Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Error help?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Error help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Map Error help? Reply with quote

This has been an annoyance for years.

There is a road that is the shortest/quickest for me to many places, but TT sends me 6 miles out of my way.

I recently ditched Navigator and bought a 720, upgraded to latest map etc. I hoped I could do the Map Correction myself or just download someone elses correction. Oh no. No chance at all, unless I'm missing something.

Here is a link to driving instructions on Google Maps which illustrates the problem (hope it works!):-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=51.136985,-0.262985&daddr=Partridge+Ln&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVhGDAMdTfj7_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=51.136049,-0.263039&sspn=0.00482,0.012982&ie=UTF8&z=17

The distance between A and B is around 100yds, the suggested route is around 6 miles! It's exactly the same travelling in the other direction.

If you move either of the place marks towards each other the error corrects.

I have reported this through TT several times over the years.

I've just reported again through TeleAtlas. The response:- "We apologize, but due to the general nature of your report, we cannot define specific updates to our map database to address it."

I take this to mean that nothing will happen because it's a tad awkward and someone might have to look at a slightly deeper level!

Any ideas or insight guys?

I can't even determine the nature of the error - maybe I'm reporting it wrong and don't know the magic technical words. Maybe it's "a double ended loop-load data control error" or something silly. Smile

It's irritating having to plan an itinerary passing through the middle of this 100yds of road whenever I travel in that direction!

Cheers
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the small piece of road that isn't used between points blocked at all?

iPhone 12
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a gated road?

Looks really strange, and slightly amusing. Obviously it isn't funny if it affects you, but to see it in "Reality View" is rather peculiar!

Can the people who live there navigate from their front door using a Sat Nav? Who knows?

Cheers

Carl
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem a little strange - as you say, there's nothing obvious to indicate why it won't use that particular section of road. If you haven't done so already, it's worth submitting as an "Other error" through Mapshare, or raising as a specific incident with TomTom Support, saying that you can't see how to change it in MapShare, and asking why this section of the road isn't used in navigation.

You probably won't get an instant answer, but it might just raise the awareness of the issue.
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's not 'gated' and has never been blocked, it is all one through-road. I use it at least 4 times a week and have done for years!

There is only one house on that stretch - I don't know them but there is frequently a police car parked there - I'm sure the Police use SAT Nav.....

One of the problems certainly is that the categories of reporting errors don't fit this one!

Most odd.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update from myself, I thought the road was blocked by mapshare, but its not blocked on my unit. Checked all roads around that section, all open and usable! Even did the same pretend route and even on fastest route, still came back as the 6 mile version!

iPhone 12
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's certainly not the people in the one house pulling a fast one and reporting it blocked!

This issue has been happening since TT5 for me!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That section of Partridge Lane shows on the Google map as a thinner line than the rest of Partridge Lane. Presumably this means that it is a different road class. The tomtom will use it as a bycicle route or walking route but not as a car route. If the route starts in the middle of that section of Partridge Lane the tomtom is happy to navigate along it in either direction.
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
That section of Partridge Lane shows on the Google map as a thinner line than the rest of Partridge Lane. Presumably this means that it is a different road class. The tomtom will use it as a bycicle route or walking route but not as a car route. If the route starts in the middle of that section of Partridge Lane the tomtom is happy to navigate along it in either direction.

Yes, that is clearly what is happening. I've tried it as a walking route and all is well. In actual fact, it is a two lane country road.

Now, how to get Teleatlas to change it......
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2k3 wrote:

I wish you the best of luck!

I have reported it on the teleatlas map insight web site as being a "not bicycle only" route as this was the nearest option I could find to describe the problem. I expect that this will be ignored along with all the other changes that I have entered onto map insight over the last two years.
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
C2k3 wrote:

I wish you the best of luck!

I have reported it on the teleatlas map insight web site as being a "not bicycle only" route as this was the nearest option I could find to describe the problem. I expect that this will be ignored along with all the other changes that I have entered onto map insight over the last two years.

Thank you, that's most kind. While you were doing that I was doing exactly the same, so we'll see!

Cheers
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a go a a few things also...

If you set a "Go via" in the middle of the road that's missed, it chooses it fine Shocked - 200 yds in 20 seconds. So it's not a road speed error or turning error.

I've even tried it without IQ routes just in case - makes no difference. It has to be a mapping error but I can't see where (I can usually at work out what the error is!).
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My conclusion would be that the Time to Travel data is incorrect.

If it has been set to 20 mins, instead of 20 secs, then the quickest route will be the 18 mins, 6.4 miles, journey.

This is not the first time this has happened, and there are probably more dotted about that haven't come to light yet.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

If it has been set to 20 mins, instead of 20 secs, then the quickest route will be the 18 mins, 6.4 miles, journey.

That wouldn't have occurred to me at all! But wouldn't it be overcome by selecting 'shortest route'? Or is there more to it.

To my mind the closest explanation so far is that it's been incorrectly classified as walking/cycling only.

There are some good pubs around there - it's probably 'crawling only'!

Thanks for all the input guys - knowing what to ask them to correct must be a step in the right direction.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2k3 wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

That wouldn't have occurred to me at all! But wouldn't it be overcome by selecting 'shortest route'? Or is there more to it.
You're right! Had forgotten that one. It should ignore it. Rolling Eyes

C2k3 wrote:
To my mind the closest explanation so far is that it's been incorrectly classified as walking/cycling only.
In which case it shouldn't let you travel VIA it. Shocked

My understanding is that there are over 100 'bits' of data for each section/segment of road. Any of them could be giving this anomaly.

As an aside, TeleAtlas used to supply the Maps with 9 different Road Classifications. TomTom merged them to have only 3!

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: