Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom alternative route algorithm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom alternative route algorithm
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom alternative route algorithm Reply with quote

I'm a bit curious about the algorithm TomTom uses when I do not take it's advice and take an alternative route. I regularly drive from Oxfordshire to Leeds and there are 3 virtually identical routes. Quite often I pick one of the other routes from the one TT has picked. As I sail past the appointed junction TT replans and invariably adds 10-15 minutes to the ETA. About 5 minutes later it comes to its senses and settles back on the original ETA. I suspect what it is doing is trying to take me back onto the original route, but why doesn't it immediately replan properly.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

I can only assume that TT still sees the old route as the fastest and will try and put you on that. It will continue doing this until you pass a point (or there are no places it sees that it can turn you around) that it sees as been faster than the original.

Sometimes, a route may be faster even though TT thinks its longer, due to different roads or the influence of IQ routes.

Steve
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Hi Tony,

I can only assume that TT still sees the old route as the fastest and will try and put you on that. It will continue doing this until you pass a point (or there are no places it sees that it can turn you around) that it sees as been faster than the original.
Steve

No. Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. All the routes involve exits off the M40 (to cut across to the M1 going North). The moment I pass a designated exit then the *only* sensible shortest route is to take one of my next two alternative exits. Going back to the exit I just passed will always be much longer. It shouldn't take it 5 minutes to work that out.
First couple of times this happened I shrugged my shoulders and put it down to traffic conditions changing, but I have now observed it several times with no traffic or my traffic function switched off.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read before, probably on this forum, that TT actually calculates the route backwards from the destination to where you are rather than from where you are to the destination. If this is true it could explain why this happens.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I have read before, probably on this forum, that TT actually calculates the route backwards from the destination to where you are rather than from where you are to the destination. If this is true it could explain why this happens.

However it actually works, it still shouldn't do this. The shortest route is the shortest route regardless of what goes on inside the software. And why does it get it right before I get to the next exit.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get a better route using "fastest" route rather than "shortest" which often sends you down the dirt roads in my experience.

As you already know the other routes, I wouldn't worry too much about what the TT is saying - especially if you ignore it's route for your better knowledge one. In the end, it's done it's job right if it gets you there. It's main role is if you DON'T know where you are going or how to get there.

Also, remember that IQ routes may be changing the road data and shows the better ETA once you've passed what it thinks is a slow section of road.
Brodit ProClip mount
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
You will get a better route using "fastest" route rather than "shortest" which often sends you down the dirt roads in my experience.

As you already know the other routes, I wouldn't worry too much about what the TT is saying - especially if you ignore it's route for your better knowledge one. In the end, it's done it's job right if it gets you there. It's main role is if you DON'T know where you are going or how to get there.

Also, remember that IQ routes may be changing the road data and shows the better ETA once you've passed what it thinks is a slow section of road.

Sorry, I was using the word "shortest" a bit loosely, what I of course meant was fastest (seeing as I mentioned traffic), my mistake.

However, this is not just academic. I could envisage TT actually getting me to turn back if it was a route I didn't know well.

As far as IQ routes are concerned that seems to me to be a red herring - since the bit of road between the exit I failed to take and the point where TT changes its mind to the next route is common to both routes so will cancel out.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a journey yesterday where I knew the route I wanted to take, but TomTom (520) kept trying to send me in another direction. On at least two occasions, once it had worked out that it needed to recalclate my route, my version was quicker than the "fastest" version that TomTom had calculated!

This may have been due to changing traffic situations, though I'm bound to do the same journey again in the coming weeks, so I'll check again next time!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is (was?) a problem with the TT map on the M40. I travel from NW London to Leamington fairly frequently. Going north I get sent up the M40, coming south I get sent to the A45/M45/M1. If I ignore this and drive down the M40, the TT tries to send me across to the M1 by increasingly more lengthy routes, untilI get down toward Bicester when it suddenly chooses the logical route along the M40. I think there's a break in the M40 on the map somewhere.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
There is (was?) a problem with the TT map on the M40. I travel from NW London to Leamington fairly frequently. Going north I get sent up the M40, coming south I get sent to the A45/M45/M1. If I ignore this and drive down the M40, the TT tries to send me across to the M1 by increasingly more lengthy routes, untilI get down toward Bicester when it suddenly chooses the logical route along the M40. I think there's a break in the M40 on the map somewhere.

I still don't think this would explain what I see. I get it coming the other direction as well from well up the M1. The fact is that I just need to give it a few minutes and it will discard the previous route and then pick the correct one. This is always before I get to the next exit, so it's not as if anything changed relevant to its route planning over these few minutes. Doesn't really matter, but nobody has given me a plausible explanation for what I see.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
There is (was?) a problem with the TT map on the M40.

This thread pages 5 and 6 - relevant to how good TT have the M40.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that particular M40 anomaly is now cured, Dennis.

However, one of the incidents I experienced yesterday was also on the M40, though travelling northbound. It was trying to persuade me to leave the motorway at J12, even though I wanted to go all the way to the M42.

But, there may have been an accident which was affecting the traffic situation, so as I said earlier, I'll check again next time I go that way.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be that TT has a road speed which is incorrect ie less than it actually is? as a result, it calculates a longer travel time, which is then superseded as you make better progress on that road?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilrhode wrote:
could it be that TT has a road speed which is incorrect ie less than it actually is? as a result, it calculates a longer travel time, which is then superseded as you make better progress on that road?

But as I've already pointed out, the two routes are the same bit of road until the point where TT comes to its senses. I trsvel this route every week. It's always right on any of my 3 routes, except for the few minutes where it's confused after I switch routes.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure when it first recalculates it is not first taking a new 4th route which could be very similar but just that bit different then after a while it recalculates to one of your other two routes?

I must admit I have never seen this behaviour unless there have been incidents on the alternate routes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: