Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Choices choices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Choices choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger-m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Roger, the ViewRanger software on the phone is a good package but not in the same league as the dedicated devices, for occasional use they are great but I wouldn't want to use it in preference to my active10 - Mike

Update...

As previously stated I intended to put ViewRanger onto a Nokia N78. Having got the telephone I wouldn't even take it out of the back garden and certainly not to the Lakes (or anywhere else). Didn't bother evaluating ViewRanger, N78 on its way back to Nokia. Just need Satnav to convince me they are still active re:Request for Information thread.

Cheers
Roger
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally taken the plunge and ordered an Active 10 yesterday.

250 quid including a free deluxe case, 37 quid for the power pack and 85 quid for Dartmoor and Exmoor maps.

Now seriusly looking at a custom map covering Cheshire, Derbyshire, North Staffs and North Shropshire
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of satmap Dave. I live in South Cheshire, almost on a triple point between Cheshire, Staffs & Shropshire. I've got a 100x70km custom map which gives me most of Cheshire, N Staffs, N Shrops & much of Derbyshire including nearly all the Peak District N.P. This covers probably 95% of my walking and I've got the 1:50k Southern Britian for most of the rest.

The custom map is centred near the village of Marton, Holmes Chapel, at SJ 850 675. This should extend from near Chester in the west to near Sheffield in the east, and from Stone in the south to near Ashton Under Lyne in the north. I
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am trying to get my head round the custom mapping concept.
at the moment i have several maps
the main being 1:25 of Peak district and 1:25 of the dales.

Now the Peak district is my home base/main walking area.
the trouble is that the Eastern edge is 'cut' around at best a mile from the front door. I would like to move the full mapping further East say to M1 at Tinsley Viaduct and also move the mapping further South at the bottom to get more of Staffordshire in the 'mix'
its that i am pondering how best to go about this.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now the Peak district is my home base/main walking area.
the trouble is that the Eastern edge is 'cut' around at best a mile from the front door. I would like to move the full mapping further East say to M1 at Tinsley Viaduct and also move the mapping further South at the bottom to get more of Staffordshire in the 'mix'
its that i am pondering how best to go about this.

I originally bought the Cheshire 1:25K, but being on the borders much of my walking strayed into Staffs or Shrops. These counties were very expensive (due presumably to all the urban bits in the south I didn't need). I don't know if they are still prepared to do it, but Satmap let me 'upgrade' my county map to a custom, giving me full credit on the returned map and packaging. If you can't do that now, I would go for a custom and sell the existing map on ebay. Especially as you can get the 1:50K included for £10 - useful for planning a route.
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor wrote:
Welcome to the world of satmap Dave. I live in South Cheshire, almost on a triple point between Cheshire, Staffs & Shropshire. I've got a 100x70km custom map which gives me most of Cheshire, N Staffs, N Shrops & much of Derbyshire including nearly all the Peak District N.P. This covers probably 95% of my walking and I've got the 1:50k Southern Britian for most of the rest.

The custom map is centred near the village of Marton, Holmes Chapel, at SJ 850 675. This should extend from near Chester in the west to near Sheffield in the east, and from Stone in the south to near Ashton Under Lyne in the north. I

I am currently looking at an 80k x 80k map based on SJ 900 500 so very similar to yours. I have also bought Dartmoor and Exmoor map and will also buy the Lake District. We tend to camp on dartmoor or exmoor in the spring and autumn and the Lake District in the summer. Between times Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire at weekends.

I have not had much chance to play yet - only arrived at 3pm and only just got home, but it fired up and found my location very quickly - about 2 mins. Very impressed with the packageing and the instructions look very good.

I wil have a good play at the weekend and get it working with Quo V2 and will start programming it up for our first holiday before Easter on Dartmoor.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: