Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 540 and TDA Travel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 540 and TDA Travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinnyhill10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Go 540 and TDA Travel Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had my Go300 for four years and a sturdy little beast it's been. I've been using the Traffic service but my new phone doesn't have a Bluetooth modem.

So it might be time to update the Go300. From looking online the Go540 looks like the way to go but the cost of the traffic service is prohibitive in these credit crunched times.

Then I found out that new Tom Tom's offer something called TDA travel which is received over FM.

It seems the Go530 (presumably the older model) has this but I can't find any website that mentions the 540 has it. There's certainly no aerial in the box.

Should I go for the older 530 model or am I missing something and the 540 actually does support it? Or should I go for another model altogether?

Free traffic and hands free does appeal over the old Go300!

Cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are meaning the RDS-TMC receiver which can be used with the x10, x20, x30 and x40 (with the correct type of accessory mount).

RDS-TMC is broadcast via the FM band and when it works it is very good, sadly there are locations in the UK where the receiver doesn't work too well due to the signal strength. If you have no intention of paying for the Live services offered with the 540 then I would look at the 530 or even a 520 if you can find one.
The 520T or 530T comes with the receiver in the box, if you purchase just the 520 or 530 the RDS-TMC receiver can be purchased as an optional accessory later on - Mike
chinnyhill10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I think you are meaning the RDS-TMC receiver which can be used with the x10, x20, x30 and x40 (with the correct type of accessory mount).

RDS-TMC is broadcast via the FM band and when it works it is very good, sadly there are locations in the UK where the receiver doesn't work too well due to the signal strength. If you have no intention of paying for the Live services offered with the 540 then I would look at the 530 or even a 520 if you can find one.
The 520T or 530T comes with the receiver in the box, if you purchase just the 520 or 530 the RDS-TMC receiver can be purchased as an optional accessory later on - Mike

Sorry, it was TMC travel I was interested in!

Amazing that the new models don't actually include it!

I guess I'll have to get a 530t.

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real point in including an RDS-TMC receiver with thex40 range as they are intended to be used with the Live service, they do indeed support the RDS-TM accessory and will work with one if required.

Look around for the 520 refurb which still comes with a 12 month warranty such as This One. dd to that the RDS-TMC receiver which can be picked up for around £20 and you will have everything a 530T can do at considerably lest cost.
The device will come with a map update which is free to use, all you do is update the software which is free then use the Latest Map Guarantee to get the latest map for nothing - should save you over £100 and the 520 with RDS-TM is no lesser devices than a new 530T - Mike

Edit to add - this is now out of stock but give them a ring to see if they are going to get anymore in soon
chinnyhill10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is no real point in including an RDS-TMC receiver with thex40 range as they are intended to be used with the Live service, they do indeed support the RDS-TM accessory and will work with one if required.

Ah, that's interesting. Is it worth having the x40 over the x30?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of capability the x20/ x30 are virtually the same in comparison to an x40 without the Live service subscription.

With the 520/ 530 you get the mp3 player which is only available on the top of the range 940. The x40 range do have a far better car holder.

The Live traffic services on the x40 devices use a built in modem complete with its own SIM card so you don't tend get reception issues, but unless you pay the monthly subscription the modem will not work, leaving you with no traffic or any of the other Live sevices - Mike
chinnyhill10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In terms of capability the x20/ x30 are virtually the same in comparison to an x40 without the Live service subscription.

With the 520/ 530 you get the mp3 player which is only available on the top of the range 940. The x40 range do have a far better car holder.

The Live traffic services on the x40 devices use a built in modem complete with its own SIM card so you don't tend get reception issues, but unless you pay the monthly subscription the modem will not work, leaving you with no traffic or any of the other Live sevices - Mike

Well my 530 arrived today and the traffic service seems to work OK once it got the signal.

Have to say that the in-car mount is utter crap! Do Tom Tom think I want to plug in two seperate cables every time I get in the car?

Does anyone do a decent in-car dock for the Tom Tom that I can just plug the FM aerial and power into instead of all this faffing around?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This as it sounds like this third party mount is what you need - Mike
chinnyhill10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a read of This as it sounds like this third party mount is what you need - Mike

Cheers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: