Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP Active 10 map viewer for PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP Active 10 map viewer for PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: SATMAP Active 10 map viewer for PC Reply with quote

Just got first map (Snowdonia) loaded in to active 10 but would like to view map and plan routes on PC before we go next weekend can any one suggest some software for this ideally free.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the on-line planner by the "Hug" you can plan walks on the net, save them to your PC and then use SatSymc to upload them to your device, well worth a try, click Here - as a tip zoom out before you start to move the map to your Welsh area of interest - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info just done route for houseshoe (three peaks sonwdon) very simple to create routes now for some off the beaten track.

if any one can suggest a good route in this area plese let me no
AndyHiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, not sure when you intend to go up Snowdon. Weather awful for the next week at least. if you intend to walk often in Snowdonia i can recommend a cracking guide book called "Welsh Peaks" by WA Poucher. It's really detailed with good photographs of all routes.

There are tons of walking possibilities up there, please make sure you are familiar with the horseshoe and what it entails before you go. Forgive me if your an experienced walker, but i am from the region and grew up with the RAF rescue flying over my house everyday!

No problems in good weather and a head for heights of course! i was on Snowdon a couple of weeks ago and it had solid sheet ice on most paths. There have been dozens of rescues in the last couple of weeks alone!

Anyway have fun whatever you do!
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, although an experianced walker and climber i always air on the side of caution. Have done horseshoe before although in June was a great trip.

Not done to much in the winter months before apart from Breacon beacons November 07, this trip taking my boys again (if you can still call them boys 23,24,26) two brothers and their grown up kids so going to be a great long weekend. (most experianced walker/climber or cavers so agood group)

You say you was up their the other week and lots of ice was that by Crib Goch and how was the route? did you use any special gear?

tips always welcomed

Last time we did it had a few friends that was scared of hieghts so tuck ropes and harnesses which where used for the ridge..
AndyHiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hia again, Crib Goch looked very tricky, you needed ice axe and crampons just to get up the Pyg Track zig zags! There's been a lot of rain over the last few days in Snowdonia, so could be more snow up on the summits.
Be realistic is all i would suggest, many people get into difficulties up there due to the fact they have only got a couple of days there so are determined to summit regardless of the weather.

There is a brilliant and very informative Warden's office at Pen Y Pass car park. If you pop your head in there before starting your walk, they will give you very detailed report on the conditions and the real time wind speeds up on the ridge itself. I was talking to one of the wardens (Alun) when i was up last and he could tell you some shocking stories of the resuces, e.g. "I realised it was getting dark and i have no map and compass on me, so i thought i best call the mountainrescue out to get me". It sounds like you know the score though, hope you have fun. If i can help in any other way just drop me a message.

Andy.
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advise, crampons purchased ready for trip so covered that, warden sounds like a good idea will get up date before setting off do you no if cafe at top has been completed yet and weather they have a weather station with cam so we can see weather conditions get up to minute reports?

I believe that if its heavy going only a small group will go by ridge the others will take a more easier route and all meet at top.

hear rain forecast for north of england hears hoping some make to to snowdon Laughing
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard from itopman? i heard two brothers tragically died this weekend. Shocked
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI... thanks for the consern but we all made it safely thanks, an excellent trip well worth the 4.5 hour drive to get there.

crampons where well worth the investment, although they where the odd one or two not suitably dress for the walk.

now more snow falling may try and make a second trip, really enjoyed some of the snow climbs and supprised how busy it was car park was packed and think half of wales where at the top or on the way up.
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itopman wrote:
HI... thanks for the consern but we all made it safely thanks, an excellent trip well worth the 4.5 hour drive to get there.

crampons where well worth the investment, although they where the odd one or two not suitably dress for the walk.

now more snow falling may try and make a second trip, really enjoyed some of the snow climbs and supprised how busy it was car park was packed and think half of wales where at the top or on the way up.

Ah good, glad to hear everyone made it back safely! I've not been up in wintery weather before, but i should imagine it's spectacular!!
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you ever get the chance you need to go, just ensure you are well clothed and booted/crampons and the rest is fun fun fun

excelent views the mountains seem to come alive compard to summer

Highly recomend it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: