable/unwilling to download the update. Problem solved.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get behind the open source projects that are starting to happen around the world. Send them your info, and get the map updates for FREE (and legally).

The sooner the Open source projects get enough customers to hurt TA and Navtech, the sooner we all get maps that really are as upto date as possible.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed about the 2009.1 maps is that they include a lot of roads that weren't on the previous versions, specifically those in dock areas.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Get behind the open source projects that are starting to happen around the world.

Slightly OT: Do you have any pointers to OS projects compatible with Garmin?

BeatO
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the nu maps lifetime and have installed Europe NT 2009.1 on my Zumo 550. The installed file is 1.6Gb and I can assure you that it's all in there. The maps are up to date too as I reported a couple of local road problems middle of last year and these have appeared in this latest version.
I was also in Milton Keynes area today and the Linslade bypass is on the new map, my colleague did the same route with his Nuvi 300 and he showed as being offroad at that point. It all seems good to me and I'm well happy that I've got value for money with the lifetime maps.
markydd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: garmin/maps Reply with quote

Very Happy i had the same problem on the same 2 year old road in ireland in january, laughed about it for a while then got fed up with the recalculating and swithed it of!!!!!
how do you get more pois into the unit? keeps telling me to reorganise pois...how?
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ireland and the maps generally were starting from a low point. Until recently, there was an orgy of road building with new and upgraded roads were becoming available seemingly on a weekly basis.
I had the 2008 maps and recently purchased the lifetime updates and downloaded the 2009.1 maps.
Even in this short time there have been a large number of changes to the database. Roads are still not perfect but definite progress has been made. I hope for further updates in the next update and expect that as major projects finish in the next few years the mappers will be able to catch up with the many changes. Smile
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmick wrote:
In my opinin the new maps are nothing more than a money making scam, I went home to Ireland last year after updating my Nuvi with the then new 2008 update. I drove on roads in the Republic just outside Dublin which were completed 2 years prior to this visit, however my unit still thought I was driving through fields, if I heard "recalculating" once on that journey I heard it a hundred times. But what brasses me off more than that Garmin expect you to know the exact longtitude and latitude, road name, area, date and time then expect you to email or fill in a complicated form so Navteq can put the error right.

Why not just ask us to go out and draw the maps ourselves as we drive

SILVERFOXE
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Chap's & Chapess's I too have just down loaded the latest map from Garmin & when driving along the A2 M at Dartford in Kent it still show's me driving in a field , exactly as it did with my old map which was 3 year old & the road was in situ even then .Some how me think's that garmin are taking the PEEE!!!! I mean just how out of date are these supposedly LATEST MAP UPDATE's

nuvi 350
map Europe NT 2009.11
Peter Pearce
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I think Garmin are a crowd of Joker Joker & should be Gun Shoot Out Gun Shoot Out

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: