Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Navigator 6 Map Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Navigator 6 Map Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 6 Map Updates Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've got TomTom Navigator 6 with the standard maps and GPS device it came with. I am a bit confused because I've heard they do not release new maps for it now, but there must be something I can download to it (in the same way I download POIs etc.) that would update the maps? They must be a good few years out of date now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Chris, what version of map are you currently using, tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box and the resultant screen will display the version number.

The v675 map release was the last one for TomTom 6, if you have a map version that is earlier than v675 it is possible to update the map but even v675 is rather out of date by todays standards, I would look at switching to McGuider for up to date maps and an application that is close to the TomTom in terms of menu structure/ layout etc. There are other PDA based navigation solutions for the PDA if you want to explore options.

TomTom have released version 7 software for Navigator which does use very up to date maps BUT it is only available pre-loaded to specific PDA based phones from HTC and is limitted to specific networks and Countries (O2 Germany being one example) - Mike
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and very informative reply mikealder.

I looked up the version as you said and it says:

6.010 (7720)

Then a little underneath there is a long file name which is:

GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE_v652

Admittedly this doesn't mean a lot to me Embarassed

So is there scope for update here? If so, what is the best way of getting the updates and are they expensive?

Also, I find that when I set a simple route (eg Edinburgh to Northumberland via one simple road - the A68) the sat nav sometimes wants to send me random directions, for example half way down the A68 it was telling me to turn right in to random towns and villages etc. Is this to do with old maps? Should I have the planning preferences set to Shortest Route or Quickest Route? Obviously I just want the most direct, logical route in any case. Are there any other causes of these spurious directions?

Many thanks in advance for all your help, it's really appreciated! Embarassed

Chris
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added another post here but it has disappeared!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit New Topic instead of Reply. Here's your missing reply....

Quote:
By the way, my PDA is an HP iPaq HX2490. I'm using the TomTom GPS receiver that came with Navigator 6, and I also use GPSGate to direct that signal to the Tomtom receiver to Memory Map for Ordnance Survey mapping (for mountain biking).

Thus if I were to change, I'd still be looking for a PDA sat nav which ideally could use the tomtom receiver so that I can still use my Memory Map. I need the bluetooth receiver as the PDA doesn't have GPS built in.

I have found the TomTom device very good when the maps work!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v652 is quite an old map by todays standards so I am not too surprised it has you in fields where major road alterations have taken place in the past few years, the v675 map would be better but still very out of date which is why I suggested you consider other PDA software packages in my previous post.

The PDA and GPS unit will work with various other packages for car based navigation, unless TomTom offer a retail package for the newer TomTom Navigator 7 application I wouldn't bother with them for the PDA solution these days, take a look at Co-Pilot, McGuider, IGo or Navigon which you can try for free for 28 days - Mike
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mike.

I've had a little look in to Navigon MobileNavigator 7, it is compatible with my PDA device.

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/software/pda/1288

Looks very good (although is £100) but do you know:

1) Would I still be able to use my TomTom GPS Receiver with the software?
2) In the years to come will I still be able to update the mapping to new ones?

Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navigon package is under £70 if you only want UK & ROI, full European is £100 or there about.

Try clicking This link and you will be able to download the application for free then try it on your device, although you will probably need a mobile phone data connection via Bluetooth for the free trial to work.

The application will certainly work with your TomTom GPS receiver.

As for map upgrades I am not too sure, they will probably just release a new software version and map at the same time - if you can try it first you will know whether it works for you before it costs you any cash, and 28 days is long enough to know if you like the application or not - Mike
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike, I hadn't seen the UK only one! Not Worthy

I'm currently in the process of installing the software and maps, I'll test it tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

Cheers
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

I downloaded the trial last night and configured it for my PDA/GPS etc.

Today I took went on a nice long drive, stopped (when I got to the 'big' roads), and set it all up. However once everything was in place and the route was set (everything still on from leaving home), it was displaying 'No GPS' or a similar message. I carried on and tried again later.

This time it was saying that the Test needed to connect to the Navigon PDA Portal and it couldn't, so it was shutting down. It did this after every attempt. It did this last night when I set it up too but worked once I turned on wifi.

Obviously I don't have wifi when I'm in a car park off the M6, and surely a sat. nav. system can't expect me to have a wifi connection whenever I need to use it.

So in the end it never worked and I wasn't able to test it. Further to this, I was trying to rotate the windscreen mount (for horizontal mode) and the windscreen PDA cradle snapped. So that's another £15 gone! Evil or Very Mad

Any ideas what the PDA Portal problem is? At the moment I'm not inclined to purchase, but if I thought I could use it without needing a wifi connection on the go I'll give it another shot.

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention in a previous post that the application needed an internet connection, this should be provided via a mobile phones GPRS connection which can be established through Bluetooth - Mke
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, is that for the free trial only or would I require internet for the full version? My PDA does not include phone functions, only wifi availability, therefore I can't get a connection outside of wifi areas.

On another note, I've found a windscreen mount that's 360 degrees rotatable.... sounds perfect!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: