Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MAP UPDATE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MAP UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: MAP UPDATE Reply with quote

I have a Garim Streetpoilet 2720 i am looking to bay a new CITY NAVIGATOR EUROPE NT 2099 CD to up update . GARMIN IS LOOKING £59
+ VAT . ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THIS AT A BETTER PRICE .P M me please.

Last edited by david1949 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the Garmin Nüvi, StreetPilot & Other Garmin PNDs forum from Membership Sign Up Problems.
------

That price is pretty much the same price you'll find anywhere else for a legit copy of the maps. Shopping around you might find them a bit cheaper but i'd be wary of any that were significantly cheaper.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP UPDATE Reply with quote

david1949 wrote:
I have a Garim Streetpoilet 2720 i am looking to bay a new CITY NAVIGATOR EUROPE NT 2099 CD to up update . GARMIN IS LOOKING £59

How are Garmin going to know what the road system.if it still exists, will be like in 90 years... Laughing Rolling Eyes

Sorry, couldn't resist... Seriously, Garmin are the only source for updates, they send out the DVDs for free (if you have the device registered with them). The unlock code that you have to obtain and pay for as part of the update/install process is what they charge for and as all this is done via their web site so they have ultimate control.

Don't be tempted to pay for an update DVD from eBay as this won't include that vital unlock code.
DragonTattooz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find it offensive that they charge the kind of money that they do for map updates. The final straw for me was my Ford system. The Navteq (owned by Garmin) map software was garbage and they wanted $200 for updated software after charging $1800 to install it in the vehicle. That, my friend's, is a straight ripoff in the style of Micro$haft.

I have no problem supporting programmers who actually benefit society. But, the people who use the Micro$haft business model, i.e., write inferior software, sell it, then charge people to fix it, is a business model that I will not support. So, I don't pay for map updates anymore. When Garmin got my $1800, they got all the money they will ever get from me for software.
Goldmaxx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: MAP UPDATE Reply with quote

david1949 wrote:

I've just updated my maps, instead of the one off upgrade for £59 I went for the lifetime upgrades for £99.00 you can update 4 times a year then for the life of your satnav. Another option to think about. I personally think the lifetime update is value for money.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of yearly updates is becoming indefensible....I cannot defend garmin any more, particularly over on a few motorhome forums where TT are the clear leaders based on value for money.....

even the cost of "life" upgrades is expensive when TT offer free upgrades I believe Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even the cost of "life" upgrades is expensive when TT offer free upgrades I believe

Nope. TomTom don't offer free updates. They offer a price based on how old your last map is but the free update is only in the first 30 days of ownership, same as Garmin.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Garmins's free update period is twice that of Tomtom's, 60 days from date of purchase.
BlueCharger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Has anyone had success with the up-date of the map? Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Actually Garmins's free update period is twice that of Tomtom's, 60 days from date of purchase.

30 days is all I got with Garmin. For the Nuvi 265W
Has anyone had success with the up-date of the map?
3GB download expanded to 11GB to be able to install it all to the PC then to the unit, AND you have to be On-Line whilst doing the install Confused
I didn't think there was that much memery/space (3GB) in the unit,

I'm told all POI's go in the unit.
The unit only has sound for the POI's as a Ding Dong nomatter what the POI. Shocked
Just what is the SD card for then?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from the Garmin website:

"Get the newest maps available and navigate with confidence with our nüMaps Guarantee. Simply register your new Garmin nüvi or zūmo at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of first using your device and you'll be able to see if a free map update is available.

Anyone who first used their new Garmin nüvi or zūmo on August 17th or later will be eligible for a free map update if one exists within 60 days of the unit's first use. With our nüMaps Guarantee, you'll be up-to-date when you hit the road. "

The only real need for an SD card would be for additional maps or mp3's.
BlueCharger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only stating what I knew to be so from the email I got from them..

Sorry if it upset you
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....I am reliably informed the maps are 2 years out of date anyway. and my home & European journeys tend to support this opinion.

I have had garmin since 2000 and only update maps occasionally never yearly as its a rip off IMO. I will probably leave it now a few years and buy a new unit as they are getting significantly cheaper.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueCharger wrote:
I was only stating what I knew to be so from the email I got from them..

Sorry if it upset you

Upset me?? Not at all. I don't get anything from Garmin Wink Just wanted to post the correct info so users aren't confused.

@ Eddio, the latest NA map is 3rd qtr/08, so less than 6 months. Someone here may know the Navteq release date for the European maps.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gatorguy6996"]
BlueCharger wrote:

Eddio, the latest NA map is 3rd qtr/08, so less than 6 months. Someone here may know the Navteq release date for the European maps.

yeah right... don't make me laugh Smile
madmick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinin the new maps are nothing more than a money making scam, I went home to Ireland last year after updating my Nuvi with the then new 2008 update. I drove on roads in the Republic just outside Dublin which were completed 2 years prior to this visit, however my unit still thought I was driving through fields, if I heard "recalculating" once on that journey I heard it a hundred times. But what brasses me off more than that Garmin expect you to know the exact longtitude and latitude, road name, area, date and time then expect you to email or fill in a complicated form so Navteq can put the error right.

Why not just ask us to go out and draw the maps ourselves as we drive

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: