Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed zone warnings Garmin Nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed zone warnings Garmin Nuvi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADRAIN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: speed zone warnings Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a Garmin Nuvi and use the Garmin POI loader. All no problem. I just load Gatsos, Specs, and Mobiles. The pmobiles and redlights just give too many warnings especially in a city. My query concerns the "speed zone" warnings. I only want to be warned about the LOCATION of the ACTUAL speed detection devices eg gatso, specs etc and NOT the boundaries of speed limit zones. There is too much bonging and binging and consequently a warning overload which has necessitated me muting the volume. How do I delete or avoid loading the speed limit zones/boundaries into my POI but retain the camera postions?
Help much appreciated...thanks!
ADRAIN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the Consolidated by Type version of the database rather than Speed Zoned? Also ASH10's Camera Manager utility is an excellent solution that reduces the number and length of warnings that Garmin set by default.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: speed zone warnings Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

ADRAIN wrote:
Hi all,
I have a Garmin Nuvi and use the Garmin POI loader. All no problem. I just load Gatsos, Specs, and Mobiles. The pmobiles and redlights just give too many warnings especially in a city. My query concerns the "speed zone" warnings. I only want to be warned about the LOCATION of the ACTUAL speed detection devices eg gatso, specs etc and NOT the boundaries of speed limit zones. There is too much bonging and binging and consequently a warning overload which has necessitated me muting the volume. How do I delete or avoid loading the speed limit zones/boundaries into my POI but retain the camera postions?
Help much appreciated...thanks!
ADRAIN

Hi Adrain...
The PGPSW database does not alert to BOUNDARIES of speed limit zones, so you cannot be getting alerts for those from the database.

I quite agree though, (and I've never thought of this before) the NAME of the "speed zoned" version of the database is a bit confusing... Suffice to say, it does not have "speed zones" logged, it is ONLY the same camera locations as the other database versions, but split up so you can tell the limit in force at each camera position.

If you are already only loading the Gatsos, Specs and Mobiles, then you will only get alerts for those positions.
Are you getting confused by alerts for the MOBILE sites, where camera vans are very unlikely to be there when you actually pass?

I fail to see where any other alerts can come from unless you have Garmin's own camera database or speed limit warnings installed as well?

(See THIS TOPIC which shows the Nuvi is capable of making it's own audible alerts if you are going "overspeed", nothing to do with the database from here.)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: speed zone warnings Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I quite agree though, (and I've never thought of this before) the NAME of the "speed zoned" version of the database is a bit confusing... Suffice to say, it does not have "speed zones" logged, it is ONLY the same camera locations as the other database versions, but split up so you can tell the limit in force at each camera position.

Hmm I guess it could be easily misconstrued. Sadly the nightmare that would ensue from re-naming is not one we could consider lightly Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Garmin units sound alerts that refer to "Speed Zones" these are Garmins own terms for Mobile Cameras. The alerts do not relate to a single fixed location but an area or "Speed Zone" that the Mobile unit can cover - a "Capture Area" if you will. It's possible the OP still has the Garmin database active.

The Garmin database can be turned off using

Tools, Settings, Proximity Points, Change and un-ticking the "Garmin Safety Cameras"

Quote:
(See THIS TOPIC which shows the Nuvi is capable of making it's own audible alerts if you are going "overspeed", nothing to do with the database from here.)

That topic most probably refers to the road speed symbol that appears at any speed on most A roads and Motorways to show the speed limit of that road - just like you can with a TomTom. It doesn't alert you in any way, but as with all of these things can be out of date or wrong. Introduced in the 2008 maps and given wider coverage in the 2009 maps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Quote:

That topic most probably refers to the road speed symbol that appears at any speed on most A roads and Motorways to show the speed limit of that road - just like you can with a TomTom. It doesn't alert you in any way

Ah sorry for my duff info. I misinterpreted it to think the Garmins had an "overspeed" warning like the TomToms can have.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Ah sorry for my duff info. I misinterpreted it to think the Garmins had an "overspeed" warning like the TomToms can have.

for info, some of the newer models do

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they flash and alert a warning if you exceed the speed limit - separate from Garmins or PGPSW database?

Like when TomTom show something like

Speed / Speed Limit

ie

56 / 60

or

76 / 70
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
So they flash and alert a warning if you exceed the speed limit - separate from Garmins or PGPSW database?

Like when TomTom show something like

Speed / Speed Limit

ie

56 / 60

or

76 / 70

ah no, it just shows the speed limit in the bottom corner doesn't it...!

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i thunked....

Been all over Garmins website and various other websites and couldn't find that info.... Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: