Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD traffic rapidly going downhill
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD traffic rapidly going downhill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched on at 8 this morning which is half an hour before I leave for work. It showed no incidents on the map at all until 9 which is after I've arrived. This is clearly unacceptable and I've raised a support ticked with TomTom to vent my dissatisfaction. Everything works fine once it eventually updates so this must be a service related issue. Maybe as more users are coming onboard they haven't planned for the increasing capacity requirements? Anyhow they have got until April to sort this out or they wont be getting any more money from me!
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few server and connection issues recently but usually find a reset or asking for a weather report get the connection going.

HD Traffic has improved considerably in Scotland - its expanded into Dundee and Fife this week and is covering much more of the North of Scotland with the mobile derived data rather than that from other agencies. Its also starting to show Road Closures within Edinburgh which is proving useful
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same again this morning M1 Jct 13 southbound, nothing showing on HD Traffic, the unit had been on and running for 40+ minutes.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Same again this morning M1 Jct 13 southbound, nothing showing on HD Traffic, the unit had been on and running for 40+ minutes.

Any chance you can let TomTom know - they may actually do something if a few people complain Evil or Very Mad
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:

HD Traffic has improved considerably in Scotland - its expanded into Dundee and Fife this week and is covering much more of the North of Scotland with the mobile derived data rather than that from other agencies. Its also starting to show Road Closures within Edinburgh which is proving useful

Still doesn't show the roadworks/restrictions on Shanwick Place, Leith Walk and the lane and speed restrictions on Queensferry Road in Edinburgh though. Well, not for me anyway! My 730 is showing all of these. The RDS/GPRS system is also telling me the average speed of congested traffic (as of the last navcore upgrade) now too. I don't have this with the HD system.

I agree coverage has improved in North East Fife and the southern parts of Tayside but the HD system is still missing much of the useful information (as above for example) that the RDS/GPRS is still providing yet were told the HD system is more superior. Road closures/hazards due to snow and ice over the last few days have been present on the RDS/GPRS system but not a single mention of any of this on the HD system.

I get the impression they can't (won't?) merge the information that they are providing on the RDS/GPRS system with the HD system for some reason as it just seems so inconsistent at times.

Personally, I don't feel I am getting the same quality of information on HD that I am still able to get for free on RDS or for £2/month via GPRS at the moment. Time will tell and hopefully come March when there coverage has reached 'Full Strength' if it's as good as it should be for a premium subscription service.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the Edinburgh roadworks, I've spoken to Tomtom both before and after purchase and they intend any closures / diversions etc that last more than a fortnight to be dealt with by users in Mapshare updates. I've modified the entire Edinburgh map, making around 40 changes so hopefully these will propogate to others

Other issue is some of the closures are car only which only mapshare can deal with, not the hd traffic
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all worked perfectly this morning and also accurately showed a short delay on my route in. They have got to sort out the inconsistencies though as I can accept the occasional problem (related to signal reception and server issues) but 4 consecutive mornings is unacceptable for a paid for service IMO. Let's see what next week brings!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
In terms of the Edinburgh roadworks, I've spoken to Tomtom both before and after purchase and they intend any closures / diversions etc that last more than a fortnight to be dealt with by users in Mapshare updates. I've modified the entire Edinburgh map, making around 40 changes so hopefully these will propogate to others

Other issue is some of the closures are car only which only mapshare can deal with, not the hd traffic

That's the most daft thing I've heard. The MapShare positively asks if this is a permanent change that affects all road users. If there are roadworks, they may last a while but they aren't going to be removed again are they? And they aren't a closure perhaps but a source of potential delay.

Strikes me that this was said by someone making up a reason for the lack of roadwork info in the HD display.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIT i used my new 740 this morning between 8am and 9, and lost traffic for 10-15 minutes twice. Yis was in NW surrey near the M25. On both occasions I could d/l weather and fuel prices so it wasn't Vodafone. Is it TT's traffic server getting overloaded in rush hour?
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
FWIT i used my new 740 this morning between 8am and 9, and lost traffic for 10-15 minutes twice. Yis was in NW surrey near the M25. On both occasions I could d/l weather and fuel prices so it wasn't Vodafone. Is it TT's traffic server getting overloaded in rush hour?

You have a good point there - I have been able to do google searches whilst the traffic hasn't been updating so that confirms it is completely a TomTom server issue - the fact that it is only in the mornings must suggest rush hour overload. This is not very impressive at such an early stage of the service as they will have to keep on top of the increasing number of users or very few will continue subscribing.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem this week and I was getting the icons for the incidents but the chevrons showing the length of the incident were missing.

I do not think this is a problem unique to the HD Traffic servers, I have had this sort of issue before on the GPRS Traffic service and also this week the servers for Home updates were having issues. There was some server maintenance going on so someone probably messed up somewhere.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I had a similar problem this week and I was getting the icons for the incidents but the chevrons showing the length of the incident were missing.

I do not think this is a problem unique to the HD Traffic servers, I have had this sort of issue before on the GPRS Traffic service and also this week the servers for Home updates were having issues. There was some server maintenance going on so someone probably messed up somewhere.

I don't think maintainance or any specific server problem would only coincide with the rush-hour each day - this must surely be more likely a capacity related problem?
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get too many problems connecting but the traffic info is just as rubbish as the gprs and tms. I drive 4000ish miles a month any where from Aberdeen to Plymouth from Yorkshire and get stuck in queues not shown, drive through non existent queues etc etc. It even manages to show the rush hour hold ups into Leeds about 2 hours after they have cleared. Useless.

I won't be paying for that once the free trial is over.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
In terms of the Edinburgh roadworks, I've spoken to Tomtom both before and after purchase and they intend any closures / diversions etc that last more than a fortnight to be dealt with by users in Mapshare updates.

By that logic then, if we are to use mapshare to report road closures due to roadworks (and not actual road closures), then eventually there will be no roads left to drive on! What a rediculous thing to tell somone. Unless my interpratation of mapshare is completely off!

This is exactly what the various icons of roadworks and lane restrictions etc are for. To allow us to make informed decisions on temporary or indeed longterm incidents either before we travel or en-route to that area.

tkerby wrote:

I've modified the entire Edinburgh map, making around 40 changes so hopefully these will propogate to others

Personally I wouldn't be using this method that they sudgested.

If you've modified your map via mapshare, how, when the roadworks finish, will you/mapshare reinstate the modified roads to their original open status? Will you have to manually re-open these roads? If thats the case it defeats the purpose of the live traffic information if your having to modify this yourself IMO.

I think your missing my point slightly. Embarassed The majority of the correct information IS in the hands of TomTom's traffic dpt. as it's being correctly transmitted/recieved on the RDS/GPRS system. The problem is, that it's NOT being received (or transmitted perhaps) by the HD system. So this being the case, there should be no need to make modifications with mapshare. This has been my experience of the HD system since day one and is well documented on these forums and fed back to TT support with little success. Despite them acknowledging this anomaly as being an issue between RDS/GPRS and the HD system.

Why they can not rely the same static (roadworks/lane restrictions etc) pieces of information that they are transmitting on RDS/GPRS over to HD is what I don't get. Were told HD superseids the RDS/GPRS info afterall.

phillevy wrote:
....this must surely be more likely a capacity related problem?

Which doesn't sound good if that is indeed the case. Especially as they are not yet at 'Full Strength' by way of coverage!

So, for me is HD Traffic going downhill? It's never really made it up any hills to go down them yet. Confused
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:

Any chance you can let TomTom know - they may actually do something if a few people complain Evil or Very Mad

Fat chance, there have been loads of complaints for 3 months with the stuttering voices on the x20 and x30's and have tomtom (or should that be trashtrash) fixed it? NO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: