Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile speed cameras!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile speed cameras!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amalteser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Mobile speed cameras! Reply with quote

On my delivery run in Norfolk yesterday, I drove past a mobile camera in a layby!
Nothing unsusal about that you may say!
But, instead of a marked van, there was a white estate car facing towards me on my off side and a metal speed camera road sign situated at the rear of the car!
At first, it looked just like an ordinary car in a layby!
Then as I got closer there it was, a mobile camera on a tripod!
The camera itself was quite small and had a white body, and merged in to the white car!
Has anyone else seen similar anywhere?
And is this legal, or bending the rules, or what?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rules! There are guidelines but that is all they are. Derbyshire use a disguised builders van complete with GB sticker on rear door and rubbish strewn across the dash.

It won't be long before the Continental approach is tried, cameras hidden in wheelie bins, behind the grills of unassuming small hatchbacks etc etc.
amalteser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mobile speed cameras! Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What rules! There are guidelines but that is all they are. Derbyshire use a disguised builders van complete with GB sticker on rear door and rubbish strewn across the dash.

It won't be long before the Continental approach is tried, cameras hidden in wheelie bins, behind the grills of unassuming small hatchbacks etc etc.

http://www.speedcameras.org/speed_cameras_guidelines.htm

Ah, yes I see what you mean!
Have just done a quick search and looked at the above site!
It would seem that anything goes, apart from the fact that cameras should be highly visible and signed?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the infamous "horse box camera" in Wales too. No "highly visible signs there at all!

Eventually they had to scrap it because all the genuine horse box owners were getting so much flack!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's Derbyshire's disguised van:

Quite how that fits within the "Enforcement cameras are well signed and highly visible in line with DfT guidelines" criteria I don't know!
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Temporary Speed Cameras Reply with quote

I think you will find these are not Speed Cameras but cameras that check your tax-disc!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:
I think you will find these are not Speed Cameras but cameras that check your tax-disc!

Not according to THIS

or THIS or dozens of other reports if you put "Derbyshire's disguised van" into Google. Wink
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalteser, have you reported this mobile unit on the submission page?

iPhone 12
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Mobile Speed cameras Reply with quote

The Cameras in question are normally mounted on tripods and accompanied by an estate car with no attempt to be hidden. These are quite prevelant around East Anglia and normally placed at roundabouts or where the traffic is slower. The cameras are very high-powered and can read your tax-disc. I don't doubt that nefarious methods are used in disguising normal Mobile Cameras Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed cameras Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:
The cameras are very high-powered and can read your tax-disc.

Not sure where you got that from but they don't read your tax disc nor would they need to. For ANPR systems, all they need read is your VRN, from that they have all the info they need inc MoT status, Insurance, VEL, etc.
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2304163.stm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:

Initially I thought the Beeb must have got it wrong but if you read the article there is no mention of tax discs being read by the cameras, just that cameras are being used to check that vehicles have valid tax, MoT and insurance.
alwyndavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The ACPO code of Practice is surely just that. It suits the authorities to claim it only has guidelines but it is a Code Of Practice, frequently flouted .
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Loobyloo wrote:

Initially I thought the Beeb must have got it wrong but if you read the article there is no mention of tax discs being read by the cameras, just that cameras are being used to check that vehicles have valid tax, MoT and insurance.

I don't doubt that you are right but I cannot see the point of these cameras when surely the Mobile speed Cameras can read your numberplate and do the same thing Shocked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:
I don't doubt that you are right but I cannot see the point of these cameras when surely the Mobile speed Cameras can read your numberplate and do the same thing Shocked

Technically they could but they're not connected to the DVLA Database and it is outside the remit of the Safety Camera Partnerships.

The DVLA operate their own roadside checks and these we wholly support. The more untaxed, uninsured, unlicensed drivers we take off the roads the better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: